The 2018/19 NHL Thread!

Ruki

5 minutes ago, Toe said:

Auston Matthews returns tonight against San Jose! 

...and I feel shitty because my first thought was "...and how long until he gets hurt again?"

I suck.

Matthews coming back will help me out greatly in my other fantasy league. Hopefully it also sparks the Leafs to a big win in San Jose tonight to keep the Flames in 1st in the Pacific Division.

2 hours ago, Toe said:

Auston Matthews returns tonight against San Jose! 

...and I feel shitty because my first thought was "...and how long until he gets hurt again?"

I suck.

You're not wrong. The past two years have sucked for him. I just wish they waited another game.... San Jose kinda hates us (ok, they hate Kadri), so this game is gonna be a feisty one I think. 

9 minutes ago, damsher hatfield said:

Matthews back, and Nylander presumably by sometime next week. I guess it's time for the Leafs to really start rolling then, no?

Matthews already has 2 points! 

When Nylander returns.... God help the rest of the league. 

I did read the Leafs were sending out last chance alerts to any trade partners. Makes sense. I guess they send the final offer to Nylander's team tomorrow and he presumably signs it.

My guess is a deal between 3 and 5 years that takes advantage of him signing it this late in the season to frontload the AAV. I read through Capfriendly that was possible.

The rumored deal (from someone who leaked the Ennis signing on Reddit) is 6 years, 7 mil. Signing at this point in the season would make his cap around 9 mil this year, and about 6.7 the rest. Which is perfect.

It's only December 1st, but the fact that both of my teams are legitimate threats at the tops of their conferences has me giddy as a school girl. Mike Smith has had two consecutive quality starts and William Nylander may be suiting up this week for the Leafs. If Smith can continue to play well (even if he can't get back to the gamebreaker level) and Rittich's great year keeps rolling, the Flames will be hard to beat down the stretch... and with Nylander hopefully re-joining an already dangerous Maple Leafs team, the East is going to be Toronto's for the losing.

I think this is the first time in a long time that I've been able to be this excited about my teams at this point in the season. Now, if only the Jays can surprise in the spring/summer and keep that momentum rolling for me, it's going to be a great 365 in my household.

Well 6 hours to go. Most of the reporting seems to think a deal is going to be signed, but Nylander's camp (rightfully) is holding out as long as possible in case there's a trade and he can then get the deal he actually wants. This whole saga has really exposed how flawed the current CBA is. There's going to be more Nylanders, as young players are extremely good and there's some light collusion going on where teams simply don't submit offer sheets on first-time RFAs. It can cost these players millions in career earnings (as it will for Nylander) as they basically get stuck being underpaid by their current team for a few years since the trade bounty is so high. It's extremely unfair and I'm waiting for a player to not blink and actually sit out a season.

Can't wait for the next lockout! Where the players inexplicably give up even more ground.

• Like 2

Nylander re-signs with the Leafs. $10 million cap hit this year. $6.7 for the remaining years. Not bad for the Leafs, who can stomach the larger hit this season and be in fairly good shape for the remainder. If the cap continues to rise, getting Matthews and Marner done should be easy, though Marner has to come in around Nylander's cap hit, and Matthews should be closer to $8-$10 per year.

Jake Gardiner will probably be available this July, and if the Leafs can replace him internally this season, it wouldn't surprise me if he's a trade deadline candidate for Cup run upgrades.

Yeah that deal works out perfectly for the Leafs. They'll easily keep Marner and Matthews long-term as well. And they don't have to revisit a Nylander contract for most of his prime. At which point you'd assume they might have found some cheaper in-house players to replace him with anyway.

Detroit is an eastern timezone team whereas Nashville is in the central timezone. That's why they brought Detroit over to the east.

Since Arizona might wind up moving to Houston anyway this is a proactive way to approach realignment. Seattle should be a good market and has a readymade rivalry with Vancouver, which is always good for business. I think the odds-on-favorite for team name is Metropolitans, which gets my vote. The Seattle Metropolitans were the first Stanley Cup champions not from Canada, and they also have unfinished business with the Canadiens after the 1919 final got halted thanks to influenza.

Crazy game in Columbus tonight.

Flames went up 1-0 early on a Gaudreau goal. Fun fact: The Flames are 8-0-1 when Johnny Hockey scores.

The Blue Jackets went ahead 4-1. Not all Rittich's fault, and there was only one goal really that I would put the blame on him for.

Bill Peters makes a goalie change to start the second period. Smith gives up one of the first shots he sees, but Calgary is now leading 6-5 with 2:40 left in the second. I may be a little behind watching on GameCenter, but this is insane.

honestly hope they go with Seattle Sockeyes because I love that 90% of Seattle's pro sports teams have alliterative names (except for the Reign, which is just a good pun, and the Mariners but we don't talk about the Mariners, who even are the Mariners) and that's a hell of a play-on-words team name. Metropolitans would be good too. Totems would be bullshit.

6 hours ago, GoGo Yubari said:

honestly hope they go with Seattle Sockeyes because I love that 90% of Seattle's pro sports teams have alliterative names (except for the Reign, which is just a good pun, and the Mariners but we don't talk about the Mariners, who even are the Mariners) and that's a hell of a play-on-words team name. Metropolitans would be good too. Totems would be bullshit.

Yeah I think they'd have a tough time selling Totems for obvious reasons.

Someone along the way was suggesting Kraken as a name which is like Toronto Raptors except the whole Kraken meme came and went while Jurassic Park is still inexplicably popular.