Sky Bet EFL 2018/19

Lineker

• Admin

Bolton will have to play their next two league matches behind closed doors after the club’s safety advisory group decided the Championship strugglers could not guarantee fans at the University of Bolton Stadium would be safe.

The safety group, made up of representatives the local council, police and emergency services, informed the EFL on Tuesday that it had placed a prohibition notice on the club under the Safety of Sports Grounds Act 1975.

The news comes a day before the club are due in the high court, facing a winding-up petition from HMRC for £1.2m in unpaid tax and other debts.

Bolton told the group it could not address its concerns until after that hearing, prompting the safety experts to rule that supporters will be prevented from entering the ground for the games against Ipswich on Saturday and Middlesbrough next Tuesday.

An EFL spokesman said: “Whilst disappointed, the EFL understands the rationale for the position taken by the safety advisory group at this time.

“However, we still hope the fixtures will take place as planned. We will work with the club and offer them any practical assistance that is available to us in an attempt to find a successful and timely resolution.”

Bolton are five points from safety and their players are on a 48-hour strike after staff wages were not paid on time for the second month in a row.

Earlier the chairman, Ken Anderson, had urged the players to get back to work, while denying reports that the club’s sale is in trouble and that he is holding out for a large payment.

He told the club’s website: “We are not the only club to have paid players late and there are many precedents of this happening.

“Indeed, I was told yesterday that at least at one club, the players were buying their own food and doing their own laundry for many weeks, but to the best of my knowledge, none of the players at those clubs went on strike and let’s remember, yesterday was only April 1, so it is not as if it is weeks late, is it?

“However, I accept that two wrongs don’t make a right and everyone should be paid on time.”

Anderson said wages could not be paid until Wednesday for “legal reasons”, and revealed he had pumped £1.5m into Bolton in recent months to prevent them from entering administration.

• 2 weeks later...

Joey Barton being investigated by police for allegedly assaulting Barnsley manager Daniel Stendel in the tunnel after Barnsley beat his Fleetwood side 4-2 today.

Utter scumbag isn't he, Barton. Football would be a much better place without him in it.

51 minutes ago, Adam said:

Joey Barton being investigated by police for allegedly assaulting Barnsley manager Daniel Stendel in the tunnel after Barnsley beat his Fleetwood side 4-2 today.

Utter scumbag isn't he, Barton. Football would be a much better place without him in it.

He's done some horrible things in the past and always gets another chance, so I doubt this will be any different. I've gone through his Wikipedia page to find some of them:

Put out a lit cigar in someone's eye.

Physically attacked a 15 year old.

Punched a teammate until he was unconscious.

Punched a teenager to unconsciousness and broke another one's teeth on a night out.

Punched Morten Gamst Pedersen in the chest.

Made homophobic comments at Fernando Torres.

Elbowed Carlos Tevez, kicked Sergio Aguero and tried to headbutt Vincent Kompany in the space of thirty seconds.

Punched Tom Huddlestone in the nuts.

Placed 1,260 bets on football matches despite knowing he wasn't allowed to.

Just now, Adam said:

Bizarre. Hope he gets arrested, apparently he knocked two of Stendel's teeth out and left him bloodied. Fleetwood should sack him if so, and he should be banned from the sport.

He should finally get a prison sentence hopefully.

• Like 1

I never understood why the media (especially the BBC) was so keen on getting Joey Barton's opinion on everything towards the end of his playing career. He's always been a nasty thug and he only really had one good season in the Premier League. If he doesn't get sacked for this, any faith I had in league football will be gone.

49 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

I never understood why the media (especially the BBC) was so keen on getting Joey Barton's opinion on everything towards the end of his playing career. He's always been a nasty thug and he only really had one good season in the Premier League. If he doesn't get sacked for this, any faith I had in league football will be gone.

I think he temporarily rebuilt his public perception by saying coherent things on Twitter. It didn't last long.

One eyewitness claimed: “Barton lost his rag after Stendel got involved in the sending-off.

“Barton was protesting to officials when Stendel told him to ‘leave it, it is what it is.’

“Barton was sat on the bench after the sending- off, absolutely furious Stendel had got involved. At the end he went down the tunnel and started having a go.

“The other manager called him a ‘f***ing scally’ and Barton headbutted and punched him and put his hands around this throat.

“Nobody could believe what they were seeing.”

Sounds like the reaction of a reasonable, disciplined and perfectly sane individual.

The sending off in question, by the way, was awful. Fleetwood's Souttar just jumped in, leading with his elbow, to an aerial challenge and smashed into the Barnsley player, on first viewing it reminded me of the disgraceful elbow by Chris Morgan on Iain Hume, also of Barnsley at the time, that nearly killed him.

A thug leading thugs, is Barton. If the above account is true, then he needs to be charged surely?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

In fairness he was the 4th least cunty person on that episode of Question Time.

Are we honestly shocked that Joey Barton is a scumbag? He hasn't changed one bit and has always been a scumbag.