What is the worst season of a TV Show you've ever seen?

JasonM

My initial thought was "oh Christ, which season of Angel was it which had that twat Connor all over it?"...but it's been answered for me above by @Noah. Season 4.

Red Dwarf VII can't be a contender for the worst because worse seasons have come after it. For me, VII is about 40% great, 20% meh, 40% awful.

13 hours ago, Noah said:

I hated both 4th seasons of Buffy and Angel.

The concept of the Initiative in Buffy season 4 was good but horribly executed. As far as season 4 of Angel goes, fuck Connor and Jasmine.

The sad thing about Season 4 of Angel was that it wasn't that bad until those final few episodes. The Jasmine shit just ruined what had been a semi-decent season. I can't think of a series that I've watched where I've given up on it. It would have been Vampire Diaries Season 4 I believe it was, but then the completionist in me has gone back to finish it now that it's ended. I guess maybe One Tree Hill Season 6. I still haven't gone back and finished that show although I plan to.

• Like 1

god, man. Arrow season three just barely edges out Arrow season four. Both seasons are absolute disasters, but season three also has a gaping void where a villain should be because Arrowverse Ra's al Ghul is just unbelievably dull whereas I at least enjoy watching Neal McDonough chew scenery (but then, given how much drastically better Damien Darhk is in seasons two and three of Legends of Tomorrow it only shines a light on how bad Arrow was).

other contenders: Glee season four, The Office (US) season eight, probably other shows I'm blocking out of my memory entirely.

Thinking about it some more, seasons 3 & 4 of Prison Break. By the time the second season had wrapped up, there wasn’t much more of a story to tell, yet they decided to drag it out and repeat the same storylines. 

I always thought it should have ended at season 2, with the story simply being break out of prison and stay out of prison. Not break out, stay out, repeat x infinity. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Liam Mk2 said:

Thinking about it some more, seasons 3 & 4 of Prison Break. By the time the second season had wrapped up, there wasn’t much more of a story to tell, yet they decided to drag it out and repeat the same storylines. 

I always thought it should have ended at season 2, with the story simply being break out of prison and stay out of prison. Not break out, stay out, repeat x infinity. 

I could have written this. 100% agree. There are moments I like in seasons 3 and 4 but I found them so unnecessary. Season 2 last episode had such a weird ending.

William Fichtner made Season 2 so much more awesome. I'm not sure it would have been as good with another actor in that role. He brought the goods for that whole season. They kind of ruined his character in the third season but yeah...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, stokerino said:

My initial thought was "oh Christ, which season of Angel was it which had that twat Connor all over it?"...but it's been answered for me above by @Noah. Season 4.

Red Dwarf VII can't be a contender for the worst because worse seasons have come after it. For me, VII is about 40% great, 20% meh, 40% awful.

3 hours ago, The Banshee Fork said:

The sad thing about Season 4 of Angel was that it wasn't that bad until those final few episodes. The Jasmine shit just ruined what had been a semi-decent season. I can't think of a series that I've watched where I've given up on it. It would have been Vampire Diaries Season 4 I believe it was, but then the completionist in me has gone back to finish it now that it's ended. I guess maybe One Tree Hill Season 6. I still haven't gone back and finished that show although I plan to.

I vaguely remember a person behind the scenes talking about season 4 of Angel after the fact and it went something like

"You expect a few clunkers in every season, obviously not every episode is going to hit the mark but this season was quality all the way through."

10 hours ago, Ms. Canadian Destroyer said:

The S6 premier is the one with Lin Manuel Miranda right? That episode was so good. 

I will echo the final season of Dexter and S2 of Heroes. While not the worst seasons of stuff I've watched, both The Office and Smallville had huge drops in quality before having really really good final seasons. 

Yeah, that’s the episode. It’s incredible.

• Like 1

I agree with the above in regards to Dexter and Sons of Anarchy. Most others shows mentioned, I've not watched. I would like to add the Last season of Burn Notice and the Last Season of White Collar (Mostly due to it being short) And also Firefly. Was disappointed due to it being over-hyped.

13 hours ago, Noah said:

Sliders Season 5. Already had long since lost John Rhys-Davies and now no Jerry O'Connell?

I'm slogging my way through season 5 right now and man it's a tough one. No Jerry O'Connell (though a minor upside is that does mean losing his brother) and their replacements suuuuuuccck. Plus to make things worse said replacements are focus of more episodes than Remmy and Maggie early on in the season.😟

Oohhh...lets see now..

Seasons 3 and 4 of Arrow were just shit.  

Last few seasons of Sons of Anarchy, for reasons already mentioned.  

Seasons 6-10 of Supernatural.  S11 with the introduction of The Darkness and the following seasons have been good though

Season 1 of Agents of Shield.  It picked up at the end, but the first, say, 75% of it was just a boring slog.  They got their bad season out of the way early

Season 1 of Legends of Tomorrow.  Like Agents of Shield, it got the bad season out of the way early

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, hugobomb said:

I'm slogging my way through season 5 right now and man it's a tough one. No Jerry O'Connell (though a minor upside is that does mean losing his brother) and their replacements suuuuuuccck. Plus to make things worse said replacements are focus of more episodes than Remmy and Maggie early on in the season.😟

Jerry thought that when he left the show, that they'd keep his brother on and maybe he'd make the odd guest appearance. They preferred no Jerry at all than another season with his brother.:P

I'd make the argument with Angel that at least half of each series except the final one was terrible. Can't believe I sat down last year and watched 110 episodes of the most inconsistent, badly plotted shite I've ever seen. It's quite clear the showrunners had no idea what they wanted from the series tonally. They got scared whenever it went too dark and then suddenly all the characters acted like happy happy joy joy pratts for a couple of episodes before darkness again. Ugh.

For me, the worst series is 24 series 2. Never continued even though I hear season 5 especially is amazing (I loved season 1 too). They didn't have enough plot for 24 episodes so Jack Bauer would get delayed by the stupidest shit. Him getting caught up in a seatbelt did me in.

Kimmy Schmidt season 2 is also up there for having 30-40 minute episodes (a no no for a comedy imo) of nothing. Kimmy spends the season getting very slowly angry just so they can justify Phoebe from Friends appearing? Ya alright. 

Season 2 of Kimmy isn't a bad shout now that i think about it. I was pretty well riveted by season 1 and season 2 was just... there.

14 hours ago, stokerino said:

I'm sure that is the case but I've only seen odd episodes post series 7. I know one of the two writers left but it utterly forgot that it was supposed to be a traditional sitcom that just happened to be set in space, and turned into a daft sci-fi with some silly jokes. 

Something else I thought of; I completely gave up on Arrow, Flash and Supergirl at the same time (early-season 5 of Arrow). Arrow season 2 was excellent but after that every season followed the same plot of "previous season ends with Ollie realising he needs to trust his friends. New season starts and something happens that he keeps to himself so he loses all his team who eventually come back round when he realises he needs to trust them". I noticed Flash was following a similar sort of trend and so gave up on that and just dumped Supergirl as well. It was a shame because Flash and Supergirl both had great first seasons and then it just became the same thing and it became a slog.

Angel was excellent, however I'll agree that Season 4 started off incredibly, possibly on track to be the best season in Buffy/Angel and then it just switched. I'm not sure how much of it was the original plan or whether it was purely driven by Charisma Carpenter's pregnancy but it just killed all the hard work of the first half of the season and obviously ended Cordelia's role in the whole series as a result, which sucked because her and Angel's relationship was really well done up to that point.