2018 NFL Off-Season Thread

Lineker

So, if McDaniels stayed in NE because Kraft gave him assurances that he is the heir apparent once Bill leaves, doesn't that violate the Rooney Rule?? 

I don't agree with the Rooney Rule, I understand and appreciate the intent of the rule, but I just don' agree with it. But, rules are rules, and this just screams to me that Kraft will be trying to skirt another rule the NFL has in place.

The Rooney Rule shouldn't apply when there's an heir apparent situation. Because it would be a waste of everyone's time just to interview someone for a job all sides know the interviewee isn't going to get. 

But the rule gets skipped over or ignored way too much.

Maybe. But realistically how many head coaches last long enough for there to even be a head coach-in-waiting named? If you're Cleveland and you have a new head coach every three years, it'd be cheating the system, but if you're New England or a Pittsburgh who have long-tenured head coaches, I don't think it's too much of an issue for the tenured coach to name a successor. 

17 minutes ago, Meacon said:

Maybe. But realistically how many head coaches last long enough for there to even be a head coach-in-waiting named? If you're Cleveland and you have a new head coach every three years, it'd be cheating the system, but if you're New England or a Pittsburgh who have long-tenured head coaches, I don't think it's too much of an issue for the tenured coach to name a successor. 

Yeah I get that, I just don't trust NFL teams not to abuse potential loopholes. 

• Like 1

Successor must be able to snatch the pebble from his hand, successfully answer the riddle "What is the sound of one hand clapping?", and be able to rub their stomach while patting their head for a full minute while standing on one foot and balancing a glass of beer on their other foot.

Edited by GhostMachine

Apparently the Rooney Rule also applies to promoting interim head coaches to full-time head coach.  Had Chuck Pagano opted not to return to the Colts from medical leave, Bruce Arians who went 9-3 and won Coach of the Year as an interim wouldn't have been able to get promoted to regular head coach without interviewing a minority candidate first.

I like there being a rule in place but it needs some fleshing out.  Teams shouldn't be punished for having a plan in place, and while the interviews can potentially help minority candidates with networking, it almost certainly becomes grating for candidates after a while.  Perry Fewell was outspoken of that I believe, he got like four interviews in one year and nobody came close to hiring him - teams just talked to him because he was a Super Bowl winning defensive coordinator and the most "sensible" choice to fulfill the requirement.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lineker said:

Jimmy G has agreed to a five year contract with the 49ers. The $137.5m deal makes him the highest paid player in league history on an average-per-year basis.

I'm glad we got him resigned, but holy shit. Was not expecting that big of a deal. Hopefully he lives up to it.

I put zero into these early mock drafts, but if we manage to get Cousins and draft Fitzpatrick at #5, I'd be a happy butterfly. I'd also accept Bradley Chubb or Quentin Nelson. 

Or Roquan Smith!

This guy has Sony Michel going one pick before the Bears, @The Chiksrara Special. Shame. 

• Sad 1