EWB-FPL Draft League II - 18/19 Season

Adam

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

There's a midweek round of games starting tomorrow so there is a deadline tomorrow too - make sure you aren't stung by it @Liam Mk2 @hugobomb @Moses Julep @DavidMarrio @Baddar @Gazz @9 to 5 @MDK @MexicoJack.

And I know I didn't do that update in the end last week, my bad. I actually got the highest score this week and won again, somehow. I'll try and do an update after the midweek round!

• Like 2

It's finally time for an Intermittent Update!

@Liam Mk2 holds firm at the top of the table as we head towards Christmas, 33 points and a healthy 6 point lead over the chasing pack, who are all jockeying for position behind. Two of Liam's four defeats for the season have actually come in the last few games but the lead remains strong, thanks in no small part to the form of Eden Hazard.

Behind him, half of the division is separated by only 3 points in the table after the League's first draw of the season took place in midweek. @hugobomb holds 2nd place on 27 points, with a squad that boasts FPL's top points earner of the season so far in Raheem Sterling. Having Lukaku and Murray up front isn't hurting either, but the two men to play out that first draw of the season sit just 2 points back in the standings now: @Gazz and @DavidMarrio. Gazz has had to do without Kevin De Bruyne, his 1st Round pick, for most of the season but has sussed out some gems in Raul Jimenez, James Maddison and a player I discarded after drafting, Riyad Mahrez. Add that to the power of being in a team named for the great Shola Ameobi (or is it his hapless brother Tomi!?) and you know Gazz will be staying in contention. David named his team after Mo Salah, but was unable to draft him despite having the 2nd pick in the summer. Harry Kane will do I suppose. It was three wins on the bounce before the midweek draw for David, moving nicely into contention to take a swipe at the leader, although it is Gazz who can try reeling Liam in this weekend when they face off.

Just ahead of middling form are @TCO and @Moses Julep, locked together on 24 points and both facing opponents above them in the standings this weekend (Gerard takes on Huw, Moses has David) that could see them close up the top half of the table even more so than it is now, or facilitate a gap opening up. Gerard has an ominous overall tally for the season of 666pts to date, but what does it all mean? The devil is in the details, as possessing a midfield of Salah, David Silva, Pogba and Sigurdsson is surely a recipe for success in any guise. Moses has five Spurs players among his squad and four of them are bang in form - Trippier, Dele, Lloris and Moura combining for 27 of his 30 points this week in a victory, but no less than six others are currently injured including star man Sergio Aguero.

The bottom four all face each other this week, as @9 to 5 looks to move into the top half. The head-to-head format is not being kind to Niner this year so far, as he has the 3rd highest overall points tally (649, only worse than league leader Liam and TCO) yet sits 7th in the table with more losses than wins. Indeed, successive defeats to Liam and myself look harsh on the face of it, with 50 and 46 points earned in those two games meaning he would have won both weeks if facing any other opponent. @MDK is level on points with him, benefitting greatly from the fact that Richarlison is classified as a midfielder in FPL despite mainly playing as Everton's centre forward.

He is defending his league position against myself ( @Adam es Tranquilo for my OCD's sake) this weekend, I sit 3 points behind and one off the bottom but, having lost the first five games of my defence of the title, I have rallied a bit thanks largely to Premier League leading scorer Pierre Aubameyang and beat Liam the other week, but did fall at the hands of Huw in midweek mainly due to the asinine decision to drop James Milner just before his biggest performance of the season.

@MexicoJack sits adrift in last place, 6 points and only two wins all season. The team name - Making Emile Of It - is perhaps appropriate in the circumstances. However, Sam rallied from a similar position last season to finish respectably in the pack and there is plenty of time left for that to happen again. It's a four-game losing streak at present, the last victory against me, but Moses only bested him by three points this week so it's hardly a lost cause.

There's your Mid-December summary for you, I will TRY to update things much more frequently from now on but I am obviously not great at living up to that promise at the moment. It seemed so much more motivating to do these write-ups every week when I was coasting away at the top of the table, funny that :lol:.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

10 days and 2 gameweeks later, and the gap is now 9 points as @Liam Mk2 surges ahead with victories over Gazz and Sam, thanks in no small part to Eden Hazard and Sadio Mane. The chasing pack have faded a bit, and it's @TCO who now sits in 2nd place after back-to-back wins over rivals Gazz and Huw, with Salomon Rondon bang in form which should please the Newcastle fan.

@DavidMarrio is now outright 3rd in the standings after winning last week before falling to myself this past weekend, with 28 points seeing him sit one solitary point ahead of three players with contrasting fortunes over the two gameweeks. @9 to 5 is 4th on Points Difference after successive victories over the bottom two, then @Moses Julep moves into 5th ahead of @hugobomb, who he beat this weekend.

@Gazz has slid from 2nd to 7th after two straight defeats, illustrating how tight the table has gotten behind Liam out front, but the return to fitness of Kevin De Bruyne will no doubt boost his fortunes in the coming weeks.

2 more wins are not enough to haul myself out of the bottom three, but the gap is gone above me and with 24 points I am now a mere 6 away from 2nd place, shout out to Felipe Anderson and Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang for their continuing good form. @MDK has two narrow losses since our last update and is down a place to 9th, but is still way ahead of poor @MexicoJack in last spot. Sam actually got the joint 2nd highest score in a barren gameweek for most this weekend, so is very unfortunate especially as he was against our runaway leader. It's 6 losses on the spin now but 4 of those have been by narrow margins and Gabriel Jesus netted twice this weekend to finally start justifying his high draft selection.

Heads up that there will be several gameweeks over the Christmas period so keep an eye on your teams through that, the next gameweek begins this Friday night and there is then a very quick turnaround with gameweeks on Boxing Day, which is next Wednesday and then there's a one day turnaround for the following Saturday 30th December. The table may have changed beyond recognition in another 10 days!

The gap is 11 points after a mad weekend in the Premier League, as @Liam Mk2 marched on with another victory, seeing off @hugobomb 48-33 courtesy of two surprise match winners: Milivojevic (10) for Palace at City, and Vardy (9) for Leicester at Chelsea. He didn't even need Barnes' 7pts off the bench! It has to be said, that this has been a terrific first half of the season for Liam after a brilliant Draft, he's only made two transfers* the whole year! Huw at least gets Goal of the Weekend for having Townsend, not that counts for anything :P.

@DavidMarrio has moved into 2nd place, overtaking @TCO after a very impressive 65-49 win, the highest score of ther week. TCO can count himself unlucky as that score would have beaten every other player bar our league leader, but that's how it goes sometimes! David has Van Dijk (15), Kane (15) and Pereyra (12) to thank for an excellent score, while the midfield delivered for TCO at least with Pogba (13), Salah (12) and Sigurdsson (7) all scoring. So it's Liam on 42 points, David behind him with 31, then TCO on 30 rounding out the top three.

@9 to 5 remains in 4th spot after a 32-32 draw with @Gazz, who has played out both draws in the league this season. Niner would have won this one had van Aanholt not got a yellow card of all things, whereas Gazz would've won had Riyad Mahrez not come on as a sub for Man City, as it would have meant earning 2pts from Calum Paterson instead of the 1 that Mahrez got. Very fine margins here! Gazz slides to 8th in the table, currently on a four game winless run into Christmas.

@Moses Julep remains in 5th spot, ahead of Hugo on Points Difference after going down 54-43 to me ( @Adam es Tranquilo). This week's top scoring player is Son Heung-min, notching 22 on his own, but as one of 5 Spurs players in this team the variety is perhaps not quite enough, with Southampton's Danny Ings (8) the only player other than Son to get more than 3pts this week for Moses. I am up a place above Gazz, into 7th and behind Moses and Hugo only on PD myself now. The revival continues thanks largely to David Brooks (15) and Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang (13) both bagging braces.

@MDK is in 9th but lost to bottom placed @MexicoJack, 38-28. That ends Sam's 6 game losing run and is just a third win of the season, he is now 12 behind Myke. Allison (9) his top scorer. Myke has clearly stopped paying attention, four of his starting XI didn't even play this week but neither did any of his subs.

*Do you remember who these two changes were, Liam? It's testament to how well you drafted, I've made 13 transfers attempting to fix a horrible draft, whereas others have done way more - Huw has made 37 and Gazz has made 18 for instance.

The next Gameweek is Boxing Day, so the deadline is the morning of and waiver deadline is Christmas morning. Second of three rounds in a week over this busy period.

Yet another quick deadline coming in - Tomorrow, New Year's Day at 11:30am so get your teams sorted now folks! Mercifully after this there's a week break for the FA Cup.

Here's how we all fared over the past two gameweeks...

Our leader @Liam Mk2 won his 6th game in a row, 58-53 over Moses on Boxing Day (very unlucky Moses, actually the top four points scorers played each other in this set of games) but saw his run halted in a 35-35 draw with @DavidMarrio yesterday. @Moses Julep unfortunately took a 40-point beating at the hands of 2nd placed @TCO this time around though, so it's now three straight losses for him.

TCO also beat me on Boxing Day, 57-52, to cement 2nd spot although there is a 10 point gap between 1st and 2nd now. @9 to 5 won both games, over David and Huw, and sits 3rd as a result. @hugobomb was also narrowly defeated in his other game, by Myke, and has slid to 8th place in the table just three points clear of @MDK, who was beaten by a resurgent @Gazz yesterday, for the latter's first win in 6 matches.

@MexicoJack remains bottom of the pile but did beat Gazz on Boxing Day before falling to me yesterday. I'm up to 5th and still on a pretty good run after that wretched start to the season!

Table is as follows:

blink-1Eto'o (Liam) - 46pts
Cacai Rafa (TCO) - 36pts
New Age Niners (Niner) - 34pts
ChickenTikkaMoSalah (DM) - 32pts
Stubbs' Scrubs (Adam) - 30pts
FC Ameobi (Gazz) - 29pts
Midtable Madness (Moses) - 27pts
Two Andy Gorams (Huw) - 27pts
MurderOnZidanesFloor (MDK) - 24pts
Making Emile of it (Sam) - 12pts

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We've had a week off following that very busy Christmas period but just to recap the last set of games...

@Liam Mk2 suffered a rare defeat at the top, bested by myself thanks largely to the goalscoring efforts of Marcus Rashford. @TCO picked up a narrow three-point victory against @9 to 5 to put some space between himself and the rest of the chasing pack, 7 points behind Liam and 4 ahead of @DavidMarrio, who moved ahead of Niner into 3rd place in the league with a win against @MexicoJack. Niner must rue that narrow defeat as well, he left van Aanholt's 12pt haul and Rudiger's 5pts on the bench, which would have given him a comfortable victory. I've nestled into 5th spot, just in the top half.

@Moses Julep and @hugobomb both stay within touching distance though after picking up respective wins over @MDK and @Gazz, Gazz falls behind the pair into 8th place whilst Myke is now cut adrift somewhat in 9th.

Table is as follows before this weekend's fixtures:

blink-1Eto'o (Liam) - 46pts
Cacai Rafa (TCO) - 39pts
ChickenTikkaMoSalah (DM) - 35pts
New Age Niners (Niner) - 34pts
Stubbs' Scrubs (Adam) - 33pts
Midtable Madness (Moses) - 30pts
Two Andy Gorams (Huw) - 30pts
FC Ameobi (Gazz) - 29pts
MurderOnZidanesFloor (MDK) - 24pts
Making Emile of it (Sam) - 12pts

Deadline tomorrow is 11:30am!

• 3 months later...

I know, I know. I've been super useless at updating this! Just been looking at my PayPal account and been reminded that two people are yet to put in their money for the pot - I *think* after a cursory look that those two are @9 to 5 and @hugobomb but let me know if I'm wrong. There's three people called David this year which has confused me a bit :P.

Either way, it's a two-horse race for that prize money now with @Liam Mk2 still out in front, 10 points clear of @TCO with only 5 games left. So, in theory the title can be won this weekend!

@Moses Julep is clear in third whilst Huw heads up the rest, just 6 points cover 4th to 9th place with @MexicoJack unfortunately cut adrift at the bottom.

Thanks everyone, and good luck to those still in the running for what will be a £100 prize pot!

• 5 weeks later...