Do you still follow new music?

METALMAN

I'm really bad at keeping up with new music. I'm really bad at listening to music in general. Podcasts tend to be my listening for running, whilst I'm often writing or watching television. I have attempted to keep up at times, but I often just retreat back to what I know.

I know new music and I am always looking for new stuff, but I couldn’t tell you who the hot mainstream acts are. 

I’m probably very much like Malenko in his description (shocking). I love the streaming services, I’ve found so much stuff via “similar artists”. I always like to see opening bands hoping one of them might be really good. 

There is also finding stuff that is new to me. Stuff that was released years ago but I haven’t heard. 

Yeah, I tend to listen to one album by an artist obsessively for a while before moving on to another.  So, there's so much new music out there to me.  Like, pretty sure I've heard Tom Waits' Rain Dogs a hundred times but haven't listened to a single other album from him.  So, there's that, music that's new to me.

Then I also like to pay attention to new-new music, mostly in punk and rap as that's where my interests are mostly now.  It also helps having friends in bands, I can always look into the people they're playing with if they seem cool.

And like Puke said, I love being there when shows start, never missing opening acts, because you never know when you'll see a fucking awesome band.  Like, I remember when I saw Titus Andronicus open for Los Campesinos on one of LC's first US tours.  I don't know if their first album was even out yet, but the show was close enough to their ancestral homeland of New Jersey that a bunch of their friends/fans came down (I think it was their first night on the tour) and it was a great time.

I don't listen to music radio (I listen to Radio 4 'cos I am old) so don't discover that way. I also don't have Spotify or anything like that.

However, as I am in a band myself I hear a lot of bands at gigs (some great, some forgettable, some poor) and take recommendations from those who we gig with that I trust.

Sometimes I vanish down youtube rabbit holes, following recommended links.

So overall it's kind of organic but I've been introduced to some brilliant bands by folk I trust. Often this is pretty up to date but is quite genre-specific as opposed to widely known bands. I couldn't hum a single Biffy Clyro sing for example.

I've found myself listening to a lot of latin music ever since I started dancing so things like salsa, bachata, kizomba and merengue music are still relatively new to me. In terms of my previous tastes I've been retreating more into what I know and enjoy ever since I bought a record player as I'm trying to collect some of my favourites on vinyl now.

One thing I do find Spotify helps with is listening to local bands, whenever there's a mini festival or someone I read about in the free papers they've usually got 3 or 4 songs online which I'll mix into some playlists. Miles easier than having to hunt down physical copies from somewhere. Did I mention that Mouses are brilliant? I have and will continue to do so... 

• Like 2

I keep telling our guitarist/band "leader" that we should go onto Spotify just because it makes us more widely listenable, but he's very particular about the value of music etc etc. Which is fine....but we've covered album costs with our sales and I'd rather more people could actually listen to us more easily.
Like, personally I don't use Spotify and I think it really affects the money that bands CAN make, but it's not like we're making a living from it at this point.

On 10/07/2018 at 15:41, ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster said:

I keep telling our guitarist/band "leader" that we should go onto Spotify just because it makes us more widely listenable, but he's very particular about the value of music etc etc. Which is fine....but we've covered album costs with our sales and I'd rather more people could actually listen to us more easily.
 Like, personally I don't use Spotify and I think it really affects the money that bands CAN make, but it's not like we're making a living from it at this point.

what about something like bandcamp (if you aren't already on there)?

On 05/07/2018 at 07:15, Gazzlory Hunter said:

That's the fifteen biggest selling metal albums of 2018 so far, based on physical copies sold. So the biggest selling album in 2018 was released in 2016, just outside this list are Godsmack and Sevendust and in terms of 'new' bands, fucking hell...

I question how "metal" and "rock" are separated because I'm surprised The Pretty Reckless aren't up there.

9 hours ago, =BK= said:

I question how "metal" and "rock" are separated because I'm surprised The Pretty Reckless aren't up there.

Probably the fact that their last album, released in 2016, hasn't sold at least 49k copies this year.

• 2 weeks later...

It could be because I make music myself, but I'm constantly looking for new stuff. Most of my searching is done by looking through whatever genres I'm interested in's tags on bandcamp and sorting by new. There's a lot of garbage, but for every 10 fails there's a great one that stands out even more.