NFL 2018

Lineker

• Admin

Seeing as Week 1 of the pre-season has been and gone...

The Chicago Bears have agreed to terms with first-round pick Roquan Smith, a source told ESPN's Adam Schefter.

The deal is for the slotted amount of $18 million guaranteed over four years. A source told Schefter the contract should include about $11 million in bonuses.

Selected with the eighth overall pick in the draft, Smith had been the last unsigned rookie in the NFL. Part of the reason for his holdout has been language in his contract that would allow the team to reclaim guaranteed money if the linebacker is suspended under the NFL's new helmet-contact rules, a source previously confirmed to ESPN.

Smith is expected to report as early as Monday night and could play in the Bears' next preseason game on Saturday at the Denver Broncos, a source told Schefter.

Asked Sunday if missing all of camp would limit Smith's ability to be defensive field general on opening day, Bears coach Matt Nagy did not mince words.

"I think it does," Nagy said. "You're playing at that position and there are a lot of calls that go on, very similar to a quarterback, there's a lot going on. But I have full confidence in [defensive coordinator] Vic [Fangio] and his staff that when he does get here, they'll get him up to speed and whenever that is, we'll see.

"But again, that's why we all get paid as coaches is to try to help our players out as much as possible, and that's kind of where we're at."

Smith, a University of Georgia product, was named SEC Defensive Player of the Year and a consensus All-American last season and had been expected to start immediately at one of the Bears' linebacker spots.

Smith's speed (4.51-second 40-yard dash at the NFL combine) also lends itself to the rookie staying on the field on passing downs. One of Smith's strengths at Georgia was his ability to run with tight ends in coverage.

Elsewhere, the 49ers have picked up RB Alfred Morris.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Plubby said:

We're trying to teach the good man some football and you lock the thread?!

You'll just tell him to like the Cowboys since Kellen Moore is coaching for them!

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, munky said:

Just the one forward pass, but you can lateral (backwards pass) multiple times. That rarely works out though.

Like rugby? Except without the forward pass.

I just wonder because I have watched a few Superb Owls and I have watched a bit of rugby in my time. Would it be something that could work in a really crazy play? If nobody does it, would it really fuck up the opposition?

1 hour ago, MDK said:

Like rugby? Except without the forward pass.

I just wonder because I have watched a few Superb Owls and I have watched a bit of rugby in my time. Would it be something that could work in a really crazy play? If nobody does it, would it really fuck up the opposition?

When it does work it’s kind of dumb luck. Your boy just happened to be close enough behind you without defenders. Or its used as a last ditch effort with no time left to maybe score once more. 

Let me really confuse you. There is a play called a “flea flicker”. QB hands off to the RB to make the defense think it’s a run. Instead, the RB takes a step or two forward then pitches back to the QB for what’s usually a long pass. The hope here is the fake run drew in defenders leaving the WRs open for a big gain. 

• Like 2

Just now, Lineker said:

Embrace it.

Honestly, I've tried. I just don't understand why they don't pass it more than once when it seems like the most obvious thing to do.

It just reminds me of being down the Orient and shouting "PASS THE FUCKING BALL, JABO, FUCKIN BASICS SON!"

I've wondered it myself considering that I've seen many plays a simple rugby pass would result in a walk-in touchdown. I can only assume that it's just not considered as an option because ball security and possession are the most important thing in the game and any risk of losing it must be kept to a minimum. 

Just now, Chris2K said:

I've wondered it myself considering that I've seen many plays a simple rugby pass would result in a walk-in touchdown. I can only assume that it's just not considered as an option because ball security and possession are the most important thing in the game and any risk of losing it must be kept to a minimum. 

Isn't there a 5th down like in Rugby League? Why not just go for it instead of fucking about.

3 hours ago, MDK said:

Isn't there a 5th down like in Rugby League? Why not just go for it instead of fucking about.

No there isn't.

Field position is key in this game. If you keep passing it backwards, you increase your chance of losing a lot of yards, you give the onrushing defenders more chance to hit you causing a loss of possession, injury or even a defensive Touchdown. It doesn't really make sense to do it like Rugby except in once-in-a-blue-moon exceptional circumstances.

Google the Music City Miracle for one such example of those exceptional circumstances.

3 hours ago, Chris2K said:

The risk of giving away possession just isn't worth it and the practice time needed to perfect it really isn't worth it.

Situations like this where the half is expiring and you're about to be tackled near your the endzone is worth it. The chances of a score the opposite way is very low and your about to concede possession for the half anyway.

Still absolutely insane situational awareness by Moss though!

4 hours ago, MDK said:

Honestly, I've tried. I just don't understand why they don't pass it more than once when it seems like the most obvious thing to do.

It just reminds me of being down the Orient and shouting "PASS THE FUCKING BALL, JABO, FUCKIN BASICS SON!"

Because that becomes predictable and the defense will adjust. Running effectively controls the clock, and wears the defense out. On top of that, the play takes less time to develop as opposed to passing. 

Also a good running game can help a young or mediocre QB that can’t take over games.

edit - you meant on laterals. It’s rarely feasible given that you have defenders with speed that can disrupt that sort of play. 

It’s all strategy, like a big sweaty game of chess.