2018 College Football thread

Lineker

• Admin

Football coach Urban Meyer was placed on administrative leave Wednesday by Ohio State, a stunning twist to his wildly successful tenure amid allegations he was aware of multiple instances of domestic abuse involving one of his former assistant coaches.

That assistant, former wide receivers coach Zach Smith, was accused of abuse by his ex-wife on several occasions, most recently in 2015. Meyer denied knowledge of that incident during an appearance at Big Ten Conference media days in July, though he said he was aware of a 2009 dispute between Smith and his ex-wife when he hired Smith in 2012.

"The University is conducting an investigation into these allegations," said a statement from the school. "During the inquiry, Urban Meyer will be on paid administrative leave. ... We are focused on supporting our players and on getting to the truth as expeditiously as possible."

Ryan Day, offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach, will serve as interim head coach during the investigation, the school said.

Meyer also released a statement: "Gene (Smith, the AD) and I agree that being on leave during this inquiry will facilitate its completion. This allows the team to conduct training camp with minimal distraction. I eagerly look forward to the resolution of this matter."

In a taped appearance for the website Stadium, Smith’s ex-wife, Courtney Smith, said she had told Meyer’s wife, Shelley, and Lindsey Voltolini, the wife of Ohio State’s director of football operations, about her ex-husband’s abusive behavior.

Among the correspondences between Smith and Shelley Meyer were photos showing bruises stemming from the 2015 incident.

At Big Ten media days, Meyer said members of the Ohio State staff had looked into the 2015 allegations, and that “there’s nothing.”

Meyer continued, “I don't know who creates a story like that."

Yet a text-message exchange between Smith and Voltolini obtained by former ESPN reporter Brett McMurphy implied that Meyer was aware of the allegations. “He (Urban) doesn’t know what to think,” reads one text message sent by Voltolini.

“I do believe he (Meyer) knew, but instead he chose to help the abuser and enable the abuser and believed whatever story Zach was telling everybody,” Smith said.

• Like 1

I've been watching Last Chance U on Netflix, so I am now all-knowing about everything to do with College football.

Mainly, those dudes are going to be so fucked when they don't make it as professionals.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Lowerdeck said:

Yahoo has a fantasy college football game now.

Anyone looking to play?

Absolutely.  My worry is when we would draft though, season is nearly upon us.

Lets get @Meacxico to play!