OOTP XX

Draevyn

Since he’s your set up guy for the playoffs, I’m assuming your brought him in in the 7th or 8th? So he’d gone through the line up at least once by the 11th. You didn’t have anybody in your bullpen (closer?) to bring in? Was it a walk-off or were there multiple hits or walks? Were you even managing the game or was it simmed? I have no idea how online leagues work.

So I happened to look into this:

My closer, Jeremy Bryant, came into the game in the 8th inning as a defensive replacement... for my right fielder Manny Lopez.  Lopez is a three time all-star and had a WAR of 4.0 this year.  Bryant can play OF and has exceptionable defensive ratings there.  He did hit .273 in the regular season in 210 PA.  But not sure I would have subbed out Lopez and threw Bryant out there in a situation like that.

Some wacky stuff happening in the sim.  I like having two way players on my roster (have three of them), but here it didn't work out.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Heading into the 40th season in the league.  Cy Young finishes his career with one award for best pitcher and a record of 323-333 and a 3.33 ERA, playing his first year in Syracuse before the franchise moved back to Washington where he stayed the rest of his career.

The pitcher most deserving of having an award named after him is clearly Monte Ward - five time pitcher of the year, four time league champion - career record of 478-360, 2.80 ERA over more than 7,300 innings, only allowed a 1.10 WHIP including 0.1 walks per nine.  Spent his entire career in Philadelphia save for a four year stint in Troy when the franchise briefly moved.  Also his career WAR as a pitcher was 201, which is never going to be touched.  Next closest behind him is Charlie Sweeney at 168.

"Monte Ward Award" sounds awful, though.

My next game may be taking Babe Ruth and putting him in the draft in the early 90’s and letting peak Ruth hit during the steroid era. I’m curious how good he’d be. Maybe even commish mode him to the Yanks so he could use that short porch in right. Damn. Typing it up makes me want to try it right now.

• Like 1

On 29/11/2020 at 17:36, Meacon Keaton said:

My next game may be taking Babe Ruth and putting him in the draft in the early 90’s and letting peak Ruth hit during the steroid era. I’m curious how good he’d be. Maybe even commish mode him to the Yanks so he could use that short porch in right. Damn. Typing it up makes me want to try it right now.

So I did this and it wasn't as exciting as I thought.

So now I'm doing a current day game, but I'm putting 10 of the best pitchers of all-time in the draft to see how they fair in a game that's more homer-or-strike out.

I Bing'd (don't judge me, it's my laptop's default search engine :shifty:) "greatest pitchers ever" and it gave me a list of 25 or so, with their profiles, and the picture of Robin Roberts was that of former ESPN newscaster Robin Roberts. :lol: 

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Meacon Keaton said:

So I did this and it wasn't as exciting as I thought.

So now I'm doing a current day game, but I'm putting [s]10 of the best pitchers of all-time[/s]Sandy Goddamn Koufax in the draft to see how [s]they[/s] he fair(s) in a game that's more homer-or-strike out.

FTFY :shifty: 

On 01/12/2020 at 22:26, Meacon Keaton said:

So now I'm doing a current day game, but I'm putting 10 of the best pitchers of all-time in the draft to see how they fair in a game that's more homer-or-strike out.

giphy-downsized-medium.gif

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

So the Reds went from winning five straight World Series with Wagner and Lajoie winning four MVPs apiece, and near the tail end of their careers they got a ROTY performance from pitcher Babe Ruth.  Ruth was a bit uneasy as a pitcher in the following seasons, and he started playing outfield.  Had a pretty good 1919 season, but then missed 1920 following a major injury in Spring Training.

He comes back in 1921 and makes a mockery of the rest of the league, blasting 63 long balls which nearly doubled the next highest total.  And during this season, home runs exploded and seven of the top 10 home run seasons of all time happened all at once.

The Reds haven't been back to the World Series yet since the Wagner/Lajoie dynasty, but Ruth's got them on the right track.  They nearly solidified their place as the Yankees of this universe even further by drafting Lou Gehrig but he refused to sign and went to the Pirates a year later instead.

• 1 month later...

Watcher game, now that I've finally sat down and played again, 1986 season:
8XyufCo.png

1986 Playoffs:
American League:

• Game 1: Red Sox def. Mariners, 8-0
  • Game 2: Red Sox def. Mariners, 5-4
  • Game 3: Mariners def. Red Sox, 7-4
  • Game 4: Mariners def. Red Sox, 7-0
  • Game 5: Red Sox def. Mariners, 6-4
  • Game 6: Red Sox def. Mariners, 9-4
  • Series MVP is SS Ernie Riles

National League:

• Game 1: Dodgers def. Mets, 9-0
  • Game 2: Mets def. Dodgers, 4-3
  • Game 3: Dodgers def. Mets, 6-0
  • Game 4: Mets def. Dodgers, 10-8
  • Game 5: Mets def. Dodgers, 10-7
  • Game 6: Mets def. Dodgers, 4-2
  • Series MVP is some schlub with a silly last name named Darryl Strawberry who I bet never did much of note IRL :shifty:.

1986 World Series:

• Game 1: Red Sox def. Mets, 7-5
  • Game 2: Red Sox def. Mets, 2-1
  • Game 3: Red Sox def. Mets, 8-7
  • Game 4: Mets def. Red Sox, 2-0
  • Game 5: Mets def. Red Sox, 9-8
  • Game 6: Red Sox def. Mets, 2-0, timeline's borked now the Curse is over.
  • World Series MVP is P Bruce Hurst