Sign in to follow this  
K

The Netflix (UK) Thread. (MST3K is disappearing)

K    8,761

I've been meaning to start a thread like this for a while, a thread where we can recommend new releases, or warn people that good movies are about to disappear (Groundhog Day left yesterday :(), but I never got around to it.

Today though, seems to be a good enough day to start, as 100 things hit all in one go. Most of it is Bollywood stuff, but there are a few big - if not particularly recent - movies just come on. Calvary, Downfall, Milk, uhh... Big Momma's House 3...

Anyway, the most interesting thing to arrive today is a Han's Zimmerman concert, Live in Prague, which I'm looking forward to watching later. You can see the setlist here.

But the big things I would like to mention, is that Mystery Science Theatre 3000 (1999) is going to disappear in two weeks, so if you've been putting off watching it, it's time to binge through it. It's a great show.

Also March is the time that BBC stuff gets renewed. Sometimes it comes back, sometimes it doesn't.

Blue Planet, Frozen Planet, Doctor Who, Extras, Fawlty Towers, House of Cards (original), Louix Theroux, the Office, the Thick of It, Yes (Prime) Minister, and a bunch more. Check out the full list at the bottom here:

https://uk.newonnetflix.info/lastchance

So yeah, use this thread to recommend Netflix stuff, new releases and perhaps most importantly, warn people when stuff is about to disappear so they can watch it. Obviously anything significant enough to warrant its own thread should definitely be spun off, but hopefully this is useful.

• Like 3

Adam es Tranquilo    6,781

Nothing to add right now other than that this is a great idea for a thread, hope it stays active.

GoGo Yubari    28,539

On MST3K, I think I read somewhere that they're intending on putting a new batch of classic episodes in to replace the current batch.

Bobfoc    4,154

Oh, the BBC House of Cards trilogy expires at the end of the month. Now's the time to watch the superior version of the series.

Colly    13,785

I randomly looked at the release schedule for the first time ever and March 31st is the greatest day in Netflix movie history. Adding Step Brothers, Labyrinth and Paul Blart: Mall Cop 2.

This vaguely ties into one of our house in jokes which is that there never was a a Paul Blart: Mall Cop, they just made number 2 and hoped people wouldn't notice. 

Lineker    33,996

Will be interesting to see what happens now with this big Sky/Netflix tie up. 

DFF    991

Somewhat related, if you'd like a different way to search through the Netflix catalogue (or Amazon Prime, or more), try out https://www.justwatch.com/uk. It lets you filter by streaming service (including by country IIRC). It's more built towards searching for something specific and telling you which formats it is available on. 

EDIT:

If you remove the /uk from the end of the URL it should take you to a page where you can select your home region and it tailors the results to that area. 

Benji    43,320
35 minutes ago, Lineker said:

Will be interesting to see what happens now with this big Sky/Netflix tie up. 

What's this?

Skummy    35,830

On MST3K, Shout Factory now have a channel on Amazon Prime that includes a bunch of classic episodes - I wonder if that might have something to do with it?

DFF    991
43 minutes ago, Benji said:

What's this?

Sky and Netflix are partnering up - expect to see a Netflix portal / app or something similar added to Sky's menu system etc. 

Colly    13,785

Hope that doesn't mean it'll disappear from Virgin Media's. Can still watch it on my PlayStation but that's faffier. 

Also hope that might mean Sky Atlantic stuff on Netflix but I doubt it. 

DFF    991
17 minutes ago, Colly said:

Hope that doesn't mean it'll disappear from Virgin Media's. Can still watch it on my PlayStation but that's faffier. 

Also hope that might mean Sky Atlantic stuff on Netflix but I doubt it. 

I can't understand why people would use the Sky / Virgin one over one on a Playstation or Xbox personally. The app seems painfully slow when through the virgin menus, whereas it is spot on via games consoles. 

Colly    13,785

I've got a newer Virgin box, wonder if that makes a difference? Bar an occasional crash it's very smooth. And iPlayer etc while I had Sky was great, you couldn't even see the difference between that and your recordings. 

Lineker    33,996
1 hour ago, DFF said:

Sky and Netflix are partnering up - expect to see a Netflix portal / app or something similar added to Sky's menu system etc. 

Only Sky Q for now, apparently.

HarshMillennium    2,212

I'm still pissed off with Netflix after they took off Justified when I was half way through the series. Monsters.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, HarshMillennium said:

I'm still pissed off with Netflix after they took off Justified when I was half way through the series. Monsters.

I was only in Season 2 when they did that, so promptly went out and bought the boxset!

However, I never got round to seeing the series after that as my boxset at the time only went up to season 4 I think.

• Like 1

K    8,761

Derren Brown's "Pushed To The Edge" special (renamed The Push) has just appeared on Netflix, it's one of my favourites of his. I don't understand how it's a Netflix original though considering  I definitely saw it on Channel 4 a year or two ago, and all the reviews and stuff seem to be acting like it's new but I'm sure it's the same one.

Anyway, it's well worth a watch if you like that kind of thing. Very interesting and watchable.

K    8,761
5 minutes ago, Adam es Tranquilo said:

Derren Brown's "Pushed To The Edge" special (renamed The Push) has just appeared on Netflix, it's one of my favourites of his. I don't understand how it's a Netflix original though considering  I definitely saw it on Channel 4 a year or two ago, and all the reviews and stuff seem to be acting like it's new but I'm sure it's the same one.

Anyway, it's well worth a watch if you like that kind of thing. Very interesting and watchable.

Oh I didn't realise it wasn't a new one. I've probably already seen it. Just checked it out and Derren Brown has confirmed it is the same edit, with a few links updated to reflect that it's now being seen over the world.

• Like 1

K    8,761

Skummy    35,830

I have no idea if I like the Joel McHale show or not. I like Joel McHale, and I like Paul Feig, but I think I've maybe only actually laughed at this show once? It just feels very shallow and disingenuous. It's like Harry Hill's TV Burp if it forgot to be fun.

Jimmy    4,205

For anyone looking to take a punt on something different, I'd recommend Nocturama, which is about a group of teenagers who plan a bomb attack over Paris before taking shelter for a night in a shopping centre.

Spoilered the notes I jotted down for my Letterboxd review incase anyone wants to go into it cold, but there's no spoilers. 

A serviceable opening hour (retrospectively necessary) paves the way for a brilliant second half; a complex piece of drama that deconstructs what we've seen, embellishes its characters and challenges preconceptions. The craft is extraordinary, the film builds this unsettling, claustrophobic atmosphere that really makes the film work. Finds this nearly impossible way of being completely charming (the many genius uses of music / characters interacting with music, the soundtrack becomes essential) and being incredibly cold - which makes the violence so much more shocking and devastating, like violence being treated as the horror it is, accentuated by the film's ability to remind the viewer how young the main characters are. So much to admire & a niggling feeling this is a film that'll stay with me and I'll re-visit and think about a lot.

image.png

Benji    43,320
On 05/03/2018 at 09:11, Skummy said:

I have no idea if I like the Joel McHale show or not. I like Joel McHale, and I like Paul Feig, but I think I've maybe only actually laughed at this show once? It just feels very shallow and disingenuous. It's like Harry Hill's TV Burp if it forgot to be fun.

I really liked the Netflix tour, and I think it got better as it went along, but the first half of episode one was pretty awkward. I watched the second episode yesterday and it made me laugh more than the first did. It's got a 13 episode run so I'm going to give it the shot and gauge if I want to continue if it gets picked up.

Skummy    35,830

I'm going to keep watching it because it's just mindless, really. It's not a bad little show to stick on while I'm making dinner, if nothing else.

• Like 1

Benji    43,320

Yeah, that's exactly what I used it for.