Far Cry 5

probablyoliver

Talking of not being able to fly and shoot, now I can't even defeat John Seed. :/

Edit: Think I did it at the 20th time of asking, and spending about 10k on a plane with rockets because the one you start in wouldn't respawn after the first death. A bit buggy to say the least, especially as the game messed up on me earlier in the battle by the church. The first boss battle has left a bit of a sour taste, I must say.

2 hours ago, Kaney said:

Have they removed the auto drive thing?

You can turn it on and off with a click of the L3 button I believe - I feel it's better and also totally needed for some of the shooting and driving you might need or want to do.

I'm loving the open nature of the game, though it does make it hard to discuss with people because everyone doesn't have the same progression. I ended up doing the Faith Seed stuff first purely because I was in the area and wanted to unlock Peaches as my buddy - and there is SO much cool stuff to talk about there.

Getting towards the end of Faith Seed's region and I've unlocked pretty much every perk I really want except for the final health boost.

I've been going with Boomer and Peaches as a team and they work really well together. Boomer sniffs everyone out and Peaches rips them apart.

Very minor spoiler regarding a stash mission...

There was a house with about half a dozen dogs locked inside it after their owner(s?) had been killed and I was very upset that I couldn't re-home them. All I could do was unlock the place and let them free. 

So I intend to get this when I've finished the games I'm working through at the moment.

I really love taking on missions etc alone as I can get frustrated with guns for hire and helpers etc (even in Fallout they annoy me as they often go charging into enemy when I'm sneaking). So the question is, can you complete the game without having guns for hire or allies?

So, more on my John Seed frustrations.

Spoiler

Considering there are 4 boss battles in the game, and this was my first, I was disappointed how buggy it ran for me. If you played it through yourself without dying, chances are you didn't run into an issue.

First of all at the church, when you're made to use the turret when somebody else drives, it was going fine until I died. Upon respawning, I was back at the church on the turret, but no sign of anyone to drive me anywhere. It just remained there with no enemies showing, and I couldn't exit the vehicle. I tried reloading the last checkpoint, and the same thing again - back of the truck which wouldn't move. I ended up quitting to the main menu and then loading, and it meant I had to watch the whole cut-scene in the church again (no O to skip option), but thankfully 2nd time I didn't die so no issue.

The next stage was ridiculous though. Nick tells me he'll fly if I want him to, except of course I have to fly as well. "get good" comes to mind here, which is fair enough, but after my first plane got shot down, another just refused to respawn, so John is way up in the air and I have no plane. It cost me most of my money to purchase one (I didn't plan on buying a plane as it's a generous game in terms of quick travel) so that pissed me off too. I suck at flying and shooting and I got lucky with a rocket hit from my plane to do most of the damage.

I did like the final section at his bunker though. It was frantic at times but I only died once.

Oh well, on to the next one.

The plan today is to clean up the rest of that region. Got side missions to do, plus I still have to recruit the last gun for hire (Grace?) there, then I'll move on to Faith.

16 hours ago, Kaney said:

Dying to get into this, pre ordered it and haven't had a chance to start yet. How are your first impressions? Better gameplay than 4? Is the map comparable in size or what? I've heard conflicting reports but I think a lot is down to the controversy rather than actual quality.

It's a fun game. My only gripe is that there are times that it doesn't quite feel like an authentic Far Cry game, which I put down more to the setting rather than anything. That isn't so much a complaint because the story is really intriguing. Gameplay is fun, but then again I'm one of the weirdos that really liked Far Cry 4. Map is pretty huge honestly - like, I've just about 100% completed John Seed's region and it took me 3 days pretty much nonstop playing. Yes I took the week off work for this, don't judge me.

14 hours ago, Baddar said:

@Nerf, question...

Once I find a map and it says "5 new locations discovered", am I free to sell that map on without losing the locations? I would assume so but I've kept them just in case.

Also, just decided I hate the flying and shooting moving targets at the same time. Fuck. Managed to do the mission I was on in the end. The beauty is, I suppose, that you don't need to do every mission to accumulate the liberation points, so that's handy as I'm shit on the plane.

I honestly don't know, which is why I've done exactly the same as you and not bothered selling them. Honestly, they're not worth that much anyway, and I've got $50K in the bank now after finishing up all the John side missions. There is one Clutch Nixon mission I have left to do which has made me realise I will never 100% this game - the same will apply to you if you hate planes as much as I do.

8 hours ago, ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster said:

I really love taking on missions etc alone as I can get frustrated with guns for hire and helpers etc (even in Fallout they annoy me as they often go charging into enemy when I'm sneaking). So the question is, can you complete the game without having guns for hire or allies?

Absolutely. I think the main reason for their inclusion is to help liberate cult outposts honestly. In saying that, they aren't nearly as annoying as AI allies usually are in games. In the many times I've used them, only one of them has outed our positions while I was trying to stealth. The rest of the time they are either helpful or nonentities. Either way, you definitely don't NEED them to complete the game, unless something happens later on that I'm not foreseeing.

2 hours ago, Baddar said:

So, more on my John Seed frustrations.

Hide contents

Considering there are 4 boss battles in the game, and this was my first, I was disappointed how buggy it ran for me. If you played it through yourself without dying, chances are you didn't run into an issue.

First of all at the church, when you're made to use the turret when somebody else drives, it was going fine until I died. Upon respawning, I was back at the church on the turret, but no sign of anyone to drive me anywhere. It just remained there with no enemies showing, and I couldn't exit the vehicle. I tried reloading the last checkpoint, and the same thing again - back of the truck which wouldn't move. I ended up quitting to the main menu and then loading, and it meant I had to watch the whole cut-scene in the church again (no O to skip option), but thankfully 2nd time I didn't die so no issue.

The next stage was ridiculous though. Nick tells me he'll fly if I want him to, except of course I have to fly as well. "get good" comes to mind here, which is fair enough, but after my first plane got shot down, another just refused to respawn, so John is way up in the air and I have no plane. It cost me most of my money to purchase one (I didn't plan on buying a plane as it's a generous game in terms of quick travel) so that pissed me off too. I suck at flying and shooting and I got lucky with a rocket hit from my plane to do most of the damage.

I did like the final section at his bunker though. It was frantic at times but I only died once.

Oh well, on to the next one.

Spoiler

Weird. Must have just glitched out. I didn't have any of those issues with that mission. I died once and respawned fine, and even had the same problem as you in that I crashed my plane near the end. All I did then was call Nick in to take John out for me, then just walked to where his plane went down to finish the mission.

• Like 1

I read online afterwards that you can sell the maps on straight after collecting them without losing the points of interest.

As long as I can complete ONE Clutch mission in each region for the trophy I'll be happy. :shifty:

Any of you up for messing about in co op later, even if it's to play some community outposts in the Arcade? I spent 10mins playing on Wednesday, failed, but still got 1000 dollars for levelling up to 2.

53 minutes ago, Baddar said:

Any of you up for messing about in co op later, even if it's to play some community outposts in the Arcade? I spent 10mins playing on Wednesday, failed, but still got 1000 dollars for levelling up to 2.

Yeah I'm down. Haven't touched the Arcade yet and I'm not really into doing any of the campaign in co-op (feels too much like cheating), but fancy seeing what the co-op is like. I don't have a headset anymore though so we'll have to communicate in in-game interpretative dance or something.

Ok so I got out the tutorial bit and the first thing I come across is a big red silo with an icon on it. Shooting is doing nothing how do I blow it up :shifty:

I'll need go find a heli then.

I had forced myself to finish Mass Effect Andromeda before starting this, and in that game you pressed d-pad down to scan shit with your...scanner thing. So far I've came upon 3 separate enemy groups and tried to use the binoculars to tag them and ended up chucking a rock at the fuckers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yo @Kaney, wanna go on a killing spree? We can turn friendly fire off and I'll pretend I thought you were a zombie.

Also that's an invitation to anyone but I know a few of you are miles ahead of me because I've only played like, 2 hours so far.