Hot Takes, but about SPORTS!

Schlitzbrille

Not sure if it is a hot take or not. But supporters of lower league clubs are far more interesting than those of top flight clubs. 

4 hours ago, MDK said:

All American sports are rubbish and they have way too many stats and they are all incredibly boring. Ice Hockey is okay but they need to make the puck brighter because nobody can see it.

Chess is more of a sport than golf. Breakdancing is more of a sport than golf. Darts is more of a sport than... golf.

Get glasses or a bigger TV. Maybe it's because I'm Canadian and grew up on Hockey, but I've never had an issue, even when I was watching it on a shitty little 12 inch CRT TV.

Hot Take: If a sport has an overtime possibility, it should be contested the same way that the regulation part of the game is contested. Example being, Hockey is played 5 on 5, but if it goes to overtime, it's 3 on 3... and if no one scores in that, they do a shootout. Should be 5 on 5 all the way through, with no shootout. Go back to awarding 1 point each for a tie at the end of overtime.

• Like 1

My 'hot take' is that I don't care for rules aimed to help the offense in any sport. Defense is far more interesting and entertaining for me, and this push, in basically every sport, to put more points on the board has taken a lot of what I love from a few sports, most notably football and basketball.

Also, playoff hockey is the best time of any sport.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, DanishmadePunk said:

Not sure if it is a hot take or not. But supporters of lower league clubs are far more interesting than those of top flight clubs. 

How does that work for say a Bournemouth or Burnley? Are their fans interesting?

• Like 1

The main thing I would change about the Olympics is swimming. I'm sure it takes a whole lot of talent to swim in multiple different ways, but swimmers should be restricted to swimming in one technique only (but free to race that technique over multiple events covering different distances).

I will admit my feelings on this are fueled by the Bolt/Phelps debate, on which I am purely on Bolt's side because Bolt doesn't have the option to win gold medals in the 100m forwards, backwards, sideways, hopping, bunny-hopping and whilst windmilling his arms around.

Just now, Bobfoc said:

Why?

"Here's a collection of sports to watch that no one really gives a shit about for three and a half years at a time... and hockey every fourth year."

The absolutely blind Nationalism that coerces most people into watching stuff they wouldn't otherwise give the time of day.

The fact that it seems like the entire world stops just for the Olympics.

That's what I like about the Olympics. They draw attention to sports that don't otherwise get much coverage, and they give participants of such sports a rare chance to shine in front of a big audience. For that reason, I'd rather sports that are massive outside the Olympics, like football, golf and tennis, weren't part of it.

• Like 2

I wouldn't mind it at all if it didn't force a break in the NHL season (which it won't if they keep declining to go)... and if it didn't dominate 80% of the media. I used to get excited for the Winter Olympics (never really cared for the Summer games), but the sheer amount of coverage is outrageous. Network television puts their tv shows on hiatus. Sports where the leagues are involved force a break, with their players risking injury and coming back to finish their season more tired than they otherwise would have been. I'm not sure what it's like elsewhere, but in Canada, when the Olympics are happening, good luck finding anything else on TV or in the news.

It's the same reason why I still haven't watched Game of Thrones. I was super interested when it started, missed the first season, acquired the first season, and then was just beat down with the bloody thing by people who wouldn't stop talking about it, and all of the media coverage it received through websites I visit. Eventually I'll sit down and watch it, but overexposure killed my desire.

Oh, and I hate that it seems like you can't just sit down and watch a specific event anymore. Last Winter Olympics, everything except for Hockey was shown almost golf-style. You'd see five to fifteen minutes of an event, then they'd shoot you over to something completely different, meanwhile, you're left wondering what's going on in the thing that you were interested in while they try to hype me on something I don't care about.

"We're getting ready for the second round in the Men's Three Man Bobsled..." *watch the first two runs out of eight* "...alright! And now over to Figure Skating, Bob." That's a horrible way to broadcast.

Also: Leagues without some form of ProReg are universally boring.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gabriel said:

Oh, and I hate that it seems like you can't just sit down and watch a specific event anymore. Last Winter Olympics, everything except for Hockey was shown almost golf-style. You'd see five to fifteen minutes of an event, then they'd shoot you over to something completely different, meanwhile, you're left wondering what's going on in the thing that you were interested in while they try to hype me on something I don't care about.

"We're getting ready for the second round in the Men's Three Man Bobsled..." *watch the first two runs out of eight* "...alright! And now over to Figure Skating, Bob." That's a horrible way to broadcast.

I think one of the issues last year was due to the time zones. You were basically watching stuff that had happened the previous night. So if you'd the paper or gone online, you might have known who had won already. 

I don't disagree with you as to how they should air it though I get why they did it that way. Pretty sure you can watch things in their entirety on CBC though.

3 hours ago, Gabriel said:

Get glasses or a bigger TV. Maybe it's because I'm Canadian and grew up on Hockey, but I've never had an issue, even when I was watching it on a shitty little 12 inch CRT TV.

I just can't follow it at all!