2018 NFL Off-Season Thread

Lineker

Joe Tessitore will be Witten's broadcast partner on Monday Night Football.  Good hire, kind of wish he was paired with Romo,  that would be a lot of fun.

7 hours ago, Buschoru Suzuki said:

The Colts expect Andrew Luck to be ready for training camp despite the fact that he has not thrown a pass in the nearly 500 days since he had his surgery.

I swear that sounds almost word-for-word what they said last year. 

9 hours ago, GhostMachine said:

Those poor bastards.

Say what you want but I think the Browns are going to have the most positive win turnaround this year. Granted starting from 0 makes that easy, but with Taylor under center (or Mayfield... maybe) they'll be a 6 or 7 win team. Bengals probably finish last in the North this year.

51 minutes ago, damsher hatfield said:

Say what you want but I think the Browns are going to have the most positive win turnaround this year. Granted starting from 0 makes that easy, but with Taylor under center (or Mayfield... maybe) they'll be a 6 or 7 win team. Bengals probably finish last in the North this year.

I keep reading people predicting this. Hugh Jackson is 1-31 in two seasons so until he can prove he can coach a team to two or three wins, I’ll never predict him winning 6 or 7.

1 hour ago, Meacon said:

I keep reading people predicting this. Hugh Jackson is 1-31 in two seasons so until he can prove he can coach a team to two or three wins, I’ll never predict him winning 6 or 7.

Hey, he went 8-8 with the Raiders! :P

But holding the Browns record against him supposes that they were trying to win which I'm not entirely sure is the case. 

3 hours ago, livid said:

Hey, he went 8-8 with the Raiders! :P

But holding the Browns record against him supposes that they were trying to win which I'm not entirely sure is the case. 

Yeah. A year after they went 8-8 with Tom Cable as head coach. 😛 

As for them not trying, that may be try e but until I see anything even remotely positive from an old field perspective from this team, I’m pulling back the reigns on six or seven win expectations. And especially the possibility of them all of a sudden being a wildcard team that ESPN (what a joke) floated out there. 

Let’s see them win a game. Maybe two. Allow them to show us they have the slightest clue of how to assemble a talented team and know how to properly use that talent.

Then maybe I can let the hogs fly wild.

8 hours ago, Meacon said:

I'm pretty sure Jackson is still the coach because ownership doesn't give a damn if the team sucks, as long as they're profitable and they can hoodwink the fans by appearing to try and improve the team.

Anyone who is drafted by or traded to the Browns should be given a medical marijuana card, because having to play for them should be a valid condition. Willingly playing for the team (ie, signing a contract or not blocking a trade to them), however, should result in a psychiatric examination.

All kidding aside, though, if the ownership actually is trying to make the team better, they're doing a piss poor job by retaining Hue Jackson, who has no business being a head coach. Even if they do somehow manage to win a game or two, Jackson should be gone after next season, if not during it. 

Edited by GhostMachine

I think it is worth noting that the Browns are in the mess they are in part because they would fire coaches 1-2 years into their contract. Continually doing so is not a good way of turning your franchise around. Hue Jackson may not be the guy but they are flying counter to what they've done in the past and there has to be a certain amount of credit given there, especially since it would have been easier to fire him. Give him the chance to coach the roster you've been building the past 3 years. If he doesn't improve this year then yes it's clear he's not the coach you need. 

I can understand why the Browns dumped Eric Mangini after two years.  He had just come off of overseeing the Jets chokejob where they started 8-3 and still missed the playoffs - so his dismissal after two straight 5-11 seasons for the Browns wasn't too big of a surprise.

But I have no idea what they've been doing since then.  It was unrealistic to expect Pat Shurmur to be able to turn everything around in two years.  Rob Chuzinski's season probably should've been Shurmur's third season.  And even if they did dump him when they did - Chudzinski had no business being fired after one year and should have gotten what wound up being Mike Pettine's two seasons.

That the guy they finally gave a third year to has won three fewer games in two seasons than Chudzinski won in one season is just mind-blowing to me.

I just find it hard to believe the Browns would be putting themselves in a better spot by hiring a 6th coach in 10 years. And I highly doubt that fact would attract many high caliber candidates for the position either.

Hell, Kyle Shanahan only went to San Francisco because Jed York gave him and Lynch both six year deals to give them some level of security because the 49ers had fired coaches in back to back years. That type of turnover does not attract premium candidates. 

On 16/05/2018 at 14:58, livid said:

I just find it hard to believe the Browns would be putting themselves in a better spot by hiring a 6th coach in 10 years. And I highly doubt that fact would attract many high caliber candidates for the position either.

Hell, Kyle Shanahan only went to San Francisco because Jed York gave him and Lynch both six year deals to give them some level of security because the 49ers had fired coaches in back to back years. That type of turnover does not attract premium candidates. 

You do it when the coach isn't working.  A 1-31 record over two seasons means it isn't working.  Its completely stupid to not fire a guy because you made mistakes firing another guy too early in the past.  You've already been churning through coaches, what sense does it make to hold on to the absolute worst one you've found?

• Like 1