Avicii, EDM DJ, Dead at 28

ThrillhouseMAX

I didn't recognise the name, but reading that article made me realise that I've heard quite a few of his tracks at the gym over the last few years. I don't think I'll ever be a big fan of that kind of music, but it still beat most of the other crap that gets blasted through the speakers.

I love The Nights as well but it's got a real tragic meaning to it now. It's all about his father telling him to live life to the fullest, and essentially the illnesses he's suffered from constant drinking and partying him have likely ended up being responsible for his death.

R.I.P.

57 minutes ago, Jericode said:

He had other health issues, didn't he? Wasn't that why he stopped touring?

Yeah, apparently from excessive alcohol use.

Yeah, not a huge fan but I love Wake Me Up and Hey Brother.

28 is way too young.

1 hour ago, Jericode said:

He had other health issues, didn't he? Wasn't that why he stopped touring?

I'd hate for it to be drug-related. Whilst the genre isn't really my thing he had some fantastic songs.

He refused multi-million gigs and stopped performing because he couldn't take control over his alcoholism and got to a point where he couldn't even finish 2 hour gigs because he was too wasted to even stand. Had multiple hospital visits too, and effectively walked away from all the big festivals because it's a terrible place for someone with vices to be.

He also suffered from depression, which was another reason why he stopped performing altogether in 2016.

Either way, a really tragic end to someone insanely young and talented, someone who still had the world at his feet. I can only think about how his family are coping under this crushing news.

As someone who is going to be 28 in three months, this hits closer to home than I expected.

I also understand that world due to my brother's experiences as a small time DJ where we live. Even him as a 200-250 bucks a night DJ is surrounded by just stupid amounts of free alcohol, basically anything they want is served for nothing. And there's a mentality where it's weird for a DJ to have soda or water, heavy drinking is really entrenched in that culture, and it's nearly impossible to find a place that'll give you a completely dry booth. Because if it isn't you, it's gonna be an MC or any other person chugging in your vicinity.

Edited by Jasonmufc

I'm still in shock from this news. I must say he had a huge impact on me, as far as producing  music goes. He truly was a musical genius and his track Levels will always be one of my all time favorites. The impact the had on both EDM and mainstream music is unbelievable. Alongside Guetta and Tiesto he was one of those artist that blurred the lines between genres and brought a ton of attention to EDM. Specially after he brought Madonna to perform with him at Ultra Miami.

I watched his documentary just two weeks ago and it was crazy what he was going through. One of the reasons he got alcohol addicted was because he went from his bedroom to playing in front of thousands and thousands, and alcohol was just one of the things that helped him relax and get rid of being nervous. In the end of the documentary it showed him how much better he got since he ended touring and just returned to doing what he loved doing the most - and that is being in the studio. So it came as a huge shock when I found out that a such young and talented person, who beat his addiction and demons passed away. It's a huge loss for EDM and mainstream community.

• Like 1

Listened to the tribute playlist on Spotify for most of today. So sad, was incredibly talented, and someone who produced more than just one song that people who wouldn't otherwise be interested in the genre liked. Was a regular feature on the playlists at house parties when I was a teen, so this one's definitely hit home a bit.

Ah, the only tune I knowingly associated with Avicii was Wake Me Up, which I must admit I didn't particularly like.

But now I've found out he did that Levels one. That's a good wee tune. No doubt there are other songs he did that I'll recognise but never realised he actually did them.

21 hours ago, Cajun Cloudad said:

It's a Dutch church playing an Avicii song on their bells.

21 hours ago, Jasonmufc said:

It's the Dom Tower, the tallest church tower in the Netherlands. Whenever an artist passes away, the carillon player plays one of their songs in tribute.

Cheers, the link had seemingly been taken down when I posted, but was back up.