Sky Bet EFL 2018/19

Lineker

I'm starting to get a bit narked by this "Sunderland Til I Die" documentary on Netflix. The subject matter is all well and interesting, but the way they chop and change stuff around is getting irritating.

For instance, when showing Sunderland away at Brentford they keep using shots of Simon Grayson blatantly taken from a different game, which was away at Hull. The difference in the two grounds is so obvious. I'm onto Episode 5 and there's been loads of stuff in this one - reaction shots of fans at Birmingham blatantly re-used from a prior match, fans moaning after the game shown as if it's after losing to Barnsley on New Year's Day when it can't be because the highlights showed it was dark yet these fans are all walking round in daylight. Audio made out as if everyone is booing because Sunderland concede an equaliser in the first half against someone else. Robbie Stockdale referred to in a graphic as "Caretaker Manager" even though it's supposed to be two months after Coleman arrived.

Alright, so I'm a hardcore football fan and can spot some of this stuff easily because of that, but once I've first noticed them being disingenuous with their footage, it detracts from my belief in what they're presenting to me as real and I don't think that's good for a documentary. It's mostly stuff they probably didn't need to do as well.

Everyone keeps saying how good a series it is, and yes it's really interesting looking behind the scenes at a club, especially one that's struggling, but to be honest I don't think it's that well made and so far, it seems to have quite a scattered focus to what they're trying to get across. 

On 31/12/2018 at 00:43, Adam es Tranquilo said:

I'm starting to get a bit narked by this "Sunderland Til I Die" documentary on Netflix. The subject matter is all well and interesting, but the way they chop and change stuff around is getting irritating.

For instance, when showing Sunderland away at Brentford they keep using shots of Simon Grayson blatantly taken from a different game, which was away at Hull. The difference in the two grounds is so obvious. I'm onto Episode 5 and there's been loads of stuff in this one - reaction shots of fans at Birmingham blatantly re-used from a prior match, fans moaning after the game shown as if it's after losing to Barnsley on New Year's Day when it can't be because the highlights showed it was dark yet these fans are all walking round in daylight. Audio made out as if everyone is booing because Sunderland concede an equaliser in the first half against someone else. Robbie Stockdale referred to in a graphic as "Caretaker Manager" even though it's supposed to be two months after Coleman arrived.

Alright, so I'm a hardcore football fan and can spot some of this stuff easily because of that, but once I've first noticed them being disingenuous with their footage, it detracts from my belief in what they're presenting to me as real and I don't think that's good for a documentary. It's mostly stuff they probably didn't need to do as well.

Everyone keeps saying how good a series it is, and yes it's really interesting looking behind the scenes at a club, especially one that's struggling, but to be honest I don't think it's that well made and so far, it seems to have quite a scattered focus to what they're trying to get across. 

The editing is atrocious, the player/staff interviews are fascinating but like you say it seems thrown together and they had plenty of time and given it's produced by Sunderland fans it should be better. They've only seemed to interview absolute divvies as well when it comes to fans. I still love it but it's very jarring the way they've edited it.

Edited by Just Joe
  • Like 1

It was produced by Sunderland fans!? I thought from watching it that Americans or at least people with limited prior football knowledge were making it. Ah well. I finished it last night and I don't think it was really that good, they should've narrowed focus on certain subjects instead of trying to show too much. Jonny Williams was an interesting one, as was the youngsters Maja and Asoro, but aside from them and Martin Bain, and the managers I suppose, it felt fairly shallow and didn't delve enough into interesting topics.

I got absolutely sick of every single opposition goal being made to look like it led to Sunderland fans booing incessantly, as if that happens. You don't concede an equaliser away at Millwall and all boo loudly when it goes in. Just silly editing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Adam es Tranquilo said:

It was produced by Sunderland fans!? I thought from watching it that Americans or at least people with limited prior football knowledge were making it. Ah well. I finished it last night and I don't think it was really that good, they should've narrowed focus on certain subjects instead of trying to show too much. Jonny Williams was an interesting one, as was the youngsters Maja and Asoro, but aside from them and Martin Bain, and the managers I suppose, it felt fairly shallow and didn't delve enough into interesting topics.

I got absolutely sick of every single opposition goal being made to look like it led to Sunderland fans booing incessantly, as if that happens. You don't concede an equaliser away at Millwall and all boo loudly when it goes in. Just silly editing.

Yeah Fulwell 73 are the production company behind it, they do James Corden's show out in the states and it actually does feel like it was made with a US audience in mimd. Not sure what the budget was but it should be better given it's on Netflix. Seen better stuff put out on youtube by the likes of Copa90.

I was at the premiere screening and they're filmimg this season as well but no confirmation of it being comissioned yet but they did say they got a whole new production crew in. 

Edited by Just Joe
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Baddar said:

Stoke have sacked Gary Rowett. Pardew and Hughes on high alert.

Imagine the fume if Mark Hughes went back. 

• Haha 1

'Arry has shown he can do it on a humid mid-afternoon in the Australian jungle, but can he do it on a wet, windy night in Stoke?

He would already have Peter Crouch, all he needs is Niko Kranjcar..

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lineker said:

Sky Sports News expect Luton Town manager Nathan Jones to be appointed the Stoke City manager later today. The compensation fee of over £1m has been agreed with the Sky Bet League One club.

That's alot of bail money to post.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, 9 to 5 said:

That's alot of bail money to post.

What's more of a punishment though... Prison, managing Luton or living in Stoke? 

Karanka's been treated badly by the board. He's been doing a good job and has Forest close to the playoffs, which can't be bad when you consider the fact that they've been at the lower end of the league for the last few seasons. The club has spent a lot of money and obviously wants promotion as soon as possible, but getting rid of a decent manager halfway through the season doesn't seem like a great way to achieve that.

1 hour ago, Lineker said:

Apparently, a member of staff from Leeds United Football Club has been caught spying on Derby's training ground.

• Like 6

To my knowledge there's absolutely nothing to suggest that the person was in any way connected to Leeds United. But then again, some random cunt breaks into Frank Lanpard's Derby's training ground isn't a good news story. 

Bielsa has probably watched most of Frank Lampard's Derby's games and will have gained far more knowledge from that than he ever could from some tit passing on a message that they're practicing short corners. 

The only way sending a spy would be useful would be if Frank Lampard's Derby were going to play a completely different style of football to what they've played all season. 

Edit: apparently it was on public land, so the person in question wasn't even trespassing. What a fucking non story. 

Edited by Matt