UEFA Champions League 2018/19

Lineker

He doesn't really though, and he does all those things whilst he's actually onside. The balls bobbling around the area, both Ajax players are trying to get to the ball in the first instance when they're both onside and he only becomes offside when the header on goal happens at which point Courtois has absolutely no chance. There's been plenty of similar goals correctly given in play, I can recall a Scott Parker one that actually went between his legs. There's only one Real player vaguely appealling and he certainly isn't asking for an offside.

The only way this "Offside doesn't need to be a clear and obvious error" idea can work is if we go back to the black and white old rule with no concept of active and second phase at, because this one's debatable as fuck.

Had it been disallowed on their field I'd have called it harsh, to spend a minute looking for that is so far away from the spirit of the current offside rule (not to mention the reason VAR was brought in in the first place) it's ludicrous. They'd probably have ruled out that Tiote banger twice...

Edited by Colly

Just now, Liam Mk2 said:

It's funny that VAR is going to create even more talking points than before.

Football is not ready for it. Should probably just bin the whole idea off. 

See I don't agree with this. I think it's a good idea, but the reasons for using it need to be clear, they need to accept that sometimes even with multiple angles they won't have a better idea than the ref on the field (That FA Cup one the other week), and they need to remember that it's not a foolproof magic system as it's still just more refs with a time limit making the call. Fans are actually willing to accept a bad marginal decision on the field, VAR was supposed to come in for glaring errors, to have a minute wasted for another glaring error (that Harry Kane one where he was miles offside and won a penalty) is unacceptable.

Everyone knows UEFA are in Madrid's back pocket. 

Its why Ramos was allowed to judo throw Salah and allowed to give Karius a brain injury and get away with it, so I'm not surprised VAR was rigged last nighy :shifty:

--------------

In all seriousness, I'm in agreement with @Colly, I think it needs to be accepted that VAR isn't going to magically fix decisions. End of the day it's still humans with a with more time and the benefit of technology making decisions and there will be instances of human error. I can accept human error. What can't be accepted is human error when it's obviously wrong. It's all still down to interpretations. 

I can accept when marginal decisions go against say when Liverpool are playing. When it's obviously incorrect it's different. You accept them when they go in your favour because people are fickle when it comes to people they support. 

I think if they want to implement VAR they need to either add screens to grounds to show fans in the stadium what is going on or being shown. I went the FA Cup game against West Brom last season and had no idea what was happening, when VAR was being checked or why time wasn't added on when it took ages for decisions to be made.... either screens or the very least just microphone refs up. 

Honestly, I think that goal should be ruled out. For impeding the goalkeeper. Courtois probably isn't getting to the header anyway but that isn't the point, the Ajax player does step himself across Courtois' path and that is a foul. If it's been given for offside then I don't agree with that, but I think it is a foul.

And I'm certainly not pro-Real, I can't stand them.

I agree that there needs to be better clarity with VAR and the wishy-washy way it has been implemented so far isn't helping anything. I also find it ridiculous that the FA has only select games on VAR in each round of the FA Cup. Hardly a fair competition as we saw with Millwall's handball goal against Everton in the last round which, had it occurred at Goodison, would've been eligible for a VAR review.

He steps across the goalkeeper, he seems to intentionally attempt to block his path. How well he does it, and whether or not TC can actually get to Tagliafico's header on goal, is besides the point.

The very fact we are having such a debate over it though, tells me the initial ruling on the pitch should have stood. For me, VAR needs a clearer set of rules as to what constitutes the video refs being able to overturn the on-field decision.

• Like 1

Don't know if I'm a big fan of the Champions League Twitter account tweeting LOOK WE ARE RIGHT LOOK AT THIS. Wouldn't imagine they would ever come out if there was a clearly wrong decision made and say anything about it 

30 minutes ago, Adam said:

He steps across the goalkeeper, he seems to intentionally attempt to block his path. How well he does it, and whether or not TC can actually get to Tagliafico's header on goal, is besides the point.

The very fact we are having such a debate over it though, tells me the initial ruling on the pitch should have stood. For me, VAR needs a clearer set of rules as to what constitutes the video refs being able to overturn the on-field decision.

Do you not think he's going for the ball then stops when his team mate goes for the header? He doesn't have to move out of the way of the keeper, and he's onside when he's moving around. At the point he becomes offside all he's doing is standing close to the keeper.

Bayern are weird. I can't tell if they were shite or decent. Thought they defended well but got lucky at the same time. We didn't really have many great chances but we should have scored from one of the half chances. 

The midfield 3 were the best players for us today. Can't fault any of them. They all played well 

I'll take a draw and a cleansheet. Take away the away goal advantage for them and hopefully score and it puts us in the driving seat. 

I think both sides were good but not great.

Bayern are well aware that Liverpool could tear them to ribbons because they seem to only have 2 players who can run. At one point near the end of the game I am certain Lewandowski just fell over. 

I hate Jake Humphrey. Guys a prick. 

When the ref on BT said it was a handball by Otamendi, he was like two people in the studio don't agree then mutters who were both professional footballers. 

What insight does that give or what is gained by that? 

In this situation I agree with the (3) professional footballers, but still like I said I see no value in the "ref pundit" whatsoever. And yeah Jake Humphrey is fucking terrible. Is anything about BT Sport good?