NFL 2018

Lineker

4 hours ago, DMN said:

That's cool. We beat them this year, albeit not without controversy. The Raiders are also ahead of Cleveland in terms of a rebuild. Cleveland may have a stronger roster, but no coaching staff and a front office that leaves much to be desired. Say what you want about the Oakland front office and coaching staff, but there is a clear plan. Oakland has a direction and is moving towards it. Cleveland has Baker Mayfield and that's it.

I've got no doubt that the Raiders will get better. But for the short term, I couldn't justify taking them over the Browns in a rematch. You're right about Mayfield, though. Where I do weekly picks at, I'm having a hard time justifying picking either team each week. (For the record, I picked both teams to lose their Week 9 games. And I feel sorry that FOX can't flex out of the 49ers-Raiders game, which will be shit on a stick.) 

35 minutes ago, Lowerdeck said:

The Raiders are on the fast track now for the #1 pick.  They just look atrocious out there.

You ain't wrong.

I'm fine with a long term rebuild, though. 2016 was a mirage, and watching Derek Carr now, he's not the same guy he was before. He still looks shook from the injuries. It won't cost much to get rid of him after this season, I believe, so we'll see.

If Jon Gruden decides that he wants Justin Herbert, he's going to be in a great position to get him even if the Raiders squeak out a few more wins and avoid the top pick.  The Bills and Cardinals just took QBs, the Niners gave a huge deal to Jimmy G, and they'll probably finish behind Denver due to tiebreakers.  That leaves only the Giants, and if the Giants are picking anywhere other than first, the Raiders can easily make the move to leapfrog them and still have plenty of picks to spare.

Of course, the more I watch Herbert, the less I'm sure he's all that great.  But I still don't buy the rumors that he's considering staying another year, it's such a weak QB class he'd be a lock to go early.

28 minutes ago, Buschie Van Wagenen said:

If Jon Gruden decides that he wants Justin Herbert, he's going to be in a great position to get him even if the Raiders squeak out a few more wins and avoid the top pick.  The Bills and Cardinals just took QBs, the Niners gave a huge deal to Jimmy G, and they'll probably finish behind Denver due to tiebreakers.  That leaves only the Giants, and if the Giants are picking anywhere other than first, the Raiders can easily make the move to leapfrog them and still have plenty of picks to spare.

Of course, the more I watch Herbert, the less I'm sure he's all that great.  But I still don't buy the rumors that he's considering staying another year, it's such a weak QB class he'd be a lock to go early.

I'd rather use this year's picks to build more foundation and set the team up to draft Tua in two years.

4 hours ago, DMN said:

I'd rather use this year's picks to build more foundation and set the team up to draft Tua in two years.

This is what you want to do. Have everything in place before you get the QB. You only have a few years of a rookie QB deal so you need to make the window last as long as possible.

While I would prefer the route of the Giants going defense this year and landing Tua in 2020, the reality is multiple teams are going to be actively tanking for Tua next year and that means all but one team will have tanked a season for nothing.  

That’s why I fully expect Herbert to go to the Raiders or Giants anyway. 

5 hours ago, damsher hatfield said:

This is what you want to do. Have everything in place before you get the QB. You only have a few years of a rookie QB deal so you need to make the window last as long as possible.

This is another reason I actually like the Oakland situation better than Cleveland's. The only window that matters is that rookie QB deal window. If you don't hit that window, ala the Rams, you end up in a much more difficult situation when you have to pay the QB,

5 hours ago, Lineker said:

Wonder where Carr will end up. Giants?

There or Jacksonville. It depends on if the Jaguars blame Blake for their struggles, which I'm not sure is fair. Carr is probably better than him, but Derek has a lot of issues he needs to fix right now.

4 hours ago, TCO said:

Giants are going complete rebuild by the looks of things so I hope not. 

Herbert looks a bit too Osweiler for my liking so I'd rather wait another year.

Sign me up for the Tua tank though.

Gun to my head, if I had to take a QB this year, I'd probably grab Ryan Finley. I feel like, for as hyped as he has been at times, Herbert never lives up to it.

3 hours ago, Buschie Van Wagenen said:

While I would prefer the route of the Giants going defense this year and landing Tua in 2020, the reality is multiple teams are going to be actively tanking for Tua next year and that means all but one team will have tanked a season for nothing.  

That’s why I fully expect Herbert to go to the Raiders or Giants anyway. 

That's why I like Oakland's situation. Even if they're better next year, they still have multiple picks in 2020 to move up.

Speaking of Herbert in general. How over-rated is height as a QB attribute? Has there ever been a truly great QB over 6'5? 

I think as long as the guy is 6'1 then there should be no problem. It's possible to be too tall too and these huge QBs coming out are getting more and more hyped. Nobody notices that Rodgers is barely 6'2 at 188cm but everybody was dissecting Mayfield's height who's just 3cm shorter.

Height has become more irrelevant with so many quarterbacks leaving the pocket. The whole “must be tall!!!” mindset should have died when quarterbacks stopped being statues in the pocket. But there’s still tons of old school men running franchises so they think measurables, like quarterback’s height, are more important than they really are.