Summer Transfer Window 2018

Lineker

• Admin

Arsenal have agreed a £26.4m (€30m) deal to sign the Sampdoria midfielder Lucas Torreira and were discussing personal terms with the Uruguayan’s representatives in Milan on Tuesday.

The 22-year-old did have a £21.9m (€25m) release clause in his contract, which has another four years to run, but Arsenal offered the extra €5m to beat off competition from Napoli. The fee will be paid over three years. The Premier League club have offered him a five-year deal and are confident that he will sign it.

Torreira arrived in Italy as a striker, described at the time as the new Carlos Tevez because of his combative style, and joined Perugia in 2013. There, however, he was moved into midfield by the coach and 2006 World Cup winner Massimo Oddo.

He gradually grew into his new role and earned a move to Sampdoria in 2016. He has become a key player at the Stadio Luigi Ferraris and is ranked among the best defensive midfielders in Serie A. He has one Uruguay cap and was included in Óscar Tabárez’s World Cup squad for the tournament in Russia this summer.

The Uruguayan is an extremely hard-working player with a good shot and has scored several goals from set-pieces while at Sampdoria. Torreira would become the new Arsenal manager Unai Emery’s second signing after the capture of the former Juventus defender Stephan Lichtsteiner on a free transfer earlier this month.

On 04/06/2018 at 10:15, Sto Kerea said:

Meanwhile, at Chelsea...

1. Existing manager in limbo, having effectively been a dead man walking for months
2. No new manager choice confirmed
3. No Director of Football for seven months and counting
4. Owner in 'exile' from the country over visa dispute
5. New stadium plans on hold until further notice
6. Star players (Hazard, Courtois) reluctant to extend expiring contracts

I would write my own irritation off as mere impatience, but the combination of an impending World Cup and a transfer window closing 3 weeks earlier than usual don't help matters.

Nor, indeed, do posts from Chelsea's official FB page saying things like "On This Day in 2000, we signed Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink!". Thanks for the reminder of a time when the club looked capable of pressing ahead with important business. <_<

SORT YOURSELVES THE FUCK OUT.

A: "It's been nine days since our last update, and of course tomorrow the World Cup kicks off in Russia... Let's check back in and see what progress Chelsea have made on any of these key issues! Bob?"

B: "Well Adam, very exciting news down here at Stamford Bridge. The club have officially announced...that HYUNDAI will take the sponsorship spot on the players' left sleeves next season. It feels like a whole new world for the Blues."

A: "...That's it?"

B: "Yup."

A: *expletive deleted*

3 minutes ago, The Gazz said:

There's something so Arsenal about offering more than a release clause.

It's over three years so it's not so bad. Aren't release clauses a bit of a ballache anyway? What with the players having to pay the fee themselves, so the buying club has to pay the player enough for the fee and to cover the taxes etc.

I'm not familiar with Leno much but if we sign him, Lichsteiner, Sokratis and Torreira all in one window? Thats some pretty decent beefing up in key areas.

36 minutes ago, Spainanite said:

I'm not familiar with Leno much but if we sign him, Lichsteiner, Sokratis and Torreira all in one window? Thats some pretty decent beefing up in key areas.

I'll be really impressed if Arsenal manage to get all these deals done, especially so early in the summer.

2 hours ago, Colombaddar said:

It's over three years so it's not so bad. Aren't release clauses a bit of a ballache anyway? What with the players having to pay the fee themselves, so the buying club has to pay the player enough for the fee and to cover the taxes etc.

The release clause only applies if the fee is paid up front but we're paying it in instalments, hence the higher value.

42 minutes ago, Spainanite said:

Sky are saying you're in for Gelson Martins if his Sporting contract is terminated.

Interesting that Arsenal are looking to get some experienced heads in as well as young prospects. Think it's needed tbh. 

Nottingham Forest look set to pay £13.2 million for Joao Carvalho from Benfica, which would absolutely smash their previous record transfer fee. By the looks of it, they're going for broke this summer in the hopes of emulating Wolves. If it doesn't work, I can see trouble looming.

4 hours ago, Spainanite said:

I have read that he has recently been very guilty in big lapses of concentration which have cost his team from time-to-time. 

He sounds like the perfect Arsene Wenger goalkeeper signing. 

Oh wait.