FIFA Women's World Cup 2019

Lineker

I still can't get over the retaking of Argentina's penalty against Scotland. I can't think of any penalty ever saved where the keeper doesn't move off the line to a more natural position when the penalty taker makes their run up. A step or a hop forward is normal to cover the goal otherwise you're potentially diving into the goalposts. I am still annoyed. It wasn't even clear from the VAR if it was a penalty to begin with (I'd have given it, to be honest). I'm just a bitter man now. 😄

Anyways, I need to pick a new team now. C'mon Netherlands?

1 hour ago, Liam Mk2 said:

That first Australia penalty was absolutely woeful.

Bye bye Aussies. :)

aaaaaand back to the cricket we go.

Care to join us England?

In all seriousness, Sam Kerr did not play like a captain today - Very disappointed. Copped some rough calls on the whistle but had ample opportunity to win it at times. 

Carpenter is a jet though 😍

So glad we got that second goal because we've been so sloppy in possession going forward. I think we've generally been good against a very physical side - but yeah, can't help but feel we've got so much more in us. I keep thinking everything will eventually click in the final third, but maybe it just...won't? Still hoping Kirby starts firing, she's still not been at it and, as much as I'm a big fan, I wonder if it's time to give Georgia Stanway a run? 

Also wtf is happening with Cameroon, it's all kicking off?

Just now, Jimmy said:

So glad we got that second goal because we've been so sloppy in possession going forward. I think we've generally been good against a very physical side - but yeah, can't help but feel we've got so much more in us. I keep thinking everything will eventually click in the final third, but maybe it just...won't? Still hoping Kirby starts firing, she's still not been at it and, as much as I'm a big fan, I wonder if it's time to give Georgia Stanway a run?  

Also wtf is happening with Cameroon, it's all kicking off? 

I'd be worried about the fouls in the second half. Cameroon look like they are going to channel the spirit of Italia '90 and kick the shit out of us.

Just now, MDK said:

I'd be worried about the fouls in the second half. Cameroon look like they are going to channel the spirit of Italia '90 and kick the shit out of us.

yeah, gotta make sure we don't retaliate either, put a £1 on parris to get booked cos I assumed she might have a nibble after getting elbowed 

2 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

yeah, gotta make sure we don't retaliate either, put a £1 on parris to get booked cos I assumed she might have a nibble after getting elbowed 

Ah go on girl, get stuck in.

But that's as open and shut as "you clearly just don't know the rules, it's not racism" like, there's no ambiguity to that or case to be made. They're moaning about someone who wasn't interfering with play being offside rather than the goalscorer who wasn't at all.

Think Cameroon were a disgrace there tbh, Neville tearing in to them in his post-match interview pretty spot on.

Oh absolutely, but just by saying that they are opening up a thoughtless debate regarding the matter.

Given the state of that last tackle only getting a yellow card, I can only assume that a Mortal Kombat-style fatality would be sufficient for a red card.

The Cameroon coach:

"Unfortunately we had a goal disallowed and if we had halved the deficit, I really believe there would have been a different result come the end of the game if that goal had been allowed."

It's like he thinks VAR provides some kind of suggested action that the referee can disregard. She was offside, that's just a fact, there's no choice as to whether the goal stands or not.

• Admin

Fifa is holding a priority investigation, to be concluded within 48 hours, into the behaviour of the Cameroon team during their 3-0 loss to England in the last 16 of the Women’s World Cup on Sunday evening.

A Fifa spokesperson said: “Please note that Fifa is currently looking into the matter at this stage. Further updates will be provided in due course.” The Guardian understands that as part of the investigation Fifa is looking into all aspects of Cameroon’s behaviour and the allegations and comments made by the players and the manager, Alain Djeumfa.

Reports from the match officials and the match commissioner, Alexandra Benado of Chile, are being compiled. Usually, action cannot be taken unless there are recommendations for it in either report. However, article 72 of Fifa’s disciplinary code states: “In certain circumstances, the jurisdiction of the judicial bodies may apply.” Article 77 says the disciplinary committee is able to sanction “serious infringements which have escaped the match officials’ attention”, rectify “obvious errors in the referee’s disciplinary decisions” and pronounce “additional sanctions, such as a fine”.

These rules mean that Fifa does potentially have the power to step in and retrospectively sanction Alexandra Takounda’s late stamp on Steph Houghton, the incident when Augustine Ejangue seemingly spat on the outstretched arm of Toni Duggan and Yvonne Leuko’s early elbow in the face of Nikita Parris. “In theory, yes we can do it,” a source said.

Fifa officials are thought to be furious at complaints that the flag went up for offside before Ellen White took her shot for England’s second goal, with video footage clearly showing that she was still celebrating before the flag was raised. Had it gone up before the shot, the goal would not have stood because VAR could not be used.

It is also believed Fifa has officially adjudged the performance of the referee, China’s Qin Liang, as good and found “every decision and the use of VAR was correct, using the protocols” and were applied to the letter. Officials also think Qin did all she could to ensure a prompt restart after the VAR delays.

It is understood that Fifa accepts mistakes do happen and the referee’s decisions to overrule VAR advice on Fran Kirby’s penalty appeal and a possible Takounda red card incident late in the game were the best ways to make certain the game came to a conclusion with both teams on the pitch.