Fantasy Puck?

SeanDMan

I thought you were just trying to emulate the Edmonton Oilers and just draft nothing but forwards all the time.

Edited by North Of Seattle SeaCattle

Well then perhaps we can discuss ways to beef up categories for at least goalies?.   Add in blocked shots as a scoring category, maybe?   Under our current settings the top scoring forward got 1886 points.  Top scoring defenseman got 839.  The top scoring goalie got 166.

2 minutes ago, Maxx said:

Well then perhaps we can discuss ways to beef up categories for at least goalies?.   Add in blocked shots as a scoring category, maybe?   Under our current settings the top scoring forward got 1886 points.  Top scoring defenseman got 839.  The top scoring goalie got 166.

Blocked shots for players should already be a category. I'd consider it for goalies but 1 point for a save seems a bit heavy given a guy can get 30 or 40 in a game.

We can definitely tweak and adjust scoring weights within reason.

Oh yeah saves would massively unbalance it.  At the moment they're basically kickers, which makes me and I imagine a few other people, kind of annoyed at how early I drafted one.

46 minutes ago, Maxx said:

Oh yeah saves would massively unbalance it.  At the moment they're basically kickers, which makes me and I imagine a few other people, kind of annoyed at how early I drafted one.

Wins and Shutouts need to count for goalies. Head to head would have been better, because then Save Percentage and other stats would have been in play. I'm not really sure what stats other than wins, shutouts and saves could possibly be used if we aren't scoring head to head each week.

I'm not saying it wouldn't be fair if we have done it that way. I agree it would. It's just that changing it after 8 rounds of picks doesn't seem right. The scoring settings were there for everyone to see. If we change it now it feels like I'm being punished for actually checking the rules before the draft started.

Anyway, I'll still be in the league if we change the rules now. I just don't think it's fair. That's all.

Yeah I think 8 rounds in, it's a bit late to radically overhaul how the system will work. Tweaking values absolutely, but flipping it entirely upside down would be a bit drastic.

2 hours ago, Malenko said:

Easy with the cheap shots! It only took 4 1st picks, a couple more top-5 picks, and a once in a generation talent to become (almost) relevant. :angry: 

Haven't heard people describe Lucic as Generational before, but hey good for him!

1 hour ago, Lowerdeck said:

Wait, this isn't head to head?

Watch as three teams run away with it by January and the rest of the league has no incentive to keep going.

Head to head points, not categories.  So its like the football league is set up instead of the baseball league.

23 minutes ago, JMarushin said:

Ohhh - so the weekly matchups will be head to head still but based on accrued points and not categories?

This isnt a rotisserie style league then?

Nope, if it was, I wouldn't be here.

2 hours ago, Malenko said:

I'm not saying it wouldn't be fair if we have done it that way. I agree it would. It's just that changing it after 8 rounds of picks doesn't seem right. The scoring settings were there for everyone to see. If we change it now it feels like I'm being punished for actually checking the rules before the draft started.

Anyway, I'll still be in the league if we change the rules now. I just don't think it's fair. That's all.

I see what you're saying, and understand, but I'll just give you my perspective. Most of the things that were going on in the league were discussed in this thread.  Roster sizes got discussed, then implemented, roster positions got discussed, then implemented and the only thing we talked about regarding scoring were which categories would be used, which led to me assuming that meant it's a head to head category system, as that's what I think of when I hear categories for any fantasy games that aren't football.  This being a points based league was never brought up, so while the settings are there to see,  once you go find them anyways, it hadn't exactly been made obvious that they were what had been decided on.

I'll roll with it, I just don't think its going to end up being a competitive league as quite a few people were clearly operating under the assumption that it was a head to head categories situation, and drafted accordingly. 

I don't think anything needs to change from a scoring perspective for forwards and defensemen, but I'd say something needs to be done to have goalies give more points in weekly matchups. It wouldn't really affect much given the current draft results, I think all but 1 of us has drafted someone in goal no?

Is there a way to reward high save games or high save percentage games?

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, damsher hatfield said:

I don't think anything needs to change from a scoring perspective for forwards and defensemen, but I'd say something needs to be done to have goalies give more points in weekly matchups. It wouldn't really affect much given the current draft results, I think all but 1 of us has drafted someone in goal no?

Is there a way to reward high save games or high save percentage games?

.1 point per save? So most goalies will get 2-3 points a game from saves? Or is that a lot?