Sign in to follow this  
K

The Netflix (UK) Thread

The bit where the dinosaur says "Alan!" is one of my favourite moments in film.

• Like 2

For bonus hilarity isn't that the first time we see the new look velociraptors with the feathers on the top of their head? Don't get me wrong the others have silly moments (the gymnastics routine for example) but straight away taking a creature you've built up over the last two films and giving it a hilarious WTF moment like that can't have helped.

John Wick 3 and Fighting With My Family both on Netflix

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Colly said:

Will that be UK too?

The article I saw via FB said it was global EXCEPT for the US, Canada and Japan.

Release schedule:

• February 1, 2020: Castle in the Sky (1986), My Neighbor Totoro (1988), Kiki’s Delivery Service (1989), Only Yesterday (1991), Porco Rosso (1992), Ocean Waves (1993), Tales from Earthsea (2006)
  • March 1, 2020: Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind (1984), Princess Mononoke (1997), My Neighbors the Yamadas (1999), Spirited Away (2001), The Cat Returns (2002), Arrietty (2010), The Tale of The Princess Kaguya (2013)
  • April 1, 2020: Pom Poko (1994), Whisper of the Heart (1995), Howl’s Moving Castle (2004), Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea (2008), From Up on Poppy Hill (2011), The Wind Rises (2013), When Marnie Was There (2014)

This is as good an excuse as any to finally get around to watching Princess Kaguya.

By which I mean I will rewatch Porco Rosso roughly twelve more times.

• Like 1

no Grave of the Fireflies for some reason.

6 minutes ago, Skummy said:

no Grave of the Fireflies for some reason.

Good spot; I hadn't noticed that.

I can only imagine 5-year-olds stumbling across that one on Netflix and thinking they're in for a fun adventure like the others.

it seems to be a rights issue - publishing rights belong to the publisher of the original short story. I already own it on DVD, so no great loss personally, but a shame it's not the full set. 

never mind all that nonsense;

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've watched Ponyo, Spirited Away and Porco Rosso, so will happily check out as many of the others as possible. (have also seen Grave of the Fireflies).

1 minute ago, Liam said:

I've watched Ponyo, Spirited Away and Porco Rosso, so will happily check out as many of the others as possible. (have also seen Grave of the Fireflies).

Watch the ones I said they’re the best films.

Infact watch most of them. Watch all of them. Watch nothing but them. Become an anime.

6 hours ago, Skummy said:

never mind all that nonsense;

You better believe I watched David Lynch vs a Monkey

• Like 1

Castle in the Sky is another excellent one that no one has yet mentioned.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hobo said:

You better believe I watched David Lynch vs a Monkey

it's fucking preposterous.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Liam said:

And Totoro. Not sure how I forgot that.

19 minutes ago, Skummy said:

it's fucking preposterous.

From the man who brought us another Monica Bellucci dream

The film adaptation of Ni No Kuni has been added to Netflix, for anyone looking for something Ghibli-adjacent before the real stuff drops - based on a game developed with Studio Ghibli, scored by long-time Ghibli musical collaborator Joe Hisaishi, directed by Ghibli animation lifer Yoshiyuki Momose, and written by Akihiro Hino, the writer behind the Ni No Kuni games, as well as Professor Layton and Yo-Kai Watch.

The trailer looks fucking awful, but I'll give it a shot.