Buy anything new lately?

VerbalPuke

It's near my birthday which usually means I buy a bunch of albums. So I grabbed a nice round of records the last few days. I like record shopping, it's fun, finding the best prices and selection from sellers that I can bundle shipments together. 

So I got Frank Zappa - Hots Rats, Girls Against Boys - Venus Luxure No. 1 Baby, Sonic Youth - Goo, Jesus Lizard - Lash, The Stranglers - No Mores Heroes, The Damned - Damned, Damned, Damned, Blatz - Cheaper than Beer, David Bowie - Hunky Dory, and Various Artists - Dope, Guns, and Fucking In the Street (a compilation of a lot of noise rock stuff like Unsane, Jesus Lizard, Steel Pole Bath Tub, Helios Creed, Halo of Flies, etc.). 

Anybody get anything new? Go to the store? Buy an MP3? Why did you buy stuff? Anything you covet? 

• Like 1

Yeah, its been on my list awhile. I inevitably push things back because I figure they're not going anywhere and often buy stuff impulsively (for example the Girls Against Boys and the compilation are sorta newer things I've been listening to so I grabbed them). This was actually a good set of purchases because much of it is stuff I'd had my eye on for awhile. Still have a number of albums I have been meaning to purchase and haven't. 

But I figured I'd grab the Damned album because why not. It's great isn't it? I probably neglect them more than I should in my punk travels when they're quite good, equal to stuff like the Clash or Ramones really. 

That's a great haul!

I recently picked up the new Yamantaka // Sonic Titan album - no idea if they're on anyone's radar, really, but I saw them live just before they released their first album and they absolutely blew me away. New album feels a little bit less experimental - for better in some ways, though perhaps not in other's - but still absolutely amazing.

• Like 1

The problem is, my turntable and speakers are not hooked up because I am in the process of gutting my basement so by the time my basement is finished I'll have a ton of albums to listen to. Not a bad problem necessarily but kind of sucks I can't test this stuff out. 

Part of the reason I quit smoking was to buy more music. Well, it was health reasons more than anything but I think what made it easier for me was that I said to myself "you can spend half of your weekly cigarette money on records instead of cigarettes". Ya know, you figure 6-7 bucks for a pack a day or so, 49 bucks right there. That's money for two-three good albums, maybe more depending on what I get. 

I'm kind of thinking I might start grabbing some 7 inch EPs and VA compilations just for variety. I seem to buy in waves, like right now my kick is post-hardcore/noise-rock type of stuff. Sometimes I might get into a surf mood, or a old hard rock mood (thinking Hendrix, Sabbath type stuff), or of course punk. The one thing I like about old hard rock stuff is that you can get old copies pretty cheap, so I like to find one good album, maybe Alice Cooper for example, then see what else the dude might have. I've been able to score some old Moody Blues for 2-5 bucks a pop, or Paul Revere and the Raiders for a similar price. Trying to slowly do the same with Alice Cooper, The Doors, ZZ Top, and maybe other stuff that strikes me fancy. 

In the last month or so I've got:

Judas Priest - Firepower

Blaze Bayley - The Redemption of William Black

Mystic Prophecy - Monuments Uncovered

Saxon - Thunderbolt

Limb Music Compilation - Louder than the Dragon 2CD

Running Wild - Death or Glory (the new 2017 print with a bonus disc)

Oops, just got carried away. 

I grabbed Husker Du - Zen Arcade because I finally found a nice copy that wasn't a crazy price. Also snagged Major Accident - Massacred Melodies, Puke - Back to the Stoneage (I've been tracking this vinyl down for literally 12 years now), two 7 inches by the Offs, and a compilation featuring the Offs, Dead Kennedys, Mutants, Pink Section, and Tuxedo Moon. I mostly bought it for the Offs songs. 

So the Offs are an old ska punk band from San Francisco, and I absolutely love them. I've been a fan for a long time now, problem has always been availability of their music. Back in 2004 I bought a CD of a live show from some random guy named Terri Hammer. Then a few years later I sprung 40 bucks for a copy of their first album which is a bit funkier than the other stuff they've done. Now I finally found some of their other stuff that I have been coveting for years. They're tons of fun and now I'm basically one last 7 inch from having all of their recorded music in my collection. 

Edited by Los Ingobernables De VP

• 3 weeks later...

Holy fuck guys. 

I finally after roughly 12-13 years got my hands on a copy of Chumbawambas "Pictures of Starving Children Sell Records" album. It cost thirty bucks which is a good price considering how much it usually goes for, and most are imports made it a nice find. 

The chase is better than the catch? Not in this case. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Los Ingobernables De VP said:

Holy fuck guys. 

I finally after roughly 12-13 years got my hands on a copy of Chumbawambas "Pictures of Starving Children Sell Records" album. It cost thirty bucks which is a good price considering how much it usually goes for, and most are imports made it a nice find. 

The chase is better than the catch? Not in this case. 

That's such a fucking good album. The drummer in an old local punk band burned me a copy about 12 years back, when I'd posted on a local music forum about it saying I was looking to track it down. Astonishingly good (and mature) for a first album.

The first three Chumbawamba albums are all superb, it's such a shame they'll only be remembered for a shit '90s novelty song.

Yeah, it was definitely a departure from the other Anarchist type stuff in the 80s (thinking like Crass or Flux of Pink Indians). Those albums sounded far more polished and interesting than alot of their peers.

The stuff they’ve done after Tubthumping is ok, but definitely not like the first few albums.