Sign in to follow this  
Ruki

The 2018/19 NHL Thread!

I'm hoping Kadri's out for the rest of this series.  That hit on DeBrusk was uncalled for, and it's a repeat offense now.

Interesting to see how we go from here. I thought before the playoffs that we do the best against Calgary of the six non-wildcard teams so now the team has to show if game 2 was a fluke or indication if we're in for a series.

3 hours ago, Plubby said:

Interesting to see how we go from here. I thought before the playoffs that we do the best against Calgary of the six non-wildcard teams so now the team has to show if game 2 was a fluke or indication if we're in for a series.

It's interesting that you thought Calgary was their best match up. Based on the season series, I would have thought otherwise.

The Flames weren't ready in game two for the pushback from the Avs, and it showed. When they got their shit together, it was more of what I was expecting and they looked good, but that slow start and inability to put more past Grubauer led us to overtime and a loss. Now I'm hoping that the Flames get the same boost for game three that Colorado saw for game two. Losing your first game of the playoffs can be a make or break moment, and Colorado showed that they weren't going to be content with just making the playoffs. Now it's Calgary's turn to show how bad they want it on Monday.

How about Mike Smith though, turning back the clock and playing his best hockey in years.

I had a feeling Tampa was going to bow out at some point, but I would have guessed ECF - not the first round.

I don't even know why you do that if you're Svechnikov. You're the young future of an entire franchise trying to prove what exactly? Ovechkin doesn't fight because he's too important to the team, you should go out there with the same mindset. His head smacked off the ice when he fell so I hope he's okay.

Also welcome to the NHL Cale Makar, scoring a goal in his debut. Love the rare instances of a guy going straight from his college team into the Stanley Cup playoffs. Hockey's the only sport where it happens.

Calgary really crapped the bed last night too. Letting Colorado get off 50+ shots is going to end badly no matter who is in goal. Smith didn't play poorly judging by the box score but there's only so much you can do when you're under a constant barrage all game.

• Like 1

The Flames had an awful game last night. Game two wasn't one they necessarily deserved to win, but they played well enough to keep it close. Last night, they stopped skating as soon as the two man advantage hit in the first period.

Going back to what I mentioned prior to the post-season, Bill Peters hasn't been juggling his lines enough to get something going. For tomorrow's game, I'd split everyone. Derek Ryan should center a top line of Gaudreau and Tkachuk... get Monahan working with Sam Bennett and Garnet Hathway... Jankowski can center James Neal and Elias Lindholm.. see if something works.

The only change made from game two to three was moving Andersson to the top pairing with Giordano... which blew my mind. Not that he doesn't deserve it, but more in the sense that, it's been more about needing to get guys going, as opposed to anything else, and keeping the same forward lines together, while mixing up two of the defense pairings, isn't really going to generate much spark to ignite the offense.

13 hours ago, damsher hatfield said:

I don't even know why you do that if you're Svechnikov. You're the young future of an entire franchise trying to prove what exactly? Ovechkin doesn't fight because he's too important to the team, you should go out there with the same mindset. His head smacked off the ice when he fell so I hope he's okay.

Also welcome to the NHL Cale Makar, scoring a goal in his debut. Love the rare instances of a guy going straight from his college team into the Stanley Cup playoffs. Hockey's the only sport where it happens.

Calgary really crapped the bed last night too. Letting Colorado get off 50+ shots is going to end badly no matter who is in goal. Smith didn't play poorly judging by the box score but there's only so much you can do when you're under a constant barrage all game.

Game worked out for the Canes after the fact though. Hopefully he isn't too hurt.

5 hours ago, Meacon said:

:lol: 

Remembered your post as I was watching it.

Columbus wins their first playoff series ever. They haven't been around for long but still. 

vyx09m9fhqs21.gif

• Like 2

I want nothing more than a Leafs vs Islanders conference final.

Obviously with the same result as our hockey pool :shifty:

Gonna put pajama boy to bed.

Flames played much better in game 4 than game 3, but at the same time, they're not playing anywhere near the level they did during the regular season. The only player matching or outplaying his regular season is Mike Smith. You could make an argument for Giordano and Bennett as well, but everyone else just isn't going like they can.

Now they're on the brink of elimination. Winning three in a row to take the series is going to be very difficult, but the Avs just won three in a row to put us in this spot, so it's not out of the realm of possibility.

The major thing I've noticed is that they're trying to be too pretty in the offensive zone. Grubauer has been every bit as good as Smith in this series, but the Flames miss too many chances by holding the puck too long, or passing instead of shooting. Coaches say it all the time, but just get the puck on net. Especially in the playoffs. Get the puck on net, cause havoc for the goalie, look for deflections and rebounds... and stop passing the puck when you have traffic and a lane to get the shot through. Just get it there.

Even if the Flames wind up losing this one, it's still been a great season, and with the lack of playoff experience on the roster coming in, it will be good for a lot of these young guys to know what it feels like. Most of the team that got swept by Anaheim last go around isn't here anymore, and maybe a disappointing exit is exactly what they need to really push them to step it up next season. That said, I'd love to see them make a series out of this, and love even more if the Flames can pull out the series win here. The skill is there, but the compete level has not been good enough.

Minor gripe time: TJ Brodie got called for a slash on Landeskog in the third period. Letter of the law? It was absolutely a penalty. Problem? They'd been letting it go all game, and if you measured that slash up to what Gaudreau's had to deal with in the first four games, it's not even top five in terms of severity. I know it's a human issue, but the officiating in the NHL this season has seemed less consistent than it has since the last major change to the rulebook. I'm not saying that a penalty in the regular season should be the same in the playoffs. The intensity ramps up, and you should absolutely let the players dictate the outcome of the game as much as possible. But they really need to find a way to be more consistent. Don't call something in the third period, that you weren't calling in the first two.

Everybody in Detroit is losing their fucking minds because Steve Yzerman appears to be returning. I don’t follow hockey at all so cool I guess?

He built the juggernaut that is Tampa Bay (recent results notwithstanding) so it's pretty exciting for sure. Not to mention he's the 2nd greatest player in franchise history, that helps too.

Considering how average-to-bad the entire Detroit sports scene has been this decade I think it's a nice shot in the arm for a lot of sports fans up there.

On 17/04/2019 at 14:38, Meacon said:

No way. There’d be no better story than the Islanders knocking Toronto out.

Sure

But I'm hoping the Bruins get them out first.

2 hours ago, damsher hatfield said:

He built the juggernaut that is Tampa Bay (recent results notwithstanding) so it's pretty exciting for sure. Not to mention he's the 2nd greatest player in franchise history, that helps too.

Considering how average-to-bad the entire Detroit sports scene has been this decade I think it's a nice shot in the arm for a lot of sports fans up there.

Yeah, he’s arguably the most beloved sports figure in Detroit sports history. You could argue others but I think it’s probably Yzerman. Hopefully he’s more Joe Dumars 2004 then Alan Trammel or Joe Dumars 2008. 

Leafs got away with one. Absolutely interference on their go ahead goal, that the goal stood was brutal.