Disenchantment (The New Matt Groenig show) is up on Netflix now.

K

It's a fantasy series about a Princess who hates her position, and her new friends 'bart simpson but an elf' and 'bender but a cat but a demon'.

etnllnihz6lh9fukxhux.jpg

Episode one was.... fine. It was an obvious situation setting pilot episode. We had to get these three discrete characters into each others lives and they only had 24 minutes to do it, so it was a little forced, but I'm on episode three now and it's picking up.

Here's the trailer:

42 minutes ago, Lineker said:

Someone let me know if this is worth investing time into on night shifts or something.

it's probably good background TV if that's what you want. I was watching it while sewing. It's not the kind of show you plan an evening around.

• Thanks 1

The Futurama Character art style doesn't work in a fantasy setting to me for whatever reason.

• Like 1

The part in the trailer where the princess headbutts a dude straight in the dome for calling her a flower made me laugh.

I paid little attention during episodes 6 and 7. It's not clicking as well as it could. Seems to me they need a straight man in the core gang - Bean, Elvo and Luci are three shades of Bender. The series cries out for an emotional core like in Futurama but it's too whacky for their own good, I suspect because they've got to tell jokes with hardly any references due to the setting.

Watched maybe 6 episodes so far, I think its okay but by far the best part is Luci.  I still think Futurama is far better and it really throws me off that so many of the characters in Disenchantment sound so similar to Futurama characters.

So far I think Final Space is the vastly superior show.

18 minutes ago, GA! said:

What's Final Space about? Apart from, y'know, space....

It's a comedy-drama that I thought was going to be just dumb comedy but the drama part REALLY kicks in as it goes on.

Basically Space Prisoner who is losing his mind from isolation finds an alien and named it Mooncake.  Evil guy named "The Lord Commander" is trying to find Mooncake to open Final Space and destroy the Universe.  Mooncake also can destroy planets.  There is a lot of charm to it and it does get really heavily dramatic at points.  Plus it has some voice work from Conan O'Brien, Ron Pearlman and Keith David.  David Tennent voices The Lord Commander as well.

I think it's going to - hopefully - pick up as the season goes on (Netflix order 23 episodes, so they've only released part of the season) and kick into gear once they develop more about their world and the characters involved. I generally enjoyed it as easy going TV, although it did feel like a weaker version of Futurama in a lot of places. But anything that allows John DiMaggio and Eric Andre more work is never a bad thing for me.