United Football League

Lineker

Three things:

1) Last year, I bought an entire set of XFL lapel pins (all of the teams plus an XFL logo one) from some dude in Germany off of eBay. I feel like this made them a lot less cool (Were they ever cool? Not the debate here).

2) SIGN GOD DAMN JARED LORENZEN

3) Real talk: This needs to be an arena football league. Why? Arena football is a much faster game than normal football, and it's different enough where you can't compare it directly to the NFL. Arena football has been kind of floundering around in obscurity for a while (more on that later) but I think enough people will tune into the first game out of interest that a casual fan who has never seen it before, might find it interesting enough to stick around.

The top league of arena football, the AFL, is really struggling. They're going to be down to four teams next season. The XFL will never top the NFL, but Vince could realistically own the top arena football league in America. Fuck it, Vince should just buy the AFL if he wants to own a football league so bad. 

I just really like arena football and want to see it become more popular. :shifty:

Edited by Yitzy

Arena Football sucks. Some people have argued that it lets players not good enough to get into the NFL or CFL play. And that's the problem: If you can't get into either league, you probably suck.

I'll give you an example: Andy Kelly. He quarterbacked the Vols in college, and had 2 more interceptions than TDs. And had one glaring weakness: He was a deer caught in headlights whenever someone was coming after him. He'll probably end up being an AFL Hall of Famer, if he isn't already.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GhostMachine said:

Arena Football sucks. Some people have argued that it lets players not good enough to get into the NFL or CFL play. And that's the problem: If you can't get into either league, you probably suck.

I'll give you an example: Andy Kelly. He quarterbacked the Vols in college, and had 2 more interceptions than TDs. And had one glaring weakness: He was a deer caught in headlights whenever someone was coming after him. He'll probably end up being an AFL Hall of Famer, if he isn't already.

2017 NFL Hall of Famer Kurt Warner disagrees with this.  Went undrafted, was cut by the Packers, then played in the AFL for 2 seasons.  Was re-signed into the NFL by the Rams and lead them on to win the Superbowl.  

• Like 1

Yitzy is on the right track with the Arena thought but I think it should be 7 on 7. It's visually different enough from the NFL, which I think is important for the league to last, and it would result in a relatively safer product.

The world is ready.

15 hours ago, MDK said:

So I'm assuming no chair shots to the head?

Only Tommy Maddox is allowed to use the Tombstone.

14 hours ago, livid said:

Yitzy is on the right track with the Arena thought but I think it should be 7 on 7. It's visually different enough from the NFL, which I think is important for the league to last, and it would result in a relatively safer product.

The world is ready.

I said that back in my first comment. Speed the game up, spread it out, and ratchet up the scores. Arena League style and speed on real grass.

• 1 month later...

Before Vince McMahon's XFL officially kicks off in 2020, they already have a rival that isn't the NFL. And, in a twist, a driving force behind it is someone McMahon knows fairly well.

On Tuesday, news broke that Charlie Ebersol -- producer of the XFL ESPN 30-for-30 and son of longtime NBC Sports executive Dick -- will be heading up another new pro football league, already armed with a TV deal and set to kickoff in 2019.

The Alliance of American Football has several major backers including the majority owners of Barstool Sports and the Founders Fund which includes Peter Theil, the man who secretly funded Hulk Hogan's succesful lawsuit against Gawker Media. The season will begin in February 2019 and will conclude in April with games on both CBS and CBS Sports Network.

Dick will be be on the league's board. He was a major part of the XFL's lone season and historically was a champion for then-WWF programming on the Peacock Network. There was no indication he would be involved with the new XFL, but given McMahon's history with him, that was a likely association in some aspect.

Because of the nature of the league, it will be a direct competitor to McMahon's XFL which was officially announced in January for a 2020 return. How this will affect the player pool, potential sponsors, and more will be an interesting story to see play out over the next two years.

TiredDigitalGnat-max-1mb.gif

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Well, that's XFL fucked then. If it succeeds, why is there a need for a third league? If it fails, it shows there is no need for a second league.

• Like 4