The Netflix (UK) Thread

K

I have no idea if I like the Joel McHale show or not. I like Joel McHale, and I like Paul Feig, but I think I've maybe only actually laughed at this show once? It just feels very shallow and disingenuous. It's like Harry Hill's TV Burp if it forgot to be fun.

For anyone looking to take a punt on something different, I'd recommend Nocturama, which is about a group of teenagers who plan a bomb attack over Paris before taking shelter for a night in a shopping centre.

Spoilered the notes I jotted down for my Letterboxd review incase anyone wants to go into it cold, but there's no spoilers. 

A serviceable opening hour (retrospectively necessary) paves the way for a brilliant second half; a complex piece of drama that deconstructs what we've seen, embellishes its characters and challenges preconceptions. The craft is extraordinary, the film builds this unsettling, claustrophobic atmosphere that really makes the film work. Finds this nearly impossible way of being completely charming (the many genius uses of music / characters interacting with music, the soundtrack becomes essential) and being incredibly cold - which makes the violence so much more shocking and devastating, like violence being treated as the horror it is, accentuated by the film's ability to remind the viewer how young the main characters are. So much to admire & a niggling feeling this is a film that'll stay with me and I'll re-visit and think about a lot.

image.png

On 05/03/2018 at 09:11, Skummy said:

I have no idea if I like the Joel McHale show or not. I like Joel McHale, and I like Paul Feig, but I think I've maybe only actually laughed at this show once? It just feels very shallow and disingenuous. It's like Harry Hill's TV Burp if it forgot to be fun.

I really liked the Netflix tour, and I think it got better as it went along, but the first half of episode one was pretty awkward. I watched the second episode yesterday and it made me laugh more than the first did. It's got a 13 episode run so I'm going to give it the shot and gauge if I want to continue if it gets picked up.

I'm going to keep watching it because it's just mindless, really. It's not a bad little show to stick on while I'm making dinner, if nothing else.

• Like 1

On 3/2/2018 at 00:57, K said:

https://uk.newonnetflix.info/lastchance

So yeah, use this thread to recommend Netflix stuff, new releases and perhaps most importantly, warn people when stuff is about to disappear so they can watch it. Obviously anything significant enough to warrant its own thread should definitely be spun off, but hopefully this is useful.

https://www.netflix.com/watch/60022965?trackId=13752289&tctx=0%2C0%2Cc9f8be9fbbd0defe264af0db5f895f23351a1dec%3A8afb631fce8873aab99e6b7213543a62939ec52f

Cinema Paradiso goes in a few days and is perhaps my favourite film of all time. People should watch it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Liam said:

I've read the book. Didn't realise it was a Netflix film, or am I getting the wrong end of this stick? 

It's based on the first book in the series, but the director admitted that he didn't reread it before he made the flick so it's not completely faithful. The director also admitted that this is a standalone movie and that he has no idea what happened in the other two books so it's a self contained story.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, K said:

It's based on the first book in the series, but the director admitted that he didn't reread it before he made the flick so it's not completely faithful. The director also admitted that this is a standalone movie and that he has no idea what happened in the other two books so it's a self contained story.

I thought it was out at cinemas for some reason. 

2 minutes ago, Liam said:

I thought it was out at cinemas for some reason. 

Oh sorry, I misread your post.

It has cinema release in the US and Canada, Netflix everywhere else. They thought it was too weird for a wide release. It's a shame because it's beautiful, but also I probably wouldn't have gone to the cinema to see it so I kind of see their point

32 minutes ago, K said:

I’ve heard the movie criticized because of this. Not so much that it’s not faithful to the series, but more that the casting ignores the diversity of the characters later revealed in the other books. Mind, I’ve not read them, but it stuck out as an interesting point.

39 minutes ago, El Hijosh del Ice Cream said:

I’ve heard the movie criticized because of this. Not so much that it’s not faithful to the series, but more that the casting ignores the diversity of the characters later revealed in the other books. Mind, I’ve not read them, but it stuck out as an interesting point.

It's about a group of women of various backgrounds kicking ass, like... I can't really fault the guy for not getting them exactly right when their ethnicities weren't even mentioned in the book he's making a movie of.

Two of the five women are non white, the two men that have any lines are non white... I think it's a little unnecessary to call the movie out for it.

Edit: three men

• Like 1

I don't mind the criticism at the end of the day, but also don't think it's a The Great Wall type of deal. Also Gina Rodriguez's character was created specifically for the movie, which I think should count for something?

• Like 1