Anthony Bourdain dies by suicide at age 61

tristy

To add to what's already been said, I posted this on my Facebook about my occasional suicidal ideation. It absolutely does not give a shit about your circumstances. Sometimes I feel like it's even more severe now that I've actually got a lot to lose.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Sousa said:

Sometimes I feel like it's even more severe now that I've actually got a lot to lose.

I've found this too. In a lot of people, a suicidal urge isn't coming from a place of "I have nothing left to live for", it's coming from a place that is inherently self-destructive - and if that's the case, having more to lose is only going to make that urge stronger, if anything.

• Like 5

I only just woke up and was scrolling through Twitter, and started getting gradually more and more concerned that I kept seeing people reminiscing about Bourdain. What awful, awful news. No Reservations was, for a time, one of my favorite shows to have on while I was doing something else and I really regret not continuing on with him through the entire show and Parts Unknown. He always came off to me like the culinary version of the record store owner who might come off a little full of himself at times but also sincerely cares about and enjoys music in a way that makes you care more too. The world is decidedly worse without him there, finding little restaurants in countries you've never been to and cities you've never truly explored and making you want nothing more than to travel and get a bite to eat.

• Like 1

I don’t really have all the words right now. Maybe later. But this is significant. He was significant. He was significant to me and how I’ve changed. Mostly what I have right now is sadness.

Check on your people. That’s what I’m doing.

I echo what @Ms. Canadian Destroyer said in the other thread. Talk. If you have issues that you feel you can't deal with, talk to someone. Hell, talk to me. I'm probably not doing anything important and I will give up my time to try and help. A lot of you guys I would call friends, some are closer to me than some of my family. Don't suffer in silence and don't suffer alone. Maybe if we do this together it won't be so much suffering at all.

• Like 5

Can we also please try not to say "commit" suicide, and say he died by suicide instead?

The term "commit" in this context links back to when the act of suicide was deemed a criminal offense, and it's a terrible term.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Rich said:

Can we also please try not to say "commit" suicide, and say he died by suicide instead?

The term "commit" in this context links back to when the act of suicide was deemed a criminal offense, and it's a terrible term.

I’ve never even thought of that. Great point.

• Like 2

I remember the first episode of No Reservations that I saw.   Was at a friends house and Anthony was waiting in line ast,  I think it was,  a bbq place in NYC.   The first words I heard from his mouth were "You know,  I used to buy heroin in this alley" and I was a fan ever since

29 minutes ago, Rich said:

I've never considered that myself, often use the word 'commit' when referring to my own suicide attempt. Thanks for bringing it to attention.

• Like 1

Apparently it was suicide by hanging. Damn. 

Loved just about all his shows, except that shitty competition series The Taste. And that would have been much improved if they had dumped Nigella Lawson.

R.I.P.

(I highly recommend tracking the Dublin episode of The Layover down.)

I've been meaning to read it,  but today I bought his first book,  Kitchen Confidential.   Bought it almost 2 hours ago and I'm already about 30% through it.   It really is a FASCINATING read.   If anyone hasn't read it, I'd highly recommend it

• Like 1

• Like 1