The Vanarama Non-League Football Thread

Adam

With the big news that Leyton Orient have been bought by the donut king (or something), now seems the best time to launch a thread for the fabled National League.

After all, we have two prominent members joining the league in @MDK and @Dan, much as they might hate it being pointed out. And hey, we might have some closet Bromley fans knocking about? Or Ebbsfleet? Eastleigh!? No?

Either way, I follow non-league football quite keenly having started my time in football watching my team around the country at some absolutely tiny clubs, so yeah.

Also, suck it @Lineker (H):P

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Lineker said:

I'm going to allow this.

Thank you.

You don't happen to know when the fixtures are out do you? They seem to not be released yet.

Ooh. ALSO, they have changed the play off system at this level so now six teams compete in the play-offs. That makes it easier for Orient and Pools to make it into the post-season shake-up!

• Admin
On 6/23/2017 at 02:00, Adam said:

Thank you.

You don't happen to know when the fixtures are out do you? They seem to not be released yet.

Ooh. ALSO, they have changed the play off system at this level so now six teams compete in the play-offs. That makes it easier for Orient and Pools to make it into the post-season shake-up!

• Like 2

On 2017-6-23 at 02:00, Adam said:

Dunno about that. Getting promoted from 5/6th feels like a swiz, but 7th?! Grimsby finishing 4th was close enough to taking the piss, but at least we were challenging the automatic promotion until a collapse near the end of the season.

2 hours ago, GA! said:

Dunno about that. Getting promoted from 5/6th feels like a swiz, but 7th?! Grimsby finishing 4th was close enough to taking the piss, but at least we were challenging the automatic promotion until a collapse near the end of the season.

The way I see it, since everyone knows going in that you can get promoted from 6th/7th, it's fine ethically and we've seen teams go up from the last spot before and do well in the league above. To get promoted from that low a league standing I think you'd have to beat three teams who finished higher than you, which surely proves you worthy enough of promotion at that point?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40449640

Former Leyton Orient chairman Barry Hearn has been named as honorary president of the club, just three months after resigning from the role.

The 69-year-old sports promoter quit in April after the O's had failed to pay staff their wages for March.

His return comes a week after Nigel Travis' takeover of the National League side from ex-owner Francesco Becchetti.

"I have always been a fan and right now I couldn't be any happier for Orient as a club," said Hearn.

"I think it is another statement of how well Nigel and his team have started to turn this club around already."

Baz is back! :w00t:

• Like 4

I'm legit really happy that this has happened for Orient, they really deserve a break. The fans were great when we went there in April, chipped in a few quid for the cause and bought the fold-out three page programme. Good club, I hope I can visit Brisbane Road again in the near future with Rovers!

• Like 2

Leyton Orient will go to Sutton United for their first match of the 2017-18 National League season on 5 August.

Fellow relegated side Hartlepool United start their campaign at home to Dover.

National League North champions AFC Fylde host Boreham Wood, while Maidenhead, winners of National League South, will start away at Maidstone.

Ebbsfleet's fifth-tier return begins at Guiseley, while fellow promoted side FC Halifax Town host Aldershot in their first fixture.

Halifax were relegated from the division as recently as 2016, while Ebbsfleet ended their four-season absence from the fifth tier by winning the National League South play-offs.

Both Hartlepool and managerless Orient, who are looking for their 12th boss since July 2014, have new owners in place as they look to regroup after dropping out of the English Football League.

The O's, who had been in the EFL since 1905 before being relegated, have had a winding-up petition dismissed and appointed their former boss Martin Ling as director of football at the end of last season.

Both Fylde and Maidenhead will compete in the National League for the first time in their history, with Fylde operating as an amateur club as recently as a decade ago under the name Kirkham & Wesham.

It's a team you are probably at least somewhat familiar with following their FA Cup run last season, ending in that ridiculous "Piegate" scandal in defeat to Arsenal.

The full Vanaramallamadrama Premier League fixtures on the opening day are:

• AFC Fylde v Boreham Wood
  • Bromley v Eastleigh
  • Dagenham & Redbridge v Barrow
  • FC Halifax Town v Aldershot Town
  • Guiseley v Ebbsfleet United
  • Hartlepool United v Dover Athletic
  • Maidstone United v Maidenhead United
  • Solihull Moors v Chester
  • Sutton United v Leyton Orient (12:30 BST)
  • Torquay United v Tranmere Rovers
  • Woking v Gateshead
  • Wrexham v Macclesfield Town

EWB teams are in bold. Nice short trip for Dover on the opening day there! Jesus.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The season gets underway 24 hours from now when Myke's beleagured Leyton Orient face Sutton United at the scene of the infamous pie-gate last year. Confident for the season @MDK?

I also like this story I just read: Bognor Regis have given out 1500 free season tickets to local schools and sports clubs after getting promoted back to the NL South.

• Like 1

Getting out of this league is one of the toughest things to do in football. Always a competitive league with some strong sides in it. I wish Orient the best of luck, and I hope they can do it on the first attempt. I didn't enjoy Luton's five year spell there! 

Just now, DNB said:

Getting out of this league is one of the toughest things to do in football. Always a competitive league with some strong sides in it. I wish Orient the best of luck, and I hope they can do it on the first attempt. I didn't enjoy Luton's five year spell there! 

Cheers man. I cant see us going up straight away but we surely have a better chance of doing it now we have, hopefully, a sane owner. Remains to be seen...