EWB Musicians

VerbalPuke

19 minutes ago, metalman said:

You have a banjo? Cool!

Yeah! Just got it for Christmas, and it’s a lot of fun. I really like blue grass music and wanted to learn an instrument that isn’t as common as the usual rock and roll stuff. So I opted for a five string banjo, which I’m trying to play Scruggs style, learning rolls, etc. 

Playing guitar and bass prior certainly helped. But having different tuning and a string that stops at the 5th fret really throws me off.

• 3 weeks later...

So here's a recording I did a few nights ago. I just came up with a really simple chord progression that I could throw an easy bass line on (starts off E, F, F#, G...so just playing open E, then fret 1-2-3) and then a rhythm of E-G-A. The bass is a bit overpowering but I took the volume down a bit so you can sorta hear the guitar. I'm still figuring out stuff like positioning the mic, mastering, etc. 

So here is me playing guitar, bass, and I added some tambourine with reverb to add a bit of percussion. 

I also a really basic ass banjo/guitar thing that I want to re-record, or maybe I"ll just upload it as is. I don't know, it's bad but it's mine. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I have this silly idea about singing a song and posting it. Trying to figure out what I want to sing though - right now the leading candidate is Townes Van Zandt's "Waitin' Around To Die". 

On 06/02/2019 at 22:28, Meacon said:

I'm still terrible a month and a half in, but I'm getting better and better quickly it seems. I'm still not good, but I've learned what each note each fret is, and I'm slowly but surely getting faster and smoother moving to those notes. 

Do you already know the whole fretboard? That’s really good. That will help immensely when you jam with somebody else, you’ll know where to go with what they play. 

Or, if you everywhere you can play a specific note you can play the same note in different spots to shake things up a bit.

On 19/02/2019 at 20:04, VerbalPuke said:

I'll do it if you do it. 

I'll try to record something this weekend then.

oh god it sounds awful but I'll upload it.

Someone tell me if this loads, because it won't play for me. 

Hear my mighty mumbling and despair, mortals! As I ruin a perfectly good song!

• Thanks 1

Why do I leave off the "s" in the word "sometimes"? Why do I randomly leave out words? Is it anxiety? Is it because I suck? Is it because my anxiety sucks?! Listen and find out!

On 23/02/2019 at 07:35, Howdy Cloudy said:

oh god it sounds awful but I'll upload it.

Someone tell me if this loads, because it won't play for me. 

Hear my mighty mumbling and despair, mortals! As I ruin a perfectly good song!

Cloudy, I love your voice, holy shit. It’s this great Southern baritone, its awesome. Sing more man, you got something. 

• Like 1

Thanks! I hate my voice in general, even more when I'm trying to sing. So it's nice to see someone enjoyed it!

My voice is high and teenage punk-popish and it took ages for me to step up and own it but now I love singing in practice and at our gigs. It's tough to break that seal though, really hard.

In fact check out "Winona Ryder" and "You're So Cool" from this tracklisting for my cheesy high pitched tones.

https://tinyghost.bandcamp.com/

• Like 2

Guys I feel like butchering another song next, but I dunno what to sing. A Ghost song (my latest obsession..) or "Solitude" by Candlemass?

• 1 month later...

I recorded myself singing, two quick ones, both are me playing a quick easy chord progression (of course) with one being an accoustic one just singing normal. Then I did one that’s a bit angrier because I was just curious how it would come out, and honestly, singing with an angry vengeance is cathartic. 

I need to edit them a bit and upload but should be able to do that this weekend.

so yeah, they wont be pretty but it was my first time singing my own lyrics. Literally the first time.

• Like 2