UEFA Champions League 2018/19

Lineker

You know full well no one means net spend when they quote these numbers. In that sense, he's not 'wrong'. :shifty: 

Not that this kind of dodgy comparison gets any less murky with net spend either. Is it a 'fairer' comparison to take into account that one team had a Philippe Coutinho sitting in their squad from five years prior and managed to find a Barcelona full of Neymar money to spend on him, and the other team didn't?

Or another alternative measure, "their first eleven cost £Xm and the other's only cost £Ym". When a player of a certain level can be worth £20m in the market one year, £30m the next, then £50m and fuck knows from there, the total cost of any set of players in top-level clubs can say more about *when* they were signed than anything else.

tl;dr: football finance stats are usually bollocks

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah I definitely see a positive result for Spurs. And frankly, I think they need to win the first leg if they're going to make it through.

Managed an unlikely hour's kip earlier so I'll stay up for it tonight. Hoping it's a good game. First leg's can sometimes be a bit boring but I can't see it with these teams, especially in the new stadium.

Doing ok. Young is completely past it as a starting RB though. Barca have looked dodgy at the back and on 3 occasions (two happened within a few seconds of one another) he's wasted chances to put quality into the box. That's what we lack, the quality to hurt sides when they make mistakes. Not enough of it in the team.

Barca will be better 2nd half and will create chances, so any opportunity we do get needs to be converted I think.

To re-iterate my point about Young, rubbish 2nd half again.

Tony came on, drove forward 3v2, immediately went wide to Young who played the worst low cross in the history of football ever into the defender 5 yards away. Fucking disgraceful going forward he is.

Still in the tie at least. Fancy us to score out there, but they'll be much better and could easily be out of sight by HT.