UEFA Champions League 2018/19

Lineker

56 minutes ago, Adam said:

Also, Jesse Lingard is likeable? Since when?

He likes to have fun and mess about. Its football, its supposed to be enjoyed. Like Dele and his stupid handshakes. Yeah, they are stupid but they are fun.

• Like 2

Tbf in regards to likeability, Soljskaer is straight from Hobbiton and not many people dislike hobbits. Ole running around Carrington asking for second breakfast the cheeky little scamp

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Adam said:

I don't really think it was a penalty but I understand why it was given.

Do you understand why it was given as a correction to a 'clear and obvious' error though? This for me feels like VAR doing things it wasnt supposed to again.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, MDK said:

He likes to have fun and mess about. Its football, its supposed to be enjoyed. Like Dele and his stupid handshakes. Yeah, they are stupid but they are fun.

Nothing wrong with that, and I think he's a great player. The way players like him and Pogba are just rubs me the wrong way a bit, the wrong side of cocky. Now Juan Mata, that's a likeable fella. I do love Rashford too to be fair.

16 minutes ago, Colly said:

Do you understand why it was given as a correction to a 'clear and obvious' error though? This for me feels like VAR doing things it wasnt supposed to again.

I think I agree with you here. Porto went through due to a VAR-awarded penalty last night too. There's too many kinks in it at the moment so it's somewhat annoying they just rushed it into existence at the very top level of competition.

The thing that throws me about it is, have the laws of the game changed? Isn't it supposed to be 'deliberate' handball that causes a free-kick/peno? 

2 hours ago, DFF said:

The thing that throws me about it is, have the laws of the game changed? Isn't it supposed to be 'deliberate' handball that causes a free-kick/peno? 

According to IFAB something like 80% of handball calls are because the player "gains a material advantage" rather than it being deliberate - it's an issue with how the law is written, the word 'deliberate' should never have been in there imo - and how UEFA and FIFA are applying it this season.

Hopefully along with IFAB's changes to attacking handballs, we'll get some clarity on defensive handballs as well.

They already said deliberate is being removed, and the "making yourself bigger/wider" term will be used instead.

The "clear and obvious" thing is always going to be open for interpretation too. Upon watching that back, I'm assuming the ref missed a "clear" handball in his eyes and overturned it.

ffs eric

Neuer always seems to drop a bollock in the big games. No need to go anywhere near Mane for the Liverpool goal. Great finish mind.

Javi Martinez is really good at breaking up play in the middle. Helps when passes are poor, but he's cutting them out well.