That one song you like from an artist that is big but you know nothing else about.

Liam

Perhaps a little convoluted, but here are two that came up on my Spotify in the last few minutes.

I legitimately don't think I could name another song by either band, although I know they've both been kicking around for years. Not sure how I came across the latter, but the first one was a music video on a Kerrang VHS of all things.

So yeah, songs that you have stumbled upon by big artists, yet you probably couldn't pick out anything else they did from a line up.

6 minutes ago, Jerazil said:

Quickest example I could think of, I don't understand why they've suddenly had a resurgence and getting any sort of praise when this is literally the only song I've ever heard by them and it was shite live.

I slightly altered the title. Don't know if this one still stands.

1 minute ago, Cloud Was A Racecar Driver said:

I would urge you to listen to that entire album that "Melancholy" is on, @Liam. Banger of an album. 

The thing is...I think I own it.

I just have also owned a lot of albums I've not spent a lot of time listening to.

1 hour ago, Jerazil said:

Okay then, to change my contribution:

Genuinely can't name another KISS song.

I was actually thinking of KISS too, but with 'Rock and Roll All Nite' instead. :P

I realise I somewhat vaguely knew of Crazy Nights, too, both of which from Tony Hawk's Underground, I'm sure.

3 hours ago, Jerazil said:

Quickest example I could think of, I don't understand why they've suddenly had a resurgence and getting any sort of praise when this is literally the only song I've ever heard by them and it was shite live.

The resurgence of at the drive-in makes sense. They broke up 15 years ago (Sparta and Mars volta were playing while atdi was gone) and now they're back. I do understand it doesn't make sense to you if you don't like them and consider them to be shite but they were pretty big back then and one of the biggest post hardcore names in the late 90s. All those who loved them back then (me included) were very happy to be able to see them again. That's why there are so many people happy they're playing again and released a new album 16 years later.

3 hours ago, Liam said:

Perhaps a little convoluted, but here are two that came up on my Spotify in the last few minutes.

I legitimately don't think I could name another song by either band, although I know they've both been kicking around for years. Not sure how I came across the latter, but the first one was a music video on a Kerrang VHS of all things.

So yeah, songs that you have stumbled upon by big artists, yet you probably couldn't pick out anything else they did from a line up.

The first one is a song on my favourite album from Alkaline Trio. Didn't expect you to like it really.

Do one-hit wonders count?

Yes sorry for being silly. 😕

Anyway, I think the interesting thing about this is that, really, when you think about it, the overwhelming majority of singers or bands are only known to the overwhelming majority of people for one song.

Obviously, this might not work on us because I imagine we have a higher tendency to be music nerds, but to most people Alice Cooper might be no more than the guy who sang School's Out, Shirley Bassey no more than the woman who sang Goldfinger, David Bowie no more than the guy who did the Laughing Gnome.

Even those who have sold hundreds of millions of records might be reduced to a handful of songs. The Rolling Stones did Gimme Shelter and Jumping Jack Flash, maybe Tumbling Dice and Honky Tonk Woman, but what else? When Paul McCartney performs on a TV show they'll generally get him to trot out Hey Jude. Songs that were huge back in the day - Je veux tenir ta main, Band on the Run, even his career peak We All Stand Together are, to most people, forgotten.

To some, even an artist as versatile as Stevie Wonder may be no more than the guy who sang Superstition. Mozart the chap who wrote Alla Turca.

Edited by metalman