Just finished watching Queer Eye on Netflix.

K

Man that's some feel-good TV. Absolutely recommend it.

Five gay guys going around Georgia, and each episode they overhaul the life of someone who needs a push in the right direction. They help a trump-voting cop get closer to his wife, help a Christian guy with six kids and two jobs bring some order to his life, help a gay black guy come out to his mom, help a rural fire station raise money to train new firefighters, and a bunch more.

It's obviously a little 'American reality show' but watching it made me really happy.

Queer Eye, on Netflix. Check it.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

That sounds like a nice programme. I was aware of Queer Eye for the Straight Guy when it was on, but I had no interest because fashion and grooming doesn't entertain me, so I thought this would be like that. I'm now putting it on my radar.

There's absolutely a fashion and grooming element, but it's not about making them 'fashionable'. It's about confidence. They never take the participants out of their comfort zone or anything. As well as fashion and grooming, there's also a guy to help with social stuff, a renovations guy, and a food and drink guy.

The episode with the six kids that I mentioned, all the fashion and grooming takes place in Target. It's not about expensive suits and $200 haircuts, they just show the dad how he can dress like the father he wants to be, without taking time out of his busy day, or money out of the family purse. He just ends up looking like a happy, ordinary father, not some runway model.

Try it. It's not difficult television, and you'll know pretty quick if it's for you. Hope you enjoy it.

Karamo > Jonathan > Tan > Antoni > Bobby.

It's the bomb. Totally choked up a couple times and some of transformations are amazing. The dude with the long hair and massive beard in episode 2 looked rad at the end, and the Christian guy was super handsome when he got all groomed and shit. Ditto the comedian guy, even though his comedy was, uh, yeah, pretty bad.

• Like 1

At first I really liked Antoni until he started giving off a weird American Psycho vibe in the episode with the dude who lived in his dead Grandma's house and then I couldn't shake the thought of him dropping a chainsaw down the stairs or killing Paul Allen with an axe in the face.

The top 3 are kinda interchangeable though, those guys are the bomb.

1 hour ago, Ollie said:

At first I really liked Antoni until he started giving off a weird American Psycho vibe in the episode with the dude who lived in his dead Grandma's house and then I couldn't shake the thought of him dropping a chainsaw down the stairs or killing Paul Allen with an axe in the face.

The top 3 are kinda interchangeable though, those guys are the bomb.

Lol that was the episode where he actually did something good though, that whisky day and the cocktail classes were really good. Usually he's telling people how to make grilled cheese or hot dogs or whatever. Made me laugh everytime he was like, hi I'm the food expert and this week we're making guacamole.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Ollie said:

Hi, I'm the food expert. Just melt some cheese and whack it in a pita bread. Got yourself breakfast, lunch and dinner there. Next week, I'll teach you how to add milk to your coco pops for a delicious chocolatey milky surprise.

Builder guy is coordinating teams and renovating entire houses, pulling down forty year old plaster. Yer man is in the kitchen like, yo lemme show you how to cut a orange.

• Like 2

This is definitely on my watch-list (after I finish ST:Discovery) because I got an equally positive recommendation on FB from someone whose TV tastes I trust. Hell, there seems to be positive talk about it coming from everywhere.

7 minutes ago, Ollie said:

It's ya boi Antoni. Gonna crush some doritos on a hot dog, call it a day.

Did you see how fuckin disappointed he was when he asked that dude if he'd ever seen a avacado before and the guy was like, well yeah, obviously, they're everywhere.

3 minutes ago, K said:

Did you see how fuckin disappointed he was when he asked that dude if he'd ever seen a avacado before and the guy was like, well yeah, obviously, they're everywhere.

Yeah, and then he went on that big spiel about his favourite Huey Lewis and the News album. Weird.

This show actually deeply impacted me in a way that I did not think it would. 

As some of you are aware, I am in the process of adopting three wee ones. I am a gay guy, but I would describe myself as not an obvious feminine person and a lot of that comes down to working in "formal' profession where I wear a suit all day and there are expectations about my behavior. And this probably seems absurd from me, given my posts on here. But I do feel probably that a lot of my life, I am acting restrained. 

So I binge watched this season in 6 days. And watching Jonathan and how comfortable with himself was a revelation. I was just like "oh, right... it is okay to be a bit flamboyant and effeminate! Maybe I need to loosen up a bit". It is nice to have the media tell you "hey, look... you can be be a healthy mix of masculine and feminine and you can be well rounded". 

Also I dislike Antoni. 

• Like 1

On 3/12/2018 at 18:08, K said:

Antoni: "Do you know how to cut an avacado?"
Guy: "Yes."

*Antoni teaches him how to cut an avacado*

My only complaint about the show is how much they touch Neal when he is obviously incredibly uncomfortable with it.

The rest of the show is glorious and amazing. I need Johnny to be my best friend. 

• Haha 1