OOTP XX

Draevyn

39 minutes ago, Meacon say “Hi People!” said:

Would anybody with this be interested in an EWB online league?

We could do MLB, or Independents, or even the KBO depending on what everyone wants. But it’s the dead of winter and I’m hankering some baseball and thought I’d throw this out there for interest.

I'd be down to try. 

• Like 1

Yeah, kinda works like a split EWR/TEW game. I’d start the league and post the game data for all the managers to set their line-ups/rotations, set strategy, sign and trade players, etc. then you’d export your data and Id import it into a “‘master” file. I’d simulate the agreed upon amount (maybe two weeks? We’ll worry about that later) then I’d re-upload the data for everyone to make their changes or what have you and we’d go through the cycle again.

20 minutes ago, Maxx said:

Need to know more about what goes on with these before I could commit

What you wanna know, buttercup?

6 minutes ago, MR. BONES said:

@Meacon say “Hi People!” you told me on Steam once how to run a Watcher-type game without being inundated with job offers; how'd I go about doing that?

Hard for me to remember without it in front of me. Was it job offers or was it the auto-sim stopping because of the offers?

• 2 months later...

So no baseball means this is my outlet.

Damn do I love when you draft someone in a late round and they turn out to be good. I read something a few months back that when drafting a catcher, especially one out of high school, all you should really care about is his catching ability and personality traits. I found a 18-year old catcher from somewhere in the Midwest who already had a 65 catching ability and his personality were Leader and Loyal. He was only a one and a half star potential guy so I let him play in the bottom tier leagues for two or three year’s. By the time he was 22, he was on my top prospect list and now at age 25, he’s my starting catcher and unofficial captain. He built up a rapport with several of my homegrown pitchers, even the ones that flamed out as starters and ended up in my bullpen.

Speaking of bullpen, my first first-round pick was an 18-year old who had a fastball and change up that were way above average. But he never developed a third pitch so I moved him to the bullpen and he’s been one of the most dominant 7th inning guys in the whole league.

My first year I spent $3 million on an international outfield prospect and he flamed out, never playing higher than Double-A because I didn’t realize he was a lazy fart.

I love this game.

• Like 4

I got back into it before the shut down.  Created the United States Baseball League in 1920 with random historic debuts.  16 teams, divided into two East and west (well Midwest right now) divisions.  Figure I’ll expand it in the 50s and maybe shift to a relegation format.  Going to have to change the pitcher of the year award to The Noodles Hahn Award as he’s won it 8 times before he turned 30, including winning it 7 years in a row, with 4 league MVPs.

Meanwhile Justin Verlander recently appeared, was drafted second overall had 5 star potential/overall and absolutely cratered after his first year, he’s now 2 and 1/2 in each.  Deserves it.

• Like 3

Picked up XX a couple days ago and forgot how much I enjoyed this game and how indepth it is. I went back and fourth between starting with Ken Griffey Jr in Cincy before injuries turned him to shit, but I ultimately went with the 2001 Yankees to get that WS title they should've won. 

How does expansion work btw? Let's say if I wanted to play as Tampa or Arizona, would it be at the start of their first year or would I have to sim the year prior and draft after? 

• Like 2