Introduce your favorite band with a single song.

=BK=

Simple concept based on a thought I had listening to music. If you wanted to introduce one of your favorite bands to somebody but they only have time for one song at the moment what song would it be? What song do you think captures the band's appeal?

For me, my favorite band is The Birthday Massacre. I wouldn't actually use the song I was introduced to years ago but instead I'd use this.

This one in particular because it does have some heavy instrumentation but is still dreamy sounding and it doesn't have Chibi trying her occasional screamy/screechy vocals and just sticks to her normal pretty singing . I think wherever you go from here won't be too shocking either way, be the next song a lighter one or heavier one.

This one is a very difficult decision for me to make, but I would have to choose "When the Tigers Broke Free" by Pink Floyd (even though any Floydian will recognize The Final Cut is technically a Roger Waters' solo album, it is under the name Pink Floyd, so...

Hmm, okay, so, the Mountain Goats.  They have such a wide discography, its really hard to choose one song.  Do I go with something from their days of it just being John Darnielle, do I go with something newer that shows off the whole band, do I go with something from their wrestling-themed album because this is ewb, etc etc etc.

No.  I'm going with a slow acoustic song from the album where all the songs are named after bible verses because I think it really does a great job of embodying John's earnest storytelling style.

• Like 1

Meanwhile, I typically introduce people to the Mountain Goats with:

Tallahassee is my favorite album of theirs, and I love the storytelling throughout the album - telling the story of a couple on the brink of divorce, and their dysfunctional relationship. 

• Like 1

On 12/07/2018 at 18:28, TheWho87 said:

Recently I've fallen down a strange rabbit hole of Swedish metal and this is what I point to for others to join me.

Is it still 1986 in Sweden? 

*I fucking love it.

On 18/07/2018 at 23:02, =BK= said:

Is it still 1986 in Sweden?

*I fucking love it.

It's funny you say the 80's, considering they made this little number, also from their Wikipedia it says they are influenced by mostly 80's bands.

Spoiler

I got introduced to them and a few other Scandinavian bands though Matt2Hot Wrestling's Lucha Underground episode highlights, downside is he doesnt put in what the track is but you can usually find it googling the lyrics.

EDIT

There is definatly something in the Swedish water that makes everything go back the the 80's.

Edited by TheWho87

The Pack AD..... this was hard to narrow down to one song. But Deer is one of their older ones and the first song I heard them play in some little dive bar I used to hang out in. Had no idea who they were, didn't think much of them as they were setting up their set (they were one of two headliners that night) but they played this song and I bought their album on the spot.