NBA 2018-2019 Season

Pooker

7 minutes ago, Benjamin said:

The weird part is how surprising he did it, because I'm sure if he had just used his balls and played his heart out last season, still with the intent to go to LA, we'd probably be a lot annoyed at the way he wants to go now. 

Hell, he'd only be 28 next season! That's perfect, going into his prime athletic peak! Fucking go to your hometown then and win a bunch of championships with Lavar and Kuz and whoever, you weirdo! What's the rush right now, after 6 years in Texas? That injury by Zaza really scarred you so much you think you won't play another 5-6 years at your peak?

Yeah the weirdest thing is that in 12 months Kawhi has gone to respected reserved player who works hard and keeps his nose clean and his head straight to one of the most despised guys not named Kevin Durant or even LeBron James. It's crazy, because before this season nothing seemed wrong, the Spurs were fully content in working with him to get him back at 100%.

But something seemed to have changed, whether that's the people around him being toxic and poisoning his mind, or something really bad happening in the front office that completely soured him to such an extent that he's literally dissapearing from the limelight to sit out his contract. It's like a complete 180 in what people expected from Kawhi, it's like he's a completely different person, or perhaps his true colours are bleeding through.

Either way, It's crazy that this is happening in San Antontio too, because if there's one franchise that has always done good honest business without any bullshit, it's Buford and Pop. They've never been people to lie or bullshit their players, hard but fair, but never cruel like many other front offices can become when business is concerned.

I really want to know what happened, but I got a suspicion that it's going to be something really fucking dumb and ridiculous. Because what can make someone decide to complete burn a franchise that gave him a chance where others didn't and started the process of building a team around him when he showed his potential.

2 minutes ago, Ms. Canadian Destroyer said:

I'm so sad for Demar. He was the first player to resign with us. He didn't even meet with other teams. He loved the franchise and he loved the city. This is going to make it super hard to sign anybody else in the future.

Again, i've said it earlier. This is insulting to Demar but also the entire fanbase of the Raptors franchise. A player who snubbed his hometown Lakers in free agency and immediately went to strike a deal with the Raptors because it was the only place he wanted to be. To just throw at the Spurs for a gamble that I don't see paying off. It's a stab in the back for fans and the franchise, two steps back when Toronto had finally become a team that had shaken off its stigma as a basketball deadzone.

As a Mavs fan, this to me would equate to trading away Dirk Nowitzki in his prime for Allen Iverson or something insane like that. You got a player that's pledged his career to a team, who is straight up performing to elite standards, you also promise to not trade him a few weeks back, and then still renege on those promises to throw him away for a Kawhi that doesn't want to be in Toronto anyways.

I can fully see the Raptors fanbase straight up revolting at this business decision, if not this year then certainly next summer if Kawhi decides to pack his bags and leave the Raptors with no star player, no respect, and all players knowing that the Raptors Front Office don't even practice loyalty to healthy star players.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ms. Canadian Destroyer said:

I mean, the only thing that keeps me optimistic is that I really like Masai. 

I mean, I did too, then he fired Casey and I got a little annoyed by him, and now this? The only thing I can think of from a Raptors perspective is that they think with LeBron out west now, they can somehow squeeze through the tiny ass window that the Celtics / 76ers might leave them and end up in the finals. 

Like, I like the Raps, I like Toronto it seems like a freaking awesome city and and an awesome fanbase, but I really can't see how they can win anything in just a year. Feel for Lowry, too, that bromance he and DeRozan had was one of the best basketball had. 

I really want to know what happened, but I got a suspicion that it's going to be something really fucking dumb and ridiculous. Because what can make someone decide to complete burn a franchise that gave him a chance where others didn't and started the process of building a team around him when he showed his potential.

I can only assume that the meeting or whatever that the team had with him made Kawhi realize he doesn't want to be THE star on a team and have so much pressure on one guy. Maybe that's why LeBron and LA looks so delightful to him now. Throw in some other guy (Lillard, but I highly, highly doubt it) and he can be the third in another big three and be the Bosh of the group.

Or maybe guys like Tony and Bowen calling him out hurt his feelings or some bullshit. Usually if it's something more low key we'd have heard about it.

• Like 1

Kawhi is just so freaking weird, if he sits out the year again, that'll be such bullshit. Is his uncle as weird as he is? Because his uncle is his agent right? This is truly some of the weirdest shit I've seen since fully following the NBA.

The Raptors office sucks. They owed Demar way more than this. Even just the courtesy of not lying to him and telling him they wouldn't trade him. I can see that they needed to shake the team up and trading Demar was probably the way to do it but they are just so shady now. I wouldn't trust them if I was a Free Agent

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Chiksrara Special said:

The Raptors office sucks. They owed Demar way more than this. Even just the courtesy of not lying to him and telling him they wouldn't trade him. I can see that they needed to shake the team up and trading Demar was probably the way to do it but they are just so shady now. I wouldn't trust them if I was a Free Agent

It really sucks for DeMar, he'll drop 50 on the raptors next season

I have to say, as a Wizards fan, if the cost of Leonard was just DeRozan I wish we would have sent Beal and Porter's terrible contract to SA for him or something. Wall, Leonard, Howard? I like it. I think in this incredibly small window in the East before Boston and Philadelphia trade the conference back and forth for 5 years that might get us through to The Finals. I think DeRozan for Leonard in theory will do the same, but only if Leonard actually puts in the effort and doesn't just sit the year out to guarantee he's healthy for LA. But at this point, why would LA want him? Notorious "first to arrive, last to leave" LeBron James is going to be okay with that?

The most indications I've read about why the relationship between Leonard and the Spurs soured has to do with this injury. Leonard (or his people) felt it was misdiagnosed, then he went back to a wrist injury he had in 2014 and also felt that was misdiagnosed. Then you had Tony Parker talk shit about him. The entire thing just unraveled. And Leonard has people around him who obviously are tugging him in a lot of directions, but between the mistrust he now feels for Pop and Buford as well as the allure of LA and a mega-sized shoe deal there was only one place it was going.

I suspect Masai Ujiri is on the hot seat, that's the only way to explain firing Casey and now this. He's been given a "Finals or bust" ultimatum and is doing dumb things to make it happen. When I heard the trade talks I assumed Lowry was the guy going to SA, and that made sense. DeRozan is just a gutting decision from a fan standpoint. He wanted to make Toronto a basketball town, and the crazy thing is that it was working. From what I've read there's a huge wave of young kids the GTA who don't care about the Leafs or Jays but love the Raptors. You need to ride that out! Titles don't matter, you can create a generation of lifelong fans and as they get older finally bring them a title. Getting rid of DeRozan for a Kawhi who will give zero effort and leave after a year is just terrible for that.

And this is why, as a player, you should never just blindly trust your front office, regardless of what you've done for them and what they've done for you. At the end of the day, Masai has to worry about his and his staff's jobs more than a guy who has a fully guaranteed 9 figure contract. It does suck for DeMar and anybody attached to him in the city of Toronto but that's how the business works. It can be shitty at times but I also think it's important to recognize that there are people on the other side as well. 

If you didn't think Toronto would refrain from shooting their own foot to get a name at the three, allow me to mention the name DeMarre Carroll.

Don't be surprised if the Melo to Atlanta trade results in neither person playing for their new team.  This may be a salary dump from both sides when all is said and done.

10 hours ago, livid said:

And this is why, as a player, you should never just blindly trust your front office, regardless of what you've done for them and what they've done for you. At the end of the day, Masai has to worry about his and his staff's jobs more than a guy who has a fully guaranteed 9 figure contract. It does suck for DeMar and anybody attached to him in the city of Toronto but that's how the business works. It can be shitty at times but I also think it's important to recognize that there are people on the other side as well. 

I'm totally fine with that, I don't really feel bad for these multi-millionaires the way I do for the people that work the day in and day out stuff for teams. That said, I do think it was really shitty for the front office of Toronto to lie to their star player who's helping to bring in that revenue about not trading him to go live in a different country, on the other side of the United States. A little earlier warning would be polite.