Highlights and lowlights of following your team

Matt

Without going into really distant history, my favourite memory as an Arsenal fan was the 1st of the the 3 recent FA Cup wins. It was such a long time since we'd won a trophy, and to go 2 nil down that early it felt like another typical day for us. Seeing Ramsey score the winner in extra time was fuckin nice. Downsides are every other bloody week.

Celtic have been winning the league for years so there's no really been many big downsides. In my own personal history the worst was watching Mourinhos Porto cheat Celtic out of the 03 UEFA Cup final.

• Like 1

For the past 25 years of going to Reading games, I've been fortunate to experience the club grow massively. From 6/7,000 a game at Elm Park to 24,000 in the prem at a new ground. 

In that 25 years, I've witnessed 4 promotions (3 of them as champions, including a record breaking points total for the championship) 6 failed play off campaigns out of 6 attempts ,( the first one we had finished 2nd, but only 2 teams went up to the premier league as they were reducing the amount of clubs from 22 to 20) twice finished 7th on last game of season missing out on play offs, a season that we were in the relegation zone at Christmas and finished 8th, 3 relegations, an FA Cup Semi Final, 2 FA Cup Quarter Finals, and 4 owners. 

Random matches include losing 7-5 to Arsenal in the Leauge Cup after being 4-1 up at half time, losing 7-4 to Portsmouth and setting the highest scoring game in premier league history, and a 6-4 defeat to spurs. 

Mostly really been 7 or 8 forgettable seasons, so there's always been something going on for the most part, especially since all the history before that consisted of a sole Simod Cup win and 3/4th tier obscurity for 100 years.

Bad omen is in 1988, 1998 and 2008 we have been relegated, and this season could end up that way too

Edited by Matticus

General Highlights:
Champions League 05 - One of the best nights of my life. 
FA Cup 06 (Get fucked West Ham) 
Treble winning season in 2000/2001
Beating Real Madrid 4-1 and Man Utd 4-1 in the same week 
Watching Suarez, Torres, Mascherano, Alonso, Gerrard all play for Liverpool 
Our current team- I feel like there's something special happening with this team atm with Klopp in charge, the squad that is beginning to be shaped and some of the football we can play is brilliant to watch. I honestly do think as a neutral we are one of the most entertaining teams to watch in terms. I think with the right additions in midfield and defensively we can go far in any competition. 

General Lowlights:
Hicks and Gillett owning the club and nearly destorying it in the process with us being on the verge of administration
Roy Hodgson's reign as Liverpool manager and having to endure Paul Konchesky and Christian Poulsen - Liverpool Players was pretty depressing. 
Losing to AC Milan in the 2007 Champions League final and Sevilla in the Europa League final in 2016
The end to the 13/14 season. 
United overtaking our league wins. 

Specific moments:
Attending the Dortmund game in the Europa League run when we won 4-3 at Anfield. It was such an amazing game to be at in terms of the atmosphere and the drama. The match had all the emotions in it from Dortmund taking an early lead and scoring again, to us making a comeback and getting hope before they made it 3-1 then the final half of the game was just absolutely mental. Best game I've ever been to. 

Gerrard's final home game was a sad occasion. People have players they grow up with and to have seen him making his debut when I was a kid to seeing him do it all bar win the Prem for us, he was a one of a kind player and such a talent...to see his final home game end the way it did with us being turned over by Palace was such a shite way for his career to end at Liverpool. 

The two trips I made to Wembley in the FA Cup run of 11/12 were a mix of high and low. The highs of going to Wembley and seeing us comeback against Everton and beat them 2-1 was amazing but then going to the final, having to endure the shittest prematch build ever with a Hard-Fi concert on the pitch then watching us get beat 2-1, despite the result the occasion made it for me as my first cup final I've been to. 

Highlights would be: Promotion away at Oxford was a special day. Beating Fulham in the cup, but not scraping a flukey win, actually outplaying them. Getting my away shirt signed by my favourite player. 1-1 with Arsenal was fun.

Lowlights are many: The last three years beginning with our loss at New Wembley and ending with dropping out of the league, pretty much. Losing at Classic Wembley and The Millennium Stadium. 

The rest of the time spent ambling around the bottom two tiers. Ho hum.

2 hours ago, MDK said:

Highlights would be: Promotion away at Oxford was a special day. Beating Fulham in the cup, but not scraping a flukey win, actually outplaying them. Getting my away shirt signed by my favourite player. 1-1 with Arsenal was fun.

Lowlights are many: The last three years beginning with our loss at New Wembley and ending with dropping out of the league, pretty much. Losing at Classic Wembley and The Millennium Stadium. 

The rest of the time spent ambling around the bottom two tiers. Ho hum.

Who was your favourite player?

2 minutes ago, Los IngobernAdam de Japon said:

Who was your favourite player?

At the time of the shirt signing it was Wim Walchaerts, Belgian defensive mid. But that was because Super Kev was probably still at Charlton.