Premier League 2018/19

Lineker

Next season might as well be a write off already really. Arsenal and Liverpool have both made several great signings, City and Spurs don't even need to change their current formulas, and Man Utd haven't spent a month waiting for the dust to settle from last season. Focusing on the Europa League seems like the best way of achieving Champions League qualification for next season because even finishing 5th seems like a stretch at the moment.

Edited by Naitch

3 minutes ago, Naitch said:

Next season might as well be a write off already really. Arsenal and Liverpool have both made several great signings, City and Spurs don't even need to change their current formulas, and Man Utd haven't spent a month waiting for the dust to settle from last season. Focusing on the Europa League seems like the best way of achieving Champions League qualification for next season because even finishing 5th seems like a stretch at the moment.

Just so long as the board realise the position they've put the team/manager in. If this clusterfuck continues and yet whoever-the-manager-is still gets the classic "well not everything's been perfect so lol you're sacked" treatment then God help us.

Am I right in thinking Courtois's contract runs out as well at the end of the upcoming season?? 

1 hour ago, Sto Kerea said:

10 days until the first Chelsea players are due back at Cobham for pre-season... Still no resolution on the managerial front...

You're not alone, Rovers the other day delayed their managerial appointment until next week and our pre-season training begins on Monday! Think we're the only side without a manager in the entire 92 now.

4 minutes ago, Sto Kerea said:

You could say that Chelsea are also 'without a manager', except that they happen to still be paying the salary of one. :shifty: 

Yeah but at least if it doesn't get resolved Conte will presumably still take charge, so you won't want him but you'll still have a world class manager in situ. We've got the sports science guy taking training next week!

Anyone know what day tickets for opening match of the season go on sale? The other half supports Man U and I support Leicester so I'd love to take her to Old Trafford for the opening day of the season. Not optimistic I could get tickets, but want to give it a shot.

14 minutes ago, Benji said:

Anyone know what day tickets for opening match of the season go on sale? The other half supports Man U and I support Leicester so I'd love to take her to Old Trafford for the opening day of the season. Not optimistic I could get tickets, but want to give it a shot.

I suspect it's different for each club. Chelsea's first tickets go on sale on July 19th. Can't see what it is United but, as Baddar says, you'd have to buy a pair of memberships to get normal tickets that way.

I'd imagine it'll be harder as it's opening day. You can become a member and then "apply" for 4 matches of your choosing, and hopefully get them that way - but that's not to say BOTH of you will get them. It's a tad annoying.

18 hours ago, Colombaddar said:

I'd imagine it'll be harder as it's opening day. You can become a member and then "apply" for 4 matches of your choosing, and hopefully get them that way - but that's not to say BOTH of you will get them. It's a tad annoying.

And more so if you want to sit next to each other. I remember when my mate and I used to go regularly and just to make sure we got tickets, sometimes we were in a different stand. Always spotted each other though and then commenced via sign language to call each other a "wanker".

23 minutes ago, Matt said:

Seems pretty dumb given that there's always a shit load of empty seats. So all those day trippers have to buy a membership first?

The empty seats in league games anyway are usual season ticket holders who don't make the match. There's well over 50,000 season ticket holders.

Yep! Usually they allow non-members to buy tickets for League Cup games and early rounds of the FA Cup although these tickets cost more than for members.

19 hours ago, Benji said:

It'll be different for each club, but you've got no chance of sitting in the away end without being a Leicester season ticket holder. So, you'd have to try for the home section - for which you'd have to register you both as United members (an annual fee x2), add her to your "friends and family" section, and both try to purchase tickets individually and just hope that you both get one. There is but one guarantee with footy tickets: there are no guarantees.

Oh, and obligatory warning to not use touts or resellers. Not only because you risk getting fake tickets, but also because ultimately other fans suffer for it.

All this discussion makes me even more glad I support a lower league team. I remember having to become a member just to go to an Everton game a few years ago, although I got Newcastle tickets easily enough by having an NE postcode. Could even buy them in Sports Direct!

I get all the membership stuff, but what's this nonsense about having to buy 2 tickets individually and hope they're together? That's madness.

@PanamAdamAlso, when you say Sports Direct, do you mean the ticket office that used to be in the club shop, because I don't think we ever sold them in Sports Direct...