NFL 2018

Lineker

It depends on who the QB is I suppose.  Some QBs are just flat out irreplaceable to the point where coaches and GMs can get a pass if the QB goes down in-season.  Mike McCarthy was never at risk of being fired in Green Bay once Rodgers went down.  But if it happens again this year, he might not have the same luxury.  Chuck Pagano got multiple passes for Luck being hurt before it got to a point where he no longer had an excuse.  Growing up, three QBs on a roster used to be the norm.  But in the past decade it seems teams with elite or near-elite level QBs have opted to only keep two QBs on the roster unless they have reason to believe the starter is an injury risk.

Having said that I don't have any qualms with them cutting Webb, if anything that just further highlights how piss poor Jerry Reese was at drafting.  Aside from Ereck Flowers, his first and second round picks were pretty good.  But everything past that was a dumpster fire.  He was known to draft guys based on athleticism alone with no thought put into whether or not they'd fit in with the scheme.  His third round picks were especially ghastly, and none of them are with the team anymore.

2007: Jay Alford
2008: Mario Manningham
2009: Ramses Barden and Travis Beckum
2010: Chad Jones
2011: Jerrel Jernigan
2012: Jayron Hosley
2013: Damontre Moore
2014: Jay Bromley
2015: Owa Odigjizuwa
2016: Darian Thompson
2017: Davis Webb

Can't blame Reese for Chad Jones, who never got to play after a severe car accident.  But of the rest, Manningham was the only one that was a remotely decent NFL player.

I think the Giants' "Why Your Team Sucks" write up on Deadspin this year is dead on.  It's like they realized that they botched the Eli situation last year but to make it up to him they committed a drastic over-correction to now build the entire team back around him and essentially guarantee him two more years at the helm.

Starting Eli the week after the Geno Smith fiasco was something I think needed to be done, but starting him the whole rest of the way was just crazy.  Davis Webb might well suck, but that they didn't even attempt to give him a look was perplexing.  Are they going to do the same thing to Kyle Lauletta this year?  Without a real QB succession plan, you turn into the Browns real quick.

To top all of that off,while it's admittedly suuuuuuuper early for this, the top names I'm hearing about for 2019 QBs are Justin Herbert and Drew Lock - neither of whom will carry anywhere near the level of hype Darnold did.  Their chance to get a potential franchise QB was this year, and they passed.

I've got friends who are Giants fans and post anti-Cowboys memes on Facebook, all in fun. However, I'm laughing at them (the memes, not the friends) bigtime, because of the situation the Giants are in. I'm not ready to make predictions for the whole NFL season just yet, but right now, i'm seeing the NFL East being: Eagles (unfortunately) finishing on top, the Cowboys and Redskins 2 and 3 (that's either team finishing second and the other third, depending on injuries), and the Giants coming in dead last at 4.

Reese's stupidity left them in a bad situation, and I think that down the road they are going to regret paying OBJ as much as they did. Some of that money should have been spent elsewhere. And Busch hit the nail on the head as far as a potential franchise QB is concerned. 

*edited to add* It'll be interesting to see what happens with RG3 this season. And if anyone actually signs Eric Reid, considering he's pulling a Kaepernick.

Edited by GhostMachine

1 hour ago, Lineker said:

The Bills have named Nathan Peterman as their starting QB. I wonder how many picks that will last.

Fixed that for you.

Now that I've gone and said that, Watch him torch us for 500 yards like a certain Browns QB did the other year.

15 hours ago, GhostMachine said:

I think that down the road they are going to regret paying OBJ as much as they did. Some of that money should have been spent elsewhere.

This is just utter bullshit. You have a top talent (#2 in the league at WR in my opinion) who's also 25 then you fucking pay the man his market rate. You're not going to win shit if you let your best players walk so you can spend an extra couple of million on a guard and a safety. You get what, 2 first round picks for Beckham? Then what? You have to spend one on a WR who you hope turns out like what? That's right an Odell Beckham level talent. Nobody said shit when the Steelers gave Antonio Brown basically the same deal at an older age. Mainly because everyone hates Odell Beckham.

The cap grows so the sooner you get your guy locked up the cheaper he is and the only rate that matters is the % of the cap. Lets see how the Raiders do with all the sweet cap space rushing the QB this year.

• Like 3

I was on vacation when Mack traded but hoooooo boyyyy. What an incredibly dumb move. He was the next great Raider, a surefire Hall of Famer who would be anchoring an elite defensive unit for a decade. And the Raiders willingly gave that away so a guy who hasn't coached in a decade can prove a point? They're taking the money Vegas is giving them and just running with it. With Elway botching draft after draft the Chargers and Chiefs might own that division for the next half decade. What a wild turn of events from 365 days ago when we thought the Raiders were ready to be a perennial power.

11 minutes ago, Busch Luck Fale said:

Nike, official gear manufacturer of the NFL, have named Colin Kaepernick the face of their 30th anniversary campaign.

As you can expect, the worst people you can imagine are destroying the Nike products they already paid Nike for.

On 01/09/2018 at 05:49, Maxx said:

Gruden era 2.0 is off to a wonderful start.   @DMN your thoughts?

If you aren't/can't pay him, then move him. The defense sucked with him, 12-4 was a fluke, and the team needs a more complete rebuild.

Obviously I'd prefer he stayed, and I don't like the late round pick swapping, but it's hard to spend that much money on a non-QB when you don't have a QB on a rookie contract.

'Switching teams would be justified' over a player personnel decision? Laughable. He was one damn player, the best defensive player in the league (don't @ me, @Meacxico, Von looks like a nerd), but he didn't make the defense even mediocre, so...?

Edit: there's also reports Oakland literally couldn't give him that contract because they don't have the cash on hand to put the guaranteed money in escrow due to the Vegas move.

Edited by DMN

For the last year Paul Dottino, who works for WFAN and for decades has been the Giants' "official" beat writer/the one they pass all official news onto and he puts a positive spin on everything, couldn't stop talking up Davis Webb and how talented he is.  He was 100% sold on Webb being the Giants' QB of the future and would block people who gave him shit about it.

In a Twitter thread started by the Giants message board I frequent, I mentioned "Dottino was the one guy in the organization that really loved him, said a lot about how he was the future and how they didn't need Darnold".  Dottino then DM'ed me saying "Barkley was the unanimous pick" and blocked me.

Dottino's official account wasn't even tagged anywhere in the thread, so it was obvious he had run a search for his name.

This is what happens when you gargle the organization's balls for 35 years.

2 hours ago, Busch Luck Fale said:

For the last year Paul Dottino, who works for WFAN and for decades has been the Giants' "official" beat writer/the one they pass all official news onto and he puts a positive spin on everything, couldn't stop talking up Davis Webb and how talented he is.  He was 100% sold on Webb being the Giants' QB of the future and would block people who gave him shit about it.

In a Twitter thread started by the Giants message board I frequent, I mentioned "Dottino was the one guy in the organization that really loved him, said a lot about how he was the future and how they didn't need Darnold".  Dottino then DM'ed me saying "Barkley was the unanimous pick" and blocked me.

Dottino's official account wasn't even tagged anywhere in the thread, so it was obvious he had run a search for his name.

This is what happens when you gargle the organization's balls for 35 years.

This is so sad. :lol: 

• Like 1