Sky Bet EFL 2018/19

Lineker

29 minutes ago, Matt said:

I hope BBC have a pre-match interview with Frank Lampard tonight

They did and he refused to comment, probably didn't want Bielsa to upload those files to the LMA's Google drive

I like how Derby basically complaining has led to Bielsa just practically exposing a shit ton of information on Derby. Bet Lampard didn't even know half of the stuff Bielsa knows about his team. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Adam es Tranquilo said:

Any chance of Ardley losing his job? What's a third sacking of the season gonna harm...

Who knows? The players at the moment just aren't good enough, and I don't think there's anyone who can get much more out of them right now. When I saw them last week, they had most of the possession, but they couldn't do anything with it, and it looks as though the same thing happened today.

Kevin Nolan was a decent motivator and seemed to have a good rapport with the players, but he did a poor job of squad building over the summer and, by all accounts, never got the players' fitness levels up sufficiently during pre-season. Harry Kewell managed to string some results together to begin with, but his volatile nature soon made things turn sour, which I could have predicted before he was appointed.

Really, I think Notts flattered to deceive last year and were particularly helped by having some loan signings from Forest. Jorge Grant and Ryan Yates were very good League Two players who gave the team a competitive midfield, which was never more apparent than when Yates' loan finished last January and the club slipped down the league. From what I've read, that link-up between the two clubs isn't there now, with Mansfield getting Forest's promising youngsters on loan instead. They're competing for promotion this season.

I know it's only sport and it's trivial compared to the big issues facing the world, but it's still unpleasant for me. I'm not at my best personally at the moment anyway, and it would be nice if my club could give me something to cheer about, but it's not happening and isn't likely to. It's the oldest league club in the world and a club that my grandfather started following before the First World War, and now it's at its lowest point ever. It's depressing.

13 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

I know it's only sport and it's trivial compared to the big issues facing the world, but it's still unpleasant for me. I'm not at my best personally at the moment anyway, and it would be nice if my club could give me something to cheer about, but it's not happening and isn't likely to. It's the oldest league club in the world and a club that my grandfather started following before the First World War, and now it's at its lowest point ever. It's depressing.

Sometimes relegation can be a good thing. We are, apart from a small blip in form, TOP OF THE LEAGUE BABY. League Three champs in the making. You can't polish a turd but you can sprinkle glitter on it.

It's true, many clubs have gone on to stronger heights after a spell in the Conference/National League. Carlisle, Bristol Rovers, Shrewsbury, Oxford, Luton, now Lincoln. The most successful of them all...Doncaster Rovers!

Yes, dropping out of the league is a disaster and it can be difficult to get back out but clubs the size of Notts County don't stay down there forever and getting back into a culture of winning and playing new teams can lead to a strong reboot.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Baddar said:

Paul Scholes is in talks to take over at Oldham.

Hopefully he gets it so I don't have to listen to him being miserable on punditry 

22 minutes ago, Adam es Tranquilo said:

It's true, many clubs have gone on to stronger heights after a spell in the Conference/National League. Carlisle, Bristol Rovers, Shrewsbury, Oxford, Luton, now Lincoln. The most successful of them all...Doncaster Rovers!

Yes, dropping out of the league is a disaster and it can be difficult to get back out but clubs the size of Notts County don't stay down there forever and getting back into a culture of winning and playing new teams can lead to a strong reboot.

Sometimes it's the culture shock that clubs need to realise they need to get some long term planning in place to rebuild the club back up and keep them sustainable. 

51 minutes ago, Adam es Tranquilo said:

I hope you're right. Those clubs have recovered well, and you could add possibly add Exeter and Mansfield to the list by the end of this season. My hope is that Notts follow in their footsteps, and not those of Boston, Scarborough, York, Torquay, Stockport, Chester and Hereford.

I think what's particularly sad is that Notts have several local/local-ish derbies at the moment, all of which bring big crowds to Meadow Lane. You've got Mansfield, Lincoln and Grimsby, with Cambridge not so far away either. In the National League, the only nearby teams are Chesterfield and Aldershot, and they're both in big danger of being relegated anyway.