Band suggestions

=BK=

So, my favorite band for the past few years has been The Birthday Massacre.

In the past every time I'd try to find a similar band I'd get Emilie Autumn and Soho Dolls. As much as I like Emilie's music there's only a couple songs that resemble TBM and Soho Dolls don't have a whole lot of music. After that the suggestions just go into Operatic Metal.  Recently I found a Youtube channel that uploads a fuckton of Synthwave music and through that I found Dance With The Dead

I've been going through these channels a bit and the music is all amazing but no other band has really grabbed me the same way as DWTD and TBM. Scandroid is pretty close but not quite there. I'm wondering if anyone has any specific bands or groups I should look into otherwise I'll just keep combing through these massive compilations to see if anything jumps out.

Have you tried looking for “Graver” music? Some of that sorta reminds me of the goth rave stuff I’d hear at this club downtown. I can’t really think of any specific bands because it’s outside of my wheel house. 

Maybe try early Skinny Puppy, Cabaret Voltaire, and Killing Joke. It’s early industrial/electronic stuff that might intrigue you.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, VocalVomit said:

Have you tried looking for “Graver” music? Some of that sorta reminds me of the goth rave stuff I’d hear at this club downtown. I can’t really think of any specific bands because it’s outside of my wheel house. 

Maybe try early Skinny Puppy, Cabaret Voltaire, and Killing Joke. It’s early industrial/electronic stuff that might intrigue you.

By "Graver" music do you mean something like this?

Digging into goth club music was my first search a year ago. I actually did find a lot of music I liked that way too.

If you end up liking any of the industrial I can get pretty in depth there, I like a lot of that. 

Try Angelspit as well, I saw that Birthday Massacre mentioned as a similar artist. They’re heavier I guess? Cool sounds though, I like weirdo electricy stuff. 

Kind yeah to the graver stuff, my wife knew that stuff better than I. She liked the Kidney Thieves, maybe they’re worth a look?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, VocalVomit said:

If you end up liking any of the industrial I can get pretty in depth there, I like a lot of that. 

Try Angelspit as well, I saw that Birthday Massacre mentioned as a similar artist. They’re heavier I guess? Cool sounds though, I like weirdo electricy stuff. 

TBM can get heavier than the two I posted so yeah, heavier doesn't equal bad.

Gave Angelspit a quick look. It's almost right but something about the vocals is throwing me. And it's not even that they're not "sing-song" vocals since I can get down with stuff that isn't super pretty singing too.Checking them out did remind me of a song I really like though.

On 1/17/2018 at 18:09, VocalVomit said:

Kind yeah to the graver stuff, my wife knew that stuff better than I. She liked the Kidney Thieves, maybe they’re worth a look?

Hey.

This band actually used to come up on my Pandora station when I used that. Thanks for reminding me of this!

Leading off of this I remembered some stuff I liked that I forgot to save on Spotify when I switched.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, =BK= said:

Hey.

This band actually used to come up on my Pandora station when I used that. Thanks for reminding me of this!

Leading off of this I remembered some stuff I liked that I forgot to save on Spotify when I switched.

Yeah, that album cover for them, we have a picture on our wall autographed. It’s my wifes, she digs them. 

B83418EE-8BCB-43CE-BAEE-BE21AAB9A532.jpeg

• Like 1

Further viewing of that compilation channel has netted me another song. Not quite the same but the same but it inspires the same feeling as TBM and DWTD.

Have you heard of Crystal Castles or Alice Glass?

Also, if you like KMFDM, you’d probably like Skinny Puppy or at the very atleast, ohGr’s solo shit. Maybe Die Antwoord?

Edited by tristy
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, tristy said:

Have you heard of Crystal Castles or Alice Glass?

Also, if you like KMFDM, you’d probably like Skinny Puppy or at the very atleast, ohGr’s solo shit. Maybe Die Antwoord?

Gave Crystal Castles a look. 2 of the 3 songs I heard had some robot vocals I didn't care for but the third was actually really nice. I will look more that way. I know Skinny Puppy. Not really the mood I'm looking for here but they do get listened to. And I know Die Antwoord and I can't say I'm a fan of anything besides Yolandi Visser being all sorts of creepy-hot.

Like, the only things I can think of that give me the same feelings that aren't dark synth music are that one Chainsmokers song.

And this 7Lions song

It's hard to nail down what exactly it is I'm looking for that's why I tried to keep it to similar stuff up top.

• 1 month later...

Hey! I found other things.

Oh, and maybe I should have mentioned this in the OP. They're not in the exact same vein but Garbage is one of my favorite bands too.