WWE 2K19

Owen

- AJ Styles will apparently be the cover Superstar for WWE 2K19, while Ronda Rousey will be the pre-order bonus character, according to Pro Wrestling Sheet. A commercial for the game was shot this week with Styles and Ronda Rousey, as well as Rey Mysterio, who reportedly plays a big part in the spot. Mysterio has been rumored to be returning to WWE sooner than later, although he had been announced for All In this September. He most recently wrestled at NJPW Dominion last Saturday. Jeff Hardy is also reportedly in the commercial, as well as several other wrestlers.

The official announcement will take place on Monday at 11 am ET and will stream live on the WWE 2K channels on Twitch, YouTube and Facebook.

I was going to post this in the 2K18 thread but considering it's about the next game, it makes the most sense to create a new thread for it.

Rey Mysterio is a nice surprise, and Ronda Rousey being the pre-order bonus is a shame as there's no reason why she can't just be in the main game, but it'll probably work in getting more people to pre-order, and it'll be cool to play as her, too.

This year's roster has the potential to be absolutely incredible. Hopefully we can get triple threat tag matches back in the game too and recreate things like TLC matches with Dudleyz, Edge and Christian and the Hardy Boyz.

• Like 2

They need a really good single player mode to entice me. MyCareer is too repetitive and lifeless (just the real WWE, hardy-ha) to be much fun, and Universe Mode always seems to have been too buggy to get into. It's amazing to me that this series hasn't had a good branching Season Mode since Here Comes The Pain in 2004, and even the Showcase Mode has gone now. The last few WWE games have had great rosters and plenty of match types, but they seem so lifeless.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

They need a really good single player mode to entice me. MyCareer is too repetitive and lifeless (just the real WWE, hardy-ha) to be much fun, and Universe Mode always seems to have been too buggy to get into. It's amazing to me that this series hasn't had a good branching Season Mode since Here Comes The Pain in 2004, and even the Showcase Mode has gone now. The last few WWE games have had great rosters and plenty of match types, but they seem so lifeless.

Yeah, that's very true. I find that the roster is always enough to draw me in to actually buying the game, and then I probably play it only 4 or 5 times and then never touch it again. The roster alone is never enough to keep me playing it, so I just get suckered in and essentially waste my money, really.

• Like 2

I don't think it'll be good again until they entirely rework the engine. I would've played the hell out of MyCareer as repetitive as it was if things loaded in any kind of a sensical way.

I was hopeful before - but it turned out to be for nothing. I guess they deemed what they got out of the WWE purchase was enough, because at least they got NBA2K to a playable point before they cashed in on it as hard as they are likely going to push with the WWE franchise starting this year.

I only bought 18 because I haven't had a new wrestling game in years but unless they vastly improve the two main modes and bug fix a ton I don't think I'll get this one.

I skipped 17 and 18 and didn't end up playing 15 or 16 at all. I'm fair certain I got my money's worth. I'll get them eventually but just for the sake of having them. I'll wait for more details on 19 before deciding.

15 hours ago, =BK= said:

I only bought 18 because I haven't had a new wrestling game in years but unless they vastly improve the two main modes and bug fix a ton I don't think I'll get this one.

Same, it's not like there are a ton more new additions to the roster that make me feel like I need the game. 

I mean, I can get a good Earthquake vs. Vader match in my current game so the fuck do I need a new version of the same shit? 

I don’t know what it is, but ever since the jump to the current generation of consoles the games seem to have gone backwards. I got a fair chunk of play out of 2k14 - no game since has come close to being a similar time sink. Hell I didn’t even bother finishing Career mode for this year’s game, which is a first for me.

Ronda being a “preorder bonus” (only to probably be released later on for 10 dollars or something) just screams cash grab. If they’re going to do that they should at least make it interesting - like I don’t know, you preorder the game and immediately unlock big head mode or something. That’d be fun.

• Like 1

AJ Styles unveiled as WWE 2K19 cover Superstar

2K unveiled The Phenomenal One as the WWE 2K19 cover Superstar and introduced a brand-new challenge that could make someone $1 million richer.

WWE 2K19 now has a Phenomenal cover Superstar and a path to WWE video game immortality.

2K has named AJ Styles as the cover Superstar of the upcoming edition of the WWE video game franchise. The world-renowned video game publisher unveiled its choice and other details about WWE 2K19, most notably the debut of the Million Dollar Challenge, during a press conference today.

Styles, the two-time WWE Champion who successfully retained his title at Money in the Bank 2018, attended 2K's press conference. He expressed excitement and gratitude at being chosen for 2K's highest honor.

"As a hardcore gamer and ambassador of everything it means to 'Never Say Never' in both my professional and personal life, it is a dream come true to be selected as the WWE 2K19 cover Superstar," he said.

The Phenomenal One joins an elite group of grapplers who previously served as the face of the WWE 2K franchise. 2K's past choices for the coveted role include "Stone Cold" Steve Austin, The Rock, John Cena, Brock Lesnar and Seth Rollins, who graced the cover of last year's game.

In addition to its cover Superstar selection, 2K introduced the WWE 2K19 Million Dollar Challenge. This competition, introduced by Styles during the press conference, will put players on a path to facing The Phenomenal One for a chance to win $1 million.

To participate in the WWE 2K19 Million Dollar Challenge, eligible players must accomplish four tasks:

* Players must beat a to-be-announced new mode in the game.
* Then, players can submit a promotional video proving they can beat AJ Styles in WWE 2K19.
* From there, four semifinalists will be selected for a semifinal round of competition.
* One player will then earn the chance to compete against AJ Styles one-on-one in WWE 2K19. The prize? One million dollars.

2K will announce more details about the WWE 2K19 Million Dollar Challenge in the months to come. For complete rules including eligbility requirements, please visit: wwe.2k.com/milliondollarchallenge/rules

When they purchase their copy later this year, players will also be able to choose from multiple editions of WWE 2K19. 2K introduced multiple premium editions of this year's game, which include:

* The WWE 2K19 Deluxe Edition, which contains a copy of the game with special packaging and access to Season Pass, Pre-Order and Collector's Edition digital content.
* The WWE 2K19 Collector's Edition, which contains the same features as the Deluxe Edition plus exclusive and rare collectibles, as well as limited-edition WWE SuperCard content.

Additional details about what will be offered in each edition will be announced by 2K this summer.

WWE 2K19 is not yet rated by the ESRB and is scheduled for worldwide release on Oct. 9, 2018.

Here's a novel idea.

Use a million fucking dollars to help make a fun game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Can't wait for the final to be some bibble spamming an irreversable exploit move sixty times in a row before finishing Styles off with a eight minute long unbreakable create-a-finisher.

• Like 6

Coming back to it - this shit has me more pissed than I thought it would.

The pattern has been consistent for a few years now - I said before, I really had hope that they could do something but it's even more stagnant than what the previous publishers had before the switchover. The game comes out full of bugs, and they have basically until the time that DLC stops coming out to patch it out before that's it and tough shit on anything left standing. Look at that absolutely terrible Switch port, loading issues across the board on all the platforms and everything that'll never get fixed because it's on to the next thing, the clear move to easing people into microtransactions and the online focus. How terribly off can you be when you look at it?

When has focusing on multiplayer in a WWE game ever been a good idea? Do you know how rare a fair match of a WWE game is online? Of course people want to win so they're going to use every move, every animation exploit, every tactic to pick up the win - and I don't really blame them. There's nothing stopping them and no reason not to.

And I know you could say 'well that million dollars, it was never going to end up going towards the game - that's a different pool of money' and true or not - if someone has the money to put towards this game, at least make it look like you are actually trying this year.

What keeps me playing 2k18 still, to this day, is my imagination. Yeah, the game has it's flaws, but many do and they are still enjoyable. I strictly play Universe mode. Create or download Championships or create new versions of established titles, create gimmicks, etc.

One thing I am hoping for in 2k19 is more 205 Live and NXT wrestlers. I am fine without legends or five Stings and four Takers. Also, Triple Threat and Fatal Four-Way Tag matches need to be in. Plus, Five and Six Pack Challenge matches where you can leave the ring, same with 8-man matches. Give us the ability to leave the ring.

Oh, and a GM Mode ala the level of detail as in TEW16, but that is a pipe dream.

Although I know it may be somewhat unavoidable, but the thing that stops me playing with created content is the load times. If I want to play a one-on-one match with two CAW's in a created arena, you sit there for what seems forever in the loading screen.

• Like 1