Hot Takes, but about SPORTS!

Schlitzbrille

You also can't compare stars of different eras because of changes in how games are played, and I don't just mean rules.

Look at baseball back before the DH existed and there was no such thing as a relief pitcher. When one pitcher was expected to throw an entire game, including extra innings. When the spitball was a legal pitch.

Look at football when players weren't protected so much and players were hit hard. Think Brady would have as many Super Bowl titles if him and his team mates were being hit as hard as players were back when guys like Dick Butkus and Deacon Jones were playing?

Lance Armstrong would've been just as dominant if nobody in his era was juiced to the gills.

He and others deserve the eternal shame they got, but I think in a clean field he would still be the best bar none, there was nobody in the field that had the same obsessive drive to be great at all aspects of pro cycling, and despite his tarnished legacy, he was the best in an era where everyone was juiced.

Edited by Jasonmufc
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, GhostMachine said:

You also can't compare stars of different eras because of changes in how games are played, and I don't just mean rules.

Look at baseball back before the DH existed and there was no such thing as a relief pitcher. When one pitcher was expected to throw an entire game, including extra innings. When the spitball was a legal pitch.

Look at football when players weren't protected so much and players were hit hard. Think Brady would have as many Super Bowl titles if him and his team mates were being hit as hard as players were back when guys like Dick Butkus and Deacon Jones were playing?

Why do people think Tom Brady can't take a hit? He's basically Ken Stabler with good habits instead of self-destructive ones, not an amazing physical specimen or a perfect athlete, but he has a knack for making the play that needs to be made at the right time. Tom Brady is 3 inches and nearly 30 pounds heavier than Bart Starr, 25 pounds heavier than Joe Namath, almost 30 pounds heavier than Roger Staubach. I don't see why he'd be any more injury prone than they were.

EDIT: If anything, and I can't believe I, mr. 'defense is the greatest thing ever', is going to say this, but I'd like to see Deacon Jones and Dick Butkus play against offensive lineman allowed to extend their arms and actually block.

• Like 1

I'm not sure how hot this take is but as it's a trope to talk about Liverpool crowd and atmosphere. I don't see much evidence to say many clubs can match it. Certainly in the Premier League. 

It's not a constant thing and it's very much tied to mood and how the team is doing but I rarely seem to catch as much creativity from other clubs, when they play Liverpool anyway. They all tend to just sing the same songs about Scousers and one or two about their own players. 

Tight end is a really overrated position in American football. I feel like teams want to chase the freakish mismatch that a good one gives you, but I always felt it was a waste for bad teams to chase one early in the draft. Tight end should simply be a reliable receiver that can block well. 

Edit - Rather than “should be” I’ll say “all you need”. If you already have good WRs then nevermind the freak athlete tight end and get yourself a sturdy offensive or defensive lineman. 

Networks refuse to show fans running onto the field because they don't want to give them attention, but they have no qualms at all cutting to the announcers who are invariably describing the idiot's antics and drawing attention to it regardless.

Screw that, either cut the feed entirely or let me watch drunk, out of shape civilians get tackled by police.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, VerbalPuke said:

Tight end is a really overrated position in American football. I feel like teams want to chase the freakish mismatch that a good one gives you, but I always felt it was a waste for bad teams to chase one early in the draft. Tight end should simply be a reliable receiver that can block well. 

Edit - Rather than “should be” I’ll say “all you need”. If you already have good WRs then nevermind the freak athlete tight end and get yourself a sturdy offensive or defensive lineman. 

I don't know if I agree with this. The most overrated position in American football is QB (but it's still the most important), followed by RB. TE is one of the positions here having one of the very best guys can make a huge difference. Great TEs are next to impossible to cover and account for from play to play, and paired with a dependable running game can be a passing game by itself.

9 hours ago, DMN said:

I don't know if I agree with this. The most overrated position in American football is QB (but it's still the most important), followed by RB. TE is one of the positions here having one of the very best guys can make a huge difference. Great TEs are next to impossible to cover and account for from play to play, and paired with a dependable running game can be a passing game by itself.

I just feel like teams over value the position when they should be addressing other needs. I’d rather have my lines in order, a good RB, and basically any non-special teams positions in order. For me, I want a TE that can block and had reliable hands. A team picking in the top ten should probably never take a TE. 

I feel like it’s becoming an obsession for GMs when they should be worrying about their trenches. 

I can understand why you’d say RB and QB since there are ways to make mediocre players at those positions look good. But at the same time I don’t have issue with allocating significant resources to RB or QB (of course you need a foundation before you get the weapons in this case). 

It’s just not a position I’d chase even if my TE play is lacking. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, MDK said:

F1 is boring as fuck and would be much better if all the cars were the same spec.

Same could be said about any sport, it would be great if all football teams had the same training facilities.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MDK said:

Not quite the same though, is it?

Why isn't it?  It's using technology and available resources to provide the best opportunity for the individual to perform, I could see the argument that the car the individual is in has a bigger impact on the outcome, but your not telling me if you had a Messi who was trained at Barce against a Messi trained at Orient they would actually be comparable in terms of overall footballer?

Just now, Rich said:

Why isn't it?  It's using technology and available resources to provide the best opportunity for the individual to perform, I could see the argument that the car the individual is in has a bigger impact on the outcome, but your not telling me if you had a Messi who was trained at Barce against a Messi trained at Orient they would actually be comparable in terms of overall footballer?

Obviously Messi at Orient > Messi at Barca.

F1 is all about the car. Its like putting a Lada up against a Veyron. I'd watch it if there was an even playing field but there isn't, thus making it boring.

2 minutes ago, MDK said:

Obviously Messi at Orient > Messi at Barca.

F1 is all about the car. Its like putting a Lada up against a Veyron. I'd watch it if there was an even playing field but there isn't, thus making it boring.

Do you watch Formula E then?