The Netflix (UK) Thread

K

Netflix, Amazon and other online streaming services will have to dedicate 30% of their output to TV shows and films made in Europe, which they must subsidise, under the terms of an EU law agreed yesterday in Brussels. As well as the "Netflix quota" the streaming services will have to fund European TV series and films, either by directly commissioning the content or contributing to national film funds, under the terms of an outline deal on EU broadcasting rules reached by legislators.

MEPs and the council of ministers, who are responsible for agreeing the law, struck a deal on a final version of the EU's audio-visual services directive - a breakthrough in the legislative process.

The law falls into a longstanding tradition of EU lawmakers protecting European film and drama against the encroachments of Hollywood and American TV and web shows.

Industry groups have criticised cultural quotas as "outdated" and "counterproductive" but lost the argument to European politicians who see them as vital to protect local languages and culture.

The European commission's original proposal was for a 20% "Netflix quota" but MEPs said that was not enough.

The level of contribution in each country will be proportional to the on-demand revenues in that country. Netflix already funds European series such as La Casa de Papel in Spain, Suburra in Italy and Black Mirror in the UK. The European parliament says the law means companies such as Netflix will face the same rules as traditional TV channels, not only on European content but also limits to advertising and product placement.

• Like 1

A Bit Of Fry And Laurie and Victoria Wood: As Seen On TV being on Netflix now has pretty much killed any chance of me ever watching anything else again.

On 27/04/2018 at 11:46, Benji said:

I'm all for it. People underestimate how much of a cultural influence and soft propaganda entertainment provides, protecting European interests in that respect is a sensible move.

i think Netflix needs a good 'Netflix Original' Panel Show.

It's got a bit of QI and Mock the Week up there, but they have a good relationship with comedians and they obviously like putting out cheaper studio pieces like 'Nailed It'. I think they could do a panel show well.

Anyway a bunch of top gear went up today, I'm not sure how much is new cause they always had a little bit, but you can watch all the specials now, as well as seasons 15-24

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if there's anything good in the 'TV > Reality Shows' subsection on Netflix?

Living quite far apart, me and the missus occasionally have 'distance dates' where we watch the same tv show at the same time while we're on the phone. We think regular scripted shows don't really work for this as you have to pay attention to what's happening, but 'reality' shows don't really require any thinking so we can chat at the same time.

We've seen Fool Us, which we loved, and we tried the new 'Nailed It' thing, but that show is terrible. We watched episode one of Sing It On yesterday, because I like Pitch Perfect, but I don't think she's really interested, and it's only six episodes so it won't last long anyway.

I know Bake Off is on there, but I'm not sure we fancy that.

Any suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...

Disenchantment is an upcoming adult animated sitcom created by Matt Groening.[1] Twenty episodes of the series have been ordered by Netflix[2] with the first ten episodes scheduled to be released in 2018.

The series follows the story of Bean, an alcoholic princess, her elf companion Elfo, and her "personal demon" Luci, who live in a medieval kingdom known as Beanlandia.[4]

• Like 1

Netflix has overtaken Disney to become America's most valuable media company.
In a symbolic moment, the Silicon Valley firm overtook its Hollywood rival as investors continued to buy its stock.
It comes as a major showdown between the two looms. Disney is to launch its own streaming service and its proposed tie-up with 21st Century Fox has been presented as a deal that would give it the firepower it needs to take on the technology companies.
Last night the entertainment giant was worth about £113bn, with Netflix worth £114bn.

• 4 weeks later...