Sign in to follow this  
Lineker

Sky Bet EFL 2018/19

Their website has gone down. What did it say?

Roland Duchatelet acquired Charlton on January 3rd 2014.  

At that time of the purchase, Charlton competed in the Championship, a competition that was governed by the Financial Fair Play rules (FFP). Those rules allowed a club to make an annual operating loss of £3 million plus a further maximum of £3-5 million of shareholder investment. With an average annual turnover of £12m, Charlton was thus allowed to make losses up to 50-60% of its turnover.

During seasons 2013/14 and 2014/15 several EFL club meetings were held to discuss a change of the FFP rules. After several unsuccessful votes in the space of a couple of months, in November 2014, the EFL finally found a majority amongst the Championship clubs to allow a club to have permitted losses up to a maximum of £39m over three seasons or £15m over three seasons in case there is no shareholder investment.

Thus, 10 months after the purchase, Duchatelet’s Charlton had to compete in a competition where clubs are allowed to lose £13m per season which equates to 108% of its turnover. Under these new Profitability and Sustainability rules (P&S), the EFL is allowing or actually forcing shareholders to double their shareholder investments and thus dramatically increasing the financial burden on those shareholders.

While the attractiveness of the Championship competition has always been that it’s the most competitive league in the world, it is now becoming renowned for being the biggest financial graveyard or black hole in football.

Under the Owners’ and Directors’ test, the EFL has to assess and give its final approval for the purchase of a club. It does so with a special focus ‘to protect the image and integrity of The League and its competitions, the well-being of the Clubs and the interests of all the stakeholders in those Clubs’ (Appendix 3 of the EFL Regulations). If this is one of the objectives of the EFL, it’s hard to see how under these P&S rules increasing the (shareholders’) debt of clubs is protecting the well-being of the Clubs and the interests of their stakeholders.

The first seasons under Duchatelet Charlton finished 18th and 10th in the Championship. After two years of ownership without problems Charlton got too many injuries relative to its limited squad size. Results were poor. Fans started to criticise and then protest, sometimes during the games, which didn’t help. Charlton got relegated to League One.

As a result of the damaging and sometimes criminal fans protests and the changed financial climate of the P&S rules, Charlton were officially put up for sale at the end of 2017. A few months later Heads of Terms were in place with two candidate buyers, pending the funding of the transaction.

However, new incidents were created by a coalition of fans against the owner based on fake news, like young players were not getting water to drink and staff not being paid due bonuses. It’s hard to deny that such actions could jeopardise the ongoing purchase process. The EFL said it would intervene to find out who was telling the truth but nothing like that happened. They did not really investigate things. Moreover EFL representatives suggested to the group of critics that their claims of August 2018 relating to the bonus might have some basis (despite the fact the EFL hadn’t investigated). Two fans found sufficient support in this ambivalent attitude of the EFL to come to Belgium last weekend. They tagged and damaged several properties of Duchatelet, the homes of two friends of Duchatelet and the house of the friend of a friend.

Football has been the fastest growing industry in England in recent decades.

However which foreign candidate owner will be prepared to invest millions to get a chance to bring a club to the Premier League and at the same time accept acts of vandalism against his property and intrusion in his private life, wherever in the world he/she lives?

Therefore the owner demands that the EFL acquires his football club.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Gazz said:

Therefore the owner demands that the EFL acquires his football club.

Brilliant

"I'm having trouble selling this car I've run into the ground therefore the DVLA must buy it from me."

• Haha 1

Complete and utter dickbag.

If it works I wouldn't like to see the state of Mike Ashley's trousers.

21 minutes ago, Colly said:

If it works I wouldn't like to see the state of Mike Ashley's trousers.

Sick cunt.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, 9 to 5 said:

Sick cunt.

I said wouldn't. You've gone wrong.

Leeds, Leeds are falling apart again

Bielsa's got a bucket, 

he sits on every game,

and when we win promotion, 

we'll fill it with champagne

Edited by Matt

https://www.safc.com/fans/supporters-branches/international-branches/north-korea

SUNDERLAND AFC NORTH KOREA
Email: contact@visitthedprk.org  

What inspired you to support Sunderland?

I was born and grew up in Sunderland. Like most of us, it's team of my family. It's my heritage, it's a part of who I am. I am very proud of that. Be it the best of times or the worst of times.

Have you watched Sunderland ‘til I die on Netflix? What did you think of it?  

It's been eyeopening to see the mistakes and disappointments which brought our club down. It's tough to take sometimes, but I cannot say I am not happy with the publicity our club has been able to receive. It's been good for our profile.

What time are the Sunderland matches on in North Korea and do you watch them with any other supporters?

In the Korean timezone, saturday afternoon kickoffs start at midnight and midweek evening games are about 4am. I haven't had the opportunity yet of getting together with anyone else to watch them.

What was the first Sunderland match you ever watched? Can you remember the score?

I absolutely remember it. When I was a child my Aunty took me to see Sunderland vs. Aston Villa in 2002. We won 1-0 from a goal from David Bellion, turned out to be the only one he would ever score for us.

How long have you been supporting Sunderland for?

All my life, of course.

Why do you want to make Sunderland Football Club popular in North Korea?

Sunderland is more than just a football club, it is a passion and it is a part of who we are. It is a symbol of our city, of our heritage and standing as a people in North East England. It is who we understand ourselves to be in this world. To be able to share that passion with even the most isolated countries in the world is a bridge that allows us to reach out and connect with people of cultures and backgrounds so different to our own.
For the people of North Korea to grasp the spirit of Sunderland is something that broadens their horizons and gives them a new perspective, an attachment to the outside world.

Roughly, how many Sunderland fans are there in Pyongyang now?

We are starting from scratch. That is the excitement of this challenge. They have an awareness of the premier league and inevitably drift towards the "big teams", but we are going to connect with them in a personal way which no club has ever yet tried.

What are you going to do to create a large Sunderland fanbase in Pyongyang?  

Our plan is to raise awareness by donating a gradual flow of Sunderland merchandise to the country, including football shirts, scarfs and other memorabilia. We will look at donating to local schools, colleges and other institutions. North Koreans do love their football, but they have no access or resources to buy things like football shirts. This provides an incredible opportunity not just to develop our fanbase, but to engage in a profound act of charity as well to a people much less fortunate than our own.

Because why not? The North Korean people have suffered enough.

Cov City’s future isn’t looking great at the moment, so we’re going all out to save them.

90891D5D-B97F-49F4-A44F-27C090C2C3A6.jpeg

• Like 1

On 03/03/2019 at 13:44, MDK said:

https://www.safc.com/fans/supporters-branches/international-branches/north-korea

Because why not? The North Korean people have suffered enough.

I know of the lad who set it up, he was/is a UKIP Party Member, no wonder he moved over there, probably loves their Government. 

Birmingham City fan had just ran on the pitch and hit Jack Grealish.

Disgusting behaviour 

• Like 2

Jack is fucking great. Picked himself up, didn't let it get to him, scored the winning goal. Mature performance. 

Oh to be the copper to be able to tell that prick the final score.

There was footage of one of the stewards kicking him during the goal celebrations as well, I thought I saw on twitter?

1 minute ago, Plubby said:

There was footage of one of the stewards kicking him during the goal celebrations as well, I thought I saw on twitter?

Yeah I had clocked that too. Police were seen leading him away, so indication that he has been arrested or anything at this time. 

If he has indeed done that, it is arguably worse, because for an employee of a club to do something like that...wow.

49 minutes ago, Colly said:

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, DavidMarrio said:

He believes the Earth is flat

Paul Scholes has already left the Oldham job. 

Huge goal for Sheffield United that.

• Like 1

Fuck sake. Absolutely battered them, managed 0 shots on target. I feel like we can't afford to drop many more points now, maybe one game and that's it. I can't deal with the fucking playoffs. I'll literally just go live underground for 3 weeks.