Premier League 2018/19

Lineker

I would be very surprised if city don't also drop points between now and the end of the season. 

Some interesting rule changes from next season;

No goals as a result of a handball, regardless of intent, will be allowed to stand.

Handball will be called regardless of intent if your arms are in an unnatural position and not in a natural silhouette, as they've put it.

No attacking players allowed in an opposition's wall.

No rebounds from pens.

3 minutes ago, Baddar said:

Booooo. I've always liked the strategy involved in this.

4 minutes ago, Baddar said:

No rebounds from pens.

...Wait, so if the keeper pushes the ball straight back to the attacker, play just stops and it's a goal kick?

Fuck that.

15 minutes ago, Baddar said:

No goals as a result of a handball, regardless of intent, will be allowed to stand.

Handball will be called regardless of intent if your arms are in an unnatural position and not in a natural silhouette, as they've put it.

I think both of these are just in response to VAR controversies here and there, good decision for me though the second one is just the current ref guidance rewritten as a rule, doesn't actually change anything.

Echoing Stoker on the penalty one, so the ball is dead as soon as what? It hits the keeper? It hits the post? What if it comes off the post and goes in off the keeper, does that not count? Seems a very odd change to address nothing of note.

47 minutes ago, Baddar said:

Some interesting rule changes from next season;

No rebounds from pens.

Is this only in regards to goals, or anywhere on the pitch? 

Someone I was chatting to a while ago said they were going to make any contact with the arm deemed handball and I thought it was daft and you might get more and more players deliberately aiming for the arms in and around the penalty area.

2 hours ago, Liam Mk2 said:

Is this only in regards to goals, or anywhere on the pitch? 

Someone I was chatting to a while ago said they were going to make any contact with the arm deemed handball and I thought it was daft and you might get more and more players deliberately aiming for the arms in and around the penalty area.

Just goals, or if a handball directly leads to a goal.

If you deliberately aim at somebody's arm, a pen won't be given as long as they're jumping around and making themselves unrealistically big to block the shot.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Baddar said:

No, ball goes dead after it's taken like in a shootout. 

That is a terrible change. What on Earth is the reasoning behind it?

It's not even a problem that needs fixing (penalty dead ball or the attacking players in the wall) so why are they making change for changes sake. 

They should perhaps sort out encroachment during penalties but that's literally about it. 

I guess they might have been targeting "rules that are never enforced with any degree of consistency but the game seems to manage fine anyway". That would explain the penalty rule (re: encroachment, generally ignored unless it's Frank Lampard taking three successive penalties against West Ham) and the handball rules (eliminating the murkiness of intent). As for the freekick wall rule...erm...maybe they just want to deal with less whinging about it from defenders?

I hope they carry this forward and just go back to the olden days definition of offside given how poorly it's being applied by the VAR monkeys who can't look at more than one thing at once.

This penalty thing, I hadn't heard of it until now with the other rules and I've just read the Sky Sports article on the IFAB changes that ends with this:

This is an updated and corrected version of this article. The first edition mistakenly referred to a rule in relation to penalties which will not come into effect.

So, not sure where this one has come from? I actually do think it is unfair that a penalty taker can just stick a rebound in if the keeper saves it, because there's not really enough time for defenders to get into a legitimate defensive position from it a lot of the time. Either way, this alleged rule isn't going to be one of the new ones.

The handball one, the defensive wall and substitution changes all make sense to me.