NFL 2018

Lineker

54 minutes ago, livid said:

Lauletta isn't the immediate backup because they want a more seasoned guy to be the guy to go in if Eli gets hurt. If they're punting on the season at 1-7 they would start Lauletta to see if he's worth keeping around or not. 

Bingo.  It was the same set up as last year with Geno as the veteran backup and Davis Webb as the third string rookie.  To not play Lauletta would be to make all the same mistakes the team made last year.  They can turn to him and still give Eli the start in their last home game as a final sendoff, which I feel like they would've done last year had they moved straight to Davis Webb instead of playing Geno and setting themselves up for fan outrage.

What caused the outrage wasn't so much that they benched Eli and ended his streak as much as it was that they ended it for the wrong guy by playing the veteran backup instead of the rookie they sunk a pretty high pick into even though they were 2-9 and had nothing to lose.  About the only media person I can remember justifying the move was Chuck Modiano, who said Geno was only 27 and shouldn't be treated like some 30+ year old career backup...but mostly he pointed out that the Giants were the only team to never have a black starting QB and implied that if you took issue with Geno getting a chance, you were racist.

If you ask me, Eli's streak really shouldn't be considered broken. Because he wasn't benched for a valid reason, but because the coach that did it wanted to be a twatwaffle, and didn't care if he pissed people off since he was a dead man walking to begin with.

Well I'm glad Von Miller's bold claim of Denver kicking Arizona's ass came true, but I think it's quite obvious that it's more the Cardinals being absolutely atrocious than Denver being a good team. Broncos will finish 6-10/7-9 and if there is a Lawd above, Vance Joseph will be back to being a crappy defensive coach somewhere else. 

7 hours ago, GhostMachine said:

If you ask me, Eli's streak really shouldn't be considered broken. Because he wasn't benched for a valid reason, but because the coach that did it wanted to be a twatwaffle, and didn't care if he pissed people off since he was a dead man walking to begin with.

He was benched because they where 1-7 and Eli was playing like ass

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Meacon said:

Well I'm glad Von Miller's bold claim of Denver kicking Arizona's ass came true, but I think it's quite obvious that it's more the Cardinals being absolutely atrocious than Denver being a good team. Broncos will finish 6-10/7-9 and if there is a Lawd above, Vance Joseph will be back to being a crappy defensive coach somewhere else. 

Last season's Browns would probably beat us, we are the worst team in the league now.

5 hours ago, Busch Luck Fale said:

Started the Cardinals defense since my normal defense (Baltimore) has a tough matchup against New Orleans.

Not good.

That was a very silly decision, I could've told you to avoid doing that before every week so far :P

Wilks, McCoy and Keim should all be fired in my opinion. I know we lost BA and Palmer at the same time after last year but this really is pathetic. The play-calling is nonsense on both sides of the ball and there's absolutely no inspiration coming from the management. What a colossal waste of Fitz's last year.

• Admin
1 hour ago, Adam es Tranquilo said:

Last season's Browns would probably beat us, we are the worst team in the league now.

That was a very silly decision, I could've told you to avoid doing that before every week so far :P

Wilks, McCoy and Keim should all be fired in my opinion. I know we lost BA and Palmer at the same time after last year but this really is pathetic. The play-calling is nonsense on both sides of the ball and there's absolutely no inspiration coming from the management. What a colossal waste of Fitz's last year.

ESPN are already projecting you guys to have the #1 pick.

Fitz has an $15mil cap hit at the moment on a 1 year deal with only a small portion of that being a signing bonus. 

He really doesn't represent good value for a contender. He's very much overpaid and that's due the mutual loyalty he has with the Cards.

Also Rosen looked very bad last night. One of those pick 6s was just a terrible read on a simple 3 and 1, which is really worrying

21 minutes ago, TCO said:

Fitz has an $15mil cap hit at the moment on a 1 year deal with only a small portion of that being a signing bonus. 

He really doesn't represent good value for a contender. He's very much overpaid and that's due the mutual loyalty he has with the Cards.

Also Rosen looked very bad last night. One of those pick 6s was just a terrible read on a simple 3 and 1, which is really worrying

Arizona would be paying his dead cap hit, not the team acquiring him. I don't think he wants to leave though so it's a little moot. 

Larry's a case where as much as I like him and would love to see him win a ring, it's such a rarity in sports nowadays to see a player of his level spend their whole career with one team that I'd want him to stay in Arizona.

The 2004 draft sure was something.  Fitz, Ben, Eli, and Rivers all remaining in their organizations for 15 seasons.

1 hour ago, livid said:

Arizona would be paying his dead cap hit, not the team acquiring him. I don't think he wants to leave though so it's a little moot. 

Dead cap is only 5 of that 16mil the way the contracted is structured. That's still too high to be giving up alongside picks IMO!

6 minutes ago, TCO said:

Dead cap is only 5 of that 16mil the way the contracted is structured. That's still too high to be giving up alongside picks IMO!

It would be a prorated amount of that salary now anyways and the pick wouldn't be very high. A team like New England or even Philly would definitely pay that price but he'd have to want to leave to begin with and that doesn't seem very likely. 

5 hours ago, damsher hatfield said:

I know it's a longshot for a lot of reasons, but I'd like Fitz to get traded to a contender just to give him a chance to win a ring on his way out.

It's not going to happen. He had the chance to do just that and did not take it, he wants to end his career in Arizona. More than anything, the failure to get over the line in 2016 broke my heart for Fitz because he deserves a ring so badly and is never going to get one now. Hea easily one of the greatest players of all time and a true gent.

39 minutes ago, Lineker said:

‪Cardinals have now announced that offensive coordinator Mike McCoy has been relieved of his duties and that quarterbacks coach Byron Leftwich now is Arizona’s offensive coordinator.‬

Oh thank God. He has been disastrous. Just clueless on how to use the pieces at his disposal. That said, we have plenty of problems on Defense too. At this point getting the #1 pick would be a nice trade off for the shambles that has developed this season.

@TCO I'm certainly not worried about Rosen, he'll come good and is getting valuable experience starting in this environment.