EWR Mod Poll: Which are the most Important Companies?

Which companies do you think should be playable (America)  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Which companies do you think should be playable (America)

• WrestlePro
    • WWC
    • AAW
    • APW
    • Beyond Wrestlig
    • Chikara
    • Chaotic
    • CWFH
    • CZW
    • HOH
    • IWC
    • MCW
    • PWG
    • Shimmer
    • Wrestle Circus
  2. 2. Which American Companies should be in game Continued

• WWN (Evolve, Shine and FIP)
    • WXW-C4
    • WWE
    • ROH
    • Other: Comment Below
  3. 3. Canadian Companies that should be in game

• Impact
    • ECCW
    • Smash
    • Alpha-1
    • Superkick'd
    • PWA
    • CWE
    • LUCHA T.O.
    • IWS
  4. 4. Mexican Promotions

• CMLL
    • AAA
    • Crash
  5. 5. Should Non North-American Companies be in game?

• Yes
    • No
  6. 6. Which British, European and Japanese Companies should be in game

• NJPW
    • AJPW
    • NOAH
    • DDT
    • Progress
    • Rev Pro
    • ICW
    • 5 star
    • wXw
    • Other Comment below

11 minutes ago, Lineker said:

Have NJPW, and if you really hate it that much, then delete the relevant promotions before starting a new game.

You will then have the Japanese workers floating around with inflated overness as free agents, being signed up by North American companies

Is the push to add NJPW solely because there are a few EWB people that regularly keep up with NJPW now? I just don’t personally see how not having NJPW in the game in 2003 is any different than not having it in the game in 2018? It’s always been there. It’s always had its own stars and foreign workers touring there. What makes it less of an accurate reflection? 

1 hour ago, Skummy said:

I haven't played EWR in forever - what are the gameplay mechanics that it would work against including non-North American promotions?

• The Japan touring system
  • That the game only actively recognises USA, Canada and Mexico
  • In-game currency
  • Balancing of overness

Is there anything else that I'm missing? Because while my thoughts are to stick to what the game is built for, we are looking at a game released 15 years ago, that somewhat reflected the wrestling scene at the time, but doesn't reflect the scene today - there will always have to be concessions made, and certain aspects retro-fitted to fit the game mechanics.

So, for me, the question is what stands in the way of including something like NJPW, and is it insurmountable?

On the four points:

1. This is the only one I think needs some proper thinking. If people want New Japan but none of the other Japanese, then it becomes easier as you just put the current NJPW regulars on written deals with them.

2. This seemingly has utterly no effect on anything practicality-wise besides maybe one or two of the search functions? I don't see a problem.

3. I'm not sure why that makes any difference as at least there is one currency for all workers. Mexico doesn't have the same currency IRL as the US anyway.

4. This one is simple, and as I stated earlier on you can just scale the NJPW (or Progress or whoever) guys' overness based on what it would be at if they suddenly showed up in WWE or TNA, or ROH...hell a lot of them do already turn out for Ring of Honor so that's straight forward.

I honestly do not believe there is a good enough reason not to include non-North American feds. "The game doesn't accommodate it" is a weak excuse because it is a text-based simulator and a fairly rudimentary one at that when you compare it to TEW 16. "Just use TEW 05" is not reasonable either because we already have a significant player-base and database for EWR, that's the game people want to play if they're going to play one of the old freeware ones, not TEW which is a poor imitation of its modern iteration when you play it now.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Los IngobernAdam de Japon said:

On the four points:

1. This is the only one I think needs some proper thinking. If people want New Japan but none of the other Japanese, then it becomes easier as you just put the current NJPW regulars on written deals with them.

2. This seemingly has utterly no effect on anything practicality-wise besides maybe one or two of the search functions? I don't see a problem.

3. I'm not sure why that makes any difference as at least there is one currency for all workers. Mexico doesn't have the same currency IRL as the US anyway.

4. This one is simple, and as I stated earlier on you can just scale the NJPW (or Progress or whoever) guys' overness based on what it would be at if they suddenly showed up in WWE or TNA, or ROH...hell a lot of them do already turn out for Ring of Honor so that's straight forward.

I honestly do not believe there is a good enough reason not to include non-North American feds. "The game doesn't accommodate it" is a weak excuse because it is a text-based simulator and a fairly rudimentary one at that when you compare it to TEW 16. "Just use TEW 05" is not reasonable either because we already have a significant player-base and database for EWR, that's the game people want to play if they're going to play one of the old freeware ones, not TEW which is a poor imitation of its modern iteration when you play it now.

Another question; can you even run an NJPW type schedule in EWR?

2 minutes ago, iDOL said:

That is definitely going to be an issue. It would definitely have to be a compromise situation, unless people use that multiple events workaround but I'm not a fan of stuff like that.

4 minutes ago, iDOL said:

Yes, but not without manipulating the data.

At the end of the day, whoever does the work on this should do it the way they want it done and anybody that has a problem with the way they do it can do it a different way themselves. That's really the only answer that's going to appease everybody and, more importantly, the only way anything is actually going to get done.

4 minutes ago, Los IngobernAdam de Japon said:

That is definitely going to be an issue. It would definitely have to be a compromise situation, unless people use that multiple events

if the only way to get NJPW to work as it should is to run the events exploit a bunch of times, it’s really head scratching as to why anyone would want it in a regular stat update.

Maybe add the workers and not the promotion if the NJPW schedule doesn't work in game. If you like all the NJPW guys you can easily set up a USA branch before you start your game and run it as if it were an American promotion on a "normal" schedule.

Another way may be to add NJPW and give them a TV show every day so the amount of shows can be booked when needed and auto booked when not needed. IIRC a promotion can have as many shows as there are days as long as it's done in the editor before hand.

On 1/23/2018 at 06:12, Benji said:

I'd say no women's only promotions nor non-North American promotions since the game is not designed to simulate them properly. The core three are obvious - WWE, Impact and Ring of Honor. Then judging by following on EWB - Lucha Underground and Chikara.

I voted WWE, Impact, ROH, CHIKARA, House of Hardcore, WWN, PWG, Beyond, CZW, AAA, CMLL and CRASH. I will say that AAA, CMLL and CRASH are nuts considering lucha is fairly hard to follow. This is to give some balance.

On 1/23/2018 at 06:31, Skummy said:

I'd actually lean somewhat towards removing Lucha Underground, purely because structurally it's very difficult to replicate in EWR - the game's not designed to deal with anything like their taping schedule, or the fact that they go without shows for months at a time, before you even get into contractual issues. That said, a lot of people still probably want to play as them, so I'd leave it.

It's also worth bearing in mind that it's not just about which promotions people want to play as, but having promotions in place to create a functioning, and accurate, game world. So I would aim to have a decent spread of companies of varying sizes, with that goal in mind.

Companies actually wouldn't be my first port of call for removing data anyway, as the game already has (IIRC) a preset limit for how many promotions can exist at any one time, so it's not an area that could be prone to becoming bloated in the way that workers, tag teams, relationships, etc., can do. And also, when you have fewer than the maximum number of companies, you're more likely to have random companies generated by the game starting up, or the Pinky & The Brain promotions, which obviously skew the game away from realism, and also take a lot of control out of the hands of the person creating the update. That's just my feelings on the matter, anyhow.

Lucha Underground is hard only because many think you need to run it as a current company, not where it is. Also a big issue I notice are the limitations of the game. compared to even earlier TEW, many wrestlers are in other promotions under other names, even to the point of filling up the commitments prior to adding them to Lucha. When Lucha is ready to relaunch, it will be re-added to my game data and as I stated in my thread, it will be based on in "TV real time" similar to IMPACT.

The same for TV can be said of Impact (even when they were TNA on FSN), NXT (if it were ever added as a playable brrand) and even ROH tv.

On 1/24/2018 at 06:59, Los IngobernAdam de Japon said:

Agree with this fully. The Japanese touring mechanic aside, there's no game-breaking reason not to be able to play as the likes of New Japan and Progress, ICW etc.

I think I might include them for the March and April updates for the USA show in my update but I'm not sure how it will work whether I include just those on the US shows or what.

Also I would be open to adding Progress if the promotion ran more in America.

Edited by mkpunk

I created a playable NJPW mod for EWR a few months back. Out of all the scenarios, it was one of the least downloaded. (11th out of 16 scenarios)
This could obviously be down to my thread just being filled with random tidbits with all links in the opening post (it's top of the list) but it might be something to look at in regards to many people actually want to play them as a promotion in game. Currently the download count is at 50. Obviously this won't be 50 different people (I'm guessing) but it's something.