NFL 2018

Lineker

The point is that all these GMs are trying to unearth the next Sean McVay (when the first one kinda still needs to prove himself as anything but a guy who inherited a team loaded with talent) and they're looking past actual performance, experience, and qualifications for that. Kliff Kingsbury couldn't hack it at Texas Tech and now we're expected to believe he's a viable NFL head coach? Matt Rhule? There are experienced assistants who understand the NFL game much better than these young minds. Belichick and Carroll are both 60+ and both stay ahead of the curve because they have substantial experience in and around the NFL. Kliff Kingsbury is a poor man's Chip Kelly.

It would be like if the techbro who showed up fresh out of college with a revolutionary idea that is really just buses leapfrogged you at your company.

• Like 1

I'm all for shitting on the Rams but I think that's a slightly unfair reading of that situation. Yes, they have a lot of talent now but they also integrated a lot of that after McVay was hired. The only ones they had prior to him were Gurley and Donald (which isn't nothing obviously but it's also only 2 guys). And Goff looked so bad as a rookie that I'm not sure you can qualify him as "inherited talent". The rest all got there after the fact. 

Matt LaFleur has the resume to support his hiring if you look past just this past year when he had very little to work with in Tennessee. Everything before that would indicate him as being a strong candidate for teams. His hiring actually mirrors McCarthy's quite a bit because he was also a hotshot playcaller that was on a bad team (the 49ers) but had a good track record prior to that. 

I mean, the Kingsbury one I guess is questionable but even then, I'm not sure how his lack of success at Texas Tech really disqualifies him as a candidate in the NFL when the talent disparity isn't as drastic because of the salary cap. Kingsbury is a lot riskier to me than LaFleur, though. 

Edited by livid

20 minutes ago, livid said:

I mean, the Kingsbury one I guess is questionable but even then, I'm not sure how his lack of success at Texas Tech really disqualifies him as a candidate in the NFL when the talent disparity isn't as drastic because of the salary cap. Kingsbury is a lot riskier to me than LaFleur, though. 

A guy that got to recruit the state of Texas, failed to take his college team to one of the 41 bowls that exist. Now the Cardinals are asking him to coach in a much tougher environment and lead them to the one and only bowl. 

It'd be one thing if he had been a QB coach on the NFL level, but he's literally had nothing but college experience, and as a head coach it did not go well. 

EDIT: Oh my fault, that last line I thought you said Kingsbury isn't riskier. I thought you was loco. 

1 minute ago, Meacon said:

A guy that got to recruit the state of Texas, failed to take his college team to one of the 41 bowls that exist. Now the Cardinals are asking him to coach in a much tougher environment and lead them to the one and only bowl. 

It'd be one thing if he had been a QB coach on the NFL level, but he's literally had nothing but college experience, and as a head coach it did not go well. 

People are just salivating at the idea of him bringing the Texas Tech style offense to the NFL. But here's the thing, same as Chip Kelly it won't work. The salary cap and roster limits prevent teams from loading up on guys with speed and athleticism to just keep cycling in there. Defenses don't like it when their offenses score too quickly either, especially come playoff time. It's not really Kliff's fault (get that money) but NFL GMs have a historically bad ability to read the situation. Ask yourself who the perennial powers in the NFL have been. Who is always there or around there, and never really rebuilding? It's the teams that don't get cute.

I should add this isn't to say teams shouldn't take risks or chances. I love the Ravens taking a shot with Lamar Jackson, the worst case scenario is it doesn't pan out and the team is right where they would have been otherwise. But teams see the Chiefs and Rams lighting up the scoreboard and immediately go "Wow we need to get some of that" instead of going "We need to find someone who understands why that works and how to build on it/beat it".

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, damsher hatfield said:

People are just salivating at the idea of him bringing the Texas Tech style offense to the NFL. But here's the thing, same as Chip Kelly it won't work. 

Are we sure about that? Andy Reid is making a pretty compelling case with the Chiefs offense that it can. Obviously you need the personnel but that's the case for anybody. 

Edited by livid

1 minute ago, livid said:

Are we sure about that? Andy Reid is making a pretty compelling case with the Chiefs offense that it can. Obviously you need the personnel but that's the case for anybody. 

Chiefs have an impossibly fast WR, top-tier TE, and really good pass blocking. The drop-off is there if any of them go down.

Heck the Rams offense returned to Earth the minute Cooper Kupp got here precisely because there is just no way to have enough depth on the roster to make it work like it works in college. Too much relies on health and good fortune for it to actually be a long-term option in the NFL.

1 minute ago, damsher hatfield said:

Chiefs have an impossibly fast WR, top-tier TE, and really good pass blocking. The drop-off is there if any of them go down.

Heck the Rams offense returned to Earth the minute Cooper Kupp got here precisely because there is just no way to have enough depth on the roster to make it work like it works in college. Too much relies on health and good fortune for it to actually be a long-term option in the NFL.

Oh I know. As a 49ers fan I saw it first hand this season but the 49ers were in games they shouldn't have been because Kyle Shanahan knows how to utilize the options he does have on offense to his advantage. The ability to scheme and get guys opens helps mask a lot of your team's shortcomings and I think that's why teams, especially with young QBs, are gravitating towards guys that can do that or have flashed the ability to do that. 

The Bears defense was obviously amazing this year (oh how I miss you Vic Fangio) but they won games with solid offensive play at times because Nagy was able to mask Trubisky's shortcomings by scheming it so that he rarely had to look past his second read.  

3 minutes ago, livid said:

Oh I know. As a 49ers fan I saw it first hand this season but the 49ers were in games they shouldn't have been because Kyle Shanahan knows how to utilize the options he does have on offense to his advantage. The ability to scheme and get guys opens helps mask a lot of your team's shortcomings and I think that's why teams, especially with young QBs, are gravitating towards guys that can do that or have flashed the ability to do that. 

The Bears defense was obviously amazing this year (oh how I miss you Vic Fangio) but they won games with solid offensive play at times because Nagy was able to mask Trubisky's shortcomings by scheming it so that he rarely had to look past his second read.  

I won't disagree with that. Teams are often much more suited to win when they have a young QB because of the cap situation (namely not paying a ton of money to one player who statistically doesn't affect the outcome as much as we're conditioned to think they affect the outcome). Good scheming goes a long way. My point is that teams are pivoting hard to a style of football that is going to be countered, and teams will adapt to. The NFL is faster and more high-scoring now, and it'll likely stay that way. Offensive gurus are always going to find short-term success, but that's probably where it ends. Once they get bogged down with injuries and contracts those teams won't roll like they did before and they'll be stuck in the perpetual 6-to-10-win territory that so many NFL franchises can never get out of.

I mean, if we're talking the 'Texas Tech' offense, Air Raid is nothing special and NFL teams have and are doing it. Philly, New England, fucking everyone runs some of that shit in their passing game. You don't need Kliff Kingsbury to run that, and, honestly, nothing he's shown me has convinced me he's going to be any good. I feel bad for Josh Rosen (and Adam).

• Like 1

I don't follow college ball so I don't even know who Kingsbury is, I just know he coached guys like Mahomes.

I'm very reticent to believe this will be a good move, especially considering how bad things have gone for Steve Keim recently. But we don't appear to be capable of getting any worse, so let's see how it goes.

9 minutes ago, Adam es Tranquilo said:

I don't follow college ball so I don't even know who Kingsbury is, I just know he coached guys like Mahomes.

I'm very reticent to believe this will be a good move, especially considering how bad things have gone for Steve Keim recently. But we don't appear to be capable of getting any worse, so let's see how it goes.

If he was coming in as the OC or QB coach, it'd be a great hire. As the head coach, it's a stretch. If he can get good coordinators, Arizona could still be successful. People kinda forget that Sean McVay went out and got Wade Phillips to be his DC, and that son of Bum is pretty fucking good at it. If Kingsbury could get someone like, fuck, Rex Ryan? That could swing it. He'd be a great DC and has NFL head coaching experience. It could make the hire work. Doesn't have to be Rex exactly, because there's other baggage there, but you get the idea. Otherwise he's Lane Kiffin without Monte for a father.

• Like 1

I laughed when I heard he was going to be the Cardinals' head coach. There are plenty of other coaches, head and otherwise, who would be better choices that Kingsbury. He wasn't exactly a world beater as a college head coach, so what makes people think he'll be good as a NFL one?

But I agree with DMN, which is rare: If he was coming in as OC or QB coach, I'd applaud the hiring. If he gets a good staff, he *might* be successful. It depends on who he gets and what kind of coaching style he uses. But I'm not going to be worrying about the Cardinals possibly going to the Super Bowl under his watch.

8 hours ago, Meacon said:

He’s not poor. Eagle fans have been sending him money via Venmo since the moment he missed the kick. :lol: 

However, he and his family are still receiving death threats for that miss. I hate people sometimes

8 hours ago, Buschie Van Wagenen said:

Feel like Arians’ retirement last year was more just him realizing that Arizona was about to be a dumpster fire.

This guy is ridiculous. Lynn is getting plenty of praise and McVay deserved every bit of praise he got. He took a losing team, with a sophomore QB in a tough division, won it twice and took the #2 seed his 2nd year. Lynn got a single wildcard and is getting adequate praise. 

Bieinemy is 100% going to get HC buzz, especially after what Doug Pederson achieved. I really don't know what he's trying to achieve.

He won't be happy until teams are obligated to employ a minority head coach!

9 hours ago, DMN said:

If he was coming in as the OC or QB coach, it'd be a great hire. As the head coach, it's a stretch. If he can get good coordinators, Arizona could still be successful. People kinda forget that Sean McVay went out and got Wade Phillips to be his DC, and that son of Bum is pretty fucking good at it. If Kingsbury could get someone like, fuck, Rex Ryan? That could swing it. He'd be a great DC and has NFL head coaching experience. It could make the hire work. Doesn't have to be Rex exactly, because there's other baggage there, but you get the idea. Otherwise he's Lane Kiffin without Monte for a father.

I'll remain open-minded then. I do think hiring Mike McCoy as OC was a big reason why Wilks and this team failed so miserably this season. Wilks seemed out of his depth but McCoy was just clueless.

4 hours ago, TCO said:

This guy is ridiculous. Lynn is getting plenty of praise and McVay deserved every bit of praise he got. He took a losing team, with a sophomore QB in a tough division, won it twice and took the #2 seed his 2nd year. Lynn got a single wildcard and is getting adequate praise. 

Bieinemy is 100% going to get HC buzz, especially after what Doug Pederson achieved. I really don't know what he's trying to achieve.

He won't be happy until teams are obligated to employ a minority head coach!

I thought it was pretty well established that guy on Twitter is the equivalent of a troll. He's just constantly calling racism and trying to get spotlight. 

Hmmm, makes me wonder if Beinemy is going anywhere now.  The vacancies are filling up.  Are the Bengals going to land him purely by being the last team without a coach or will he do the sensible thing and ignore them entirely?

On the Kingsbury front, the Cardinals are a much better place to run a Chip Kelly style experiment than Philadelphia was.  The expectations in the desert are going to be pretty low.  I'm interested to see what he can do if they give him some time.  I imagine he's not going to be the disastrous micro-manager that Kelly turned out to be.

• Like 1