Spyro Reignited Trilogy out November 13th

Hellraiser

I'm opening a topic for this because I think these games deserve it:
After the success of the Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy (remasters of the original trilogy of Crahs Bandicoot games) Activision decided to reactive another old franchise: Spyro the Dragon! On September 21st Activision will release Spyro Reignited Trilogy for Xbox One and Playstation 4. The game will consist of remastered version of the original 3 Spyro games Spyro the Dragon, Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage (also known as Gateway to Glimmer in Australia and Europe) and Spyro: Year Of The Dragon. The developement was handled by game studio Toys for Bob (who provided developement support for the PS4 version of the Crash Bandicoot trilogy and ported the game to the Switch).

Source: IGN.com

he original 3 games were developed by Insomniac for the original Playstation and released between 1998 and 2000. Insomniac decided to step away from the series to focus on the developement of the first game of their new series Ratchet & Clank. Universal Studios, who owned the Spyro IP, decided to outsource the developement of the next installment to the studios Check Six Games and Equinoxe Digital Entertainment. Spyro: Enter The Dragonfly was released on the PS2 and Gamecube in November of 2002 to mixed-to-negative reviews. The next game in the series Spyro: A Hero's Tail was developed by a British developer named Eurocom (they developed the Duke Nukem games on the N64 as well as some movie licence games) and released 2 years later in November of 2004. While it received better reviews than it's predecessor it was still nowhere near as good as the games of the original trilogy. After that the decision was made to reboot the franchise entirely. A new trilogy of games (named The Legend Of Spyro Trilogy) were released between 2006 and 2008 again to mixed reviews. After that the franchise was pretty much abandoned. Spyro was introduced into the Skylanders universe in 2011 with the release of Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure. And that is where he remained until the remake trilogy was announced back in April.

I'm very much looking forward to this. How about you?

Edit: The game's release hass been pushed back to November 13th.

Edited by Hellraiser

I never played the original Spyro games, aside from the demo of the first one. With that said, this isn't a must-buy for me, but I'll listen out for the general reaction after it releases. Unlike Crash Bandicoot, I don't have the original games as a point of reference, so I'd probably be a lot more critical of how Spyro holds up to the standards of current games.

Already got my pre-order on.

These games were my childhood. Period. I remember I was annoyed for so long because Americans could get them on PS3, and Australia couldn't. And then the day they did, I got it, and had no regrets.

I will have no regrets this time either. Only it'll be much prettier.

When I was playing through the PS1 classics on my PS3 - I made it through all of the Crash games and while I appreciated them for what they were, I wasn't all that happy that I went back through them - there's just so much that didn't hold up to a modern gaming experience. I only got a bit into the first Spyro game, but it just worked - and it still felt relevant to a platformer today.

Add that to the fact that they're reworking them quite a bit more and I'm pretty pumped to pick it up too.

The reason I posted this so late is that I didn't recognize that this was a remake of the original 3 games when they first announced this. I only read the headline and somehow convinced myself that they were rebooting the game again like they did for the Legend Of Spyro trilogy. I'm more pumped for this than I'm for any other upcoming game. Loved the original trilogy as a kid. Can't wait to play them again with enhanced graphics and soundtrack!

• 2 weeks later...

News out yesterday. Games going to come with two different soundtracks. The original and a Reignited one. And both sound damn good!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ace said:

News out yesterday. Games going to come with two different soundtracks. The original and a Reignited one. And both sound damn good!

I wish they'd done that with Crash. I've listened to the new versions of the tracks, and I prefer the originals.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...